Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18 | 10:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Let’s not make this all about car ambient noise please, let’s get back to he LS500.
Seems on topic to me. My experience with the LS is they are not only quiet but the sounds you do hear are pleasant. This is not by accident many hours were spent removing the most undesirable harmonics. Also the LS does what IMO no other auto maker has duplicated, the experience stays about the same through the life of the car.

I am still disappointed Lexus dropped the V8, a V6 cannot duplicate the experience no matter how much engineering goes into it. Especially for a $100,000 car to me no V8 is unforgivable.
Old 02-26-18 | 04:21 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

For those confused, angry, concerned, and/or furstrated with the new sporty LS, you've had a few years to prepare yourselves for it.

We've been signaled, years ago, that the 5LS was going to be more like the Panamera and less like the S Class.

Great detailed review. Thanks!
Old 02-26-18 | 07:08 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the review, Steve. It confirms this is exactly the type of car I've been waiting for from Lexus. I'll stick with my GS for a while, but if I decide to move up the chain, the LS is a sure fit for me. I simply love the styling. To add to the age discussion, I am 41 years old.

I think Lexus figures those who really value quietness and passenger space will gravitate towards SUVs and CUVs anyway, so they're doing this to further differentiate the sedans from the utes. The market shift to crossovers has allowed sedans to become more sporty (less mainstream?).
Old 02-26-18 | 07:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Thanks for the review, Steve. It confirms this is exactly the type of car I've been waiting for from Lexus. I'll stick with my GS for a while, but if I decide to move up the chain, the LS is a sure fit for me. I simply love the styling. To add to the age discussion, I am 41 years old.

I think Lexus figures those who really value quietness and passenger space will gravitate towards SUVs and CUVs anyway, so they're doing this to further differentiate the sedans from the utes. The market shift to crossovers has allowed sedans to become more sporty (less mainstream?).
Well said. If people are gonna just go to cross overs, the they need to make something really different and compelling to not go that route.
Old 02-26-18 | 08:37 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

If 5LS sells at least like the competition considering its cheaper price, then bingo - Lexus has accomplished what it set out to achieve!

However, under a similar sporty niche formula, 4GS sales plummeted from 33,000 to just 23,000 units, at a time when cushy spacious E Class & cushy spacious 5 Series both set all time record sales with a 4GS-thumping 69,000 & 56,000 units respectively back in 2012 & 2013.

Like sporty niche 4GS, only time will tell how well 5LS sells relative to the competition....

Last edited by peteharvey; 02-26-18 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-26-18 | 08:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i don't think sales will be that great, not because it's a bad car, but because of suv dominance right now and lexus' choice to make it smaller and more distinctive (polarizing).
Old 02-26-18 | 09:03 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

It's more important to compare new sporty niche 5LS sales to their own sedan competition like S Class, 7 Series, A8 & G90.

Back in 2012, people used to say that sporty niche 4GS sales plumetted from 33k to 23k due to the rise in SUV sales - yet E Class & 5 Series sedans set all time record sales of 69k & 56k respectively in the same period.
Old 02-26-18 | 09:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think sales will be that great, not because it's a bad car, but because of suv dominance right now and lexus' choice to make it smaller and more distinctive (polarizing).
It will sell about 12K a year in US. Worldwide combined it will be more. It is very likely cheaper to produce this new LS model compared to the past models. Tie it in to the platform with other models as well. Should be profitable.
Old 02-26-18 | 09:43 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

It will sell about 12K a year in US. Worldwide combined it will be more. It is very likely cheaper to produce this new LS model compared to the past models. Tie it in to the platform with other models as well. Should be profitable.
Where would you get this idea? With the larger car, there is more steel, and to control weight a higher percentage is high strength steel which is more expensive. The V-6 is cheaper than a V-8, but turbos aren't cheap. They require high temp materials which are costly and intercoolers that weren't needed on the NA v-8. Then there is the amortization of all new tooling required for a new car. With any new product, there are "bugs" that pop up that had been completely worked out during the run of the previous car. Fixing these cost money.
I need the data!
Old 02-26-18 | 09:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It will sell about 12K a year in US.
Old 02-26-18 | 10:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Where would you get this idea? With the larger car, there is more steel, and to control weight a higher percentage is high strength steel which is more expensive. The V-6 is cheaper than a V-8, but turbos aren't cheap. They require high temp materials which are costly and intercoolers that weren't needed on the NA v-8. Then there is the amortization of all new tooling required for a new car. With any new product, there are "bugs" that pop up that had been completely worked out during the run of the previous car. Fixing these cost money.
I need the data!
Hope we can have a good discussion about this. I watch stuff like this this. So this is just my opinion

Lexus cut costs in various ways. It’s in the design more than anything. So now instead of two wheelbases, just one. A digital screen for the guages. E shifter. No more button on drivers seat (relocated to door panel on drivers side), no more red lights indicating door locked, so no wires, no electric power seat belt adjuster, less buttons on center console, less buttons and switches on dash. No more 5 full size spare with matching 5 wheel, The V6tt is probably a wash with the outgoing model V8 but they did not add more cost by adding a V8tt. I am 100% sure the transmission has less moving parts than past transmissions. Car manufacturers are always keen to point that out when they can. Even the remote touch device looks cheaper to manufacture. The center console does not meet the dash (I think). So easier to make. My guess is the reduced the cost.

I can assume the new features might off set the deleted content.

So perhaps my words cheaper is wrong. But they did not increase the cost to build the new LS. They found ways to keep it on par with the outgoing model.

You agree ? Disagree? Thoughts?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-26-18 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-26-18 | 11:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Its MUCH more expensive to manufacture cars now than ever before.

Rising Material costs, Labor costs, Technology development/implementation etc.
But most important is all the BS Laws that the automakers need to abide by across different countries in regards to Emissions and Safety. The cost of this is ENORMOUS!

There is a reason all the automakers are going to 1or 2 main platforms and powertrains.
Plus they are partnering together to develop engines, transmissions etc.

For most manufacturing companies - main expense is dealing with Regulations and right now it is driving up the costs like crazy for the automakers.
Old 02-26-18 | 11:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by peteharvey
If 5LS sells at least like the competition considering its cheaper price, then bingo - Lexus has accomplished what it set out to achieve!

However, under a similar sporty niche formula, 4GS sales plummeted from 33,000 to just 23,000 units, at a time when cushy spacious E Class & cushy spacious 5 Series both set all time record sales with a 4GS-thumping 69,000 & 56,000 units respectively back in 2012 & 2013.

Like sporty niche 4GS, only time will tell how well 5LS sells relative to the competition....
Originally Posted by peteharvey
It's more important to compare new sporty niche 5LS sales to their own sedan competition like S Class, 7 Series, A8 & G90.

Back in 2012, people used to say that sporty niche 4GS sales plumetted from 33k to 23k due to the rise in SUV sales - yet E Class & 5 Series sedans set all time record sales of 69k & 56k respectively in the same period.
I can't see how there is evidence that the 4GS sales went down because of a sportier nature. I think the bigger issue with the 4GS was that the 6ES came out at the same time, moving up in size to the Avalon platform. All of a sudden the ES offered similar styling, more room than the GS, and at a lower price. Perhaps stealing some of the GS sales is what allowed the 6ES to debut with strong sales (over 72k for 2013), despite the onslaught of SUV/CUV sales.

It would be like if Lexus also debuted an LS sized car, with less performance but more room, nice and soft, and for $10k less than this new LS. That's the challenge the 4GS has had to face. Luckily Lexus doesn't do this to the LS, so I think the new LS will do fine, but as you say, time will tell.

Last edited by JDR76; 02-26-18 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-26-18 | 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

ok, can we get back to SW17LS's review? for general discussion on the LS500 you should put them in the main thread. thanks.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...00-ls500h.html
Old 03-03-18 | 02:57 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Spot on. I think the LS designers have back this car into a corner that is going to be tough to come out of. I'm concerned for the future of the LS model. Hopefully it will sell good enough for a 6 gen car, whatever that may be.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion