Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 09:38 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I have to say no question the fit/finish is top notch. The shifter is counter intuitive as the guy I rode with could not figure it out and we were so far behind the pack due to his inability to put the vehicle in D, other vehicles got in between us and the pack of other LS500s. Maybe in a couple years they fix the steering and offer a V8...who knows? Or, there is nothing to fix and they researched that this is what their audience wants. I always felt that Toyota wanted to surpass the Germans and offer the same for less, but I don't get that feeling anymore, meaning there is no same, and there is no less.
The shifter is counterintuitive? This is the same shifter Toyota has been putting in the Prius for the past 15 years.
Old 05-28-18, 09:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I have to say no question the fit/finish is top notch. The shifter is counter intuitive as the guy I rode with could not figure it out and we were so far behind the pack due to his inability to put the vehicle in D, other vehicles got in between us and the pack of other LS500s. Maybe in a couple years they fix the steering and offer a V8...who knows? Or, there is nothing to fix and they researched that this is what their audience wants. I always felt that Toyota wanted to surpass the Germans and offer the same for less, but I don't get that feeling anymore, meaning there is no same, and there is no less.
Completely agree on the shifter - took me 5min to figure out how to move it into drive.
Most of the other ppl had same issue.
Throttle lag of 2-3sec even in Sport + mode is completely unacceptable imo.
The engine “noise” is also not inspiring nor welcome on a car meant for complete silence.

Also there is no way to independently Program steering, suspension, engine etc.

Overall the build quality and interior design is commendable but still below Designo Sclass or Individual interior on 7series.

Also most ppl in our group voiced desire for V8.
Old 05-28-18, 10:00 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
And not gonna drive it any time soon.
Will be interesting to see May's stats.
Let's see if 5LS is what GStar claims it to be.

Personal attacks on Peter Harvey do absolutely nothing to help Lexus 5LS sales figures.
The thread is about a car, and not about a person.

You could help 5LS sales figures long term if you give constructive feedback.
I am sure TMC would have some type of officer in charge of customer support & feedback for their products going through this subjective forum, as opposed to their regular post-sales objective polling.
Feedback is obtained from a combination of objective & subjective measures.

To maximize sales volume, one must have the mainstream volume selling product first - before one can sporty niche in low volumes.
The mainstream volume seller to the mass public financially subsidizes the low volume sporty niche for the enthusiasts.
For example, Mercedes has the top selling S Class, and only then do they niche with the low volume sporty front mid-engined low riding AMG GT 4 Door Coupe.

Likewise, BMW has the 7 Series volume selling sedans first, and only then do they niche with the low volume sporty 8 Series 4 Door Coupes.
Audi too has the A8 volume selling sedans first, and only then do they niche with the low volume sporty A8-derived Porsche Panamera 4 Door Coupes.

Lexus has no regular spacious full size luxury sedan with an A-grade quality ride, yet they are already diving into low volume sporty niche designs with a front mid-engine & low center of gravity 5LS - for a cramped full size luxury interior, and what one journalist describes as a B-grade quality ride on run-flat tires.
You don't have any Personal attack.

You do have rebuttal of extensive post of your opinion and your value, haven never driven a Lexus LS yourself to be so critical of it. Just saying.
Old 05-28-18, 10:05 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Completely agree on the shifter - took me 5min to figure out how to move it into drive.
Most of the other ppl had same issue.
Throttle lag of 2-3sec even in Sport + mode is completely unacceptable imo.
The engine “noise” is also not inspiring nor welcome on a car meant for complete silence.

Also there is no way to independently Program steering, suspension, engine etc.

Overall the build quality and interior design is commendable but still below Designo Sclass or Individual interior on 7series.

Also most ppl in our group voiced desire for V8.
I had to check the hp and tq figures (V8 vs New V6TT), a few times hearing the V8 comments. I continue to wonder what all the noise is about, when the V6 TT make way more hp, and toque than the V8 made????????

Wondering if the old previous V8 was test driven back to back with the higher hp and tq V6TT, what would be the results and comments then?
Old 05-28-18, 10:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
You don't have any Personal attack.

You do have rebuttal of extensive post of your opinion and your value, haven never driven a Lexus LS yourself to be so critical of it. Just saying.
Most movie critics were never in a movie, most sports commentators never played even some coaches never played their own sport.

This is a car chat forum full of People’s opinions. You can still analyze auto industry/ brands even if you didnt personally drive the car. Obviously a person with 1st hand experience has a much better analysis of the “feel” for the car beyond the specs.
Old 05-28-18, 10:13 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I had to check the hp and tq figures (V8 vs New V6TT), a few times hearing the V8 comments. I continue to wonder what all the noise is about, when the V6 TT make way more hp, and toque than the V8 made????????

Wondering if the old previous V8 was test driven back to back with the higher hp and tq V6TT, what would be the results and comments then?
The HP #s are way over exaggerated as has been shown in instrumented testing done by 3rd parties.
Also the tuning of transmission/ engine is setup for fuel efficiency 1st rather than sport.

There is noticeable throttle lag and some turbo lag.
I dont doubt its just as powerful as the old V8 but its definitely not as smooth or quiet.
Old 05-28-18, 10:20 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

The HP #s are way over exaggerated as has been shown in instrumented testing done by 3rd parties.
Also the tuning of transmission/ engine is setup for fuel efficiency 1st rather than sport.

There is noticeable throttle lag and some turbo lag.
I dont doubt its just as powerful as the old V8 but its definitely not as smooth or quiet.
Still kinda think tq will override lag? I get the smooth and quite, but how noticeable? Most Turbo I have driven of late, have just about made the lag of years back disappear. If driven back to back without knowing what's under the hood.

It's just so common for some crowds to stick their nose out for anything because it does not say V8. I do get the point, but hope you understand what I'm saying too.

I personally never hate more Tq, in a newer year.
Old 05-28-18, 12:04 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Torque will not override lag, the lag is what I hate the most about the IS200T, I guess it's the new Toyota Turbo trademark.
Old 05-28-18, 03:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Cars like the LS, S, 7 Series, and heck even 5 series have become so isolated and detached from the driver, that its hard to judge their performance without testing equipment. From the drivers seat they all feel the same.

Also, every car has lag, especially turbo charged.
Old 05-28-18, 03:38 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Dyno a non TurboV8. Somewhere you will see a nice dip, that surpasses a little Turbo lag.

And I understand Turbo lag. I had Turbo cars before some of us were even born.
Old 05-28-18, 03:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Good catch.
Makes me have a whole new level of appreciation of our Disagreements of your thoughts on cars, vs my opinion, because at least we have both drove the car we are disagreeing about.
Yep, exactly. I drive a lot of cars, and I don't argue with people about a car they have driven and/or have extensive experience with that I don't.

D
The steering was so light, it reminded me of driving the BMW 328 (2012) for the first time. There isn't any feel whatsoever.
What you're feeling is the electric power steering vs the hydraulic steering in your cars. Thats just kind of the nature of the beast.

This is a car chat forum full of People’s opinions. You can still analyze auto industry/ brands even if you didnt personally drive the car. Obviously a person with 1st hand experience has a much better analysis of the “feel” for the car beyond the specs.
Agree, but theres a difference between posting an opinion and constantly arguing about attributes of a car you have never even driven with people who have driven them and own them.
Old 05-28-18, 03:51 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yep, exactly. I drive a lot of cars, and I don't argue with people about a car they have driven and/or have extensive experience with that I don't.

What you're feeling is the electric power steering vs the hydraulic steering in your cars. Thats just kind of the nature of the beast.

Agree, but theres a difference between posting an opinion and constantly arguing about attributes of a car you have never even driven with people who have driven them and own them.
I guess there is a reason reviewers in the industry actually Drive the Cars they write reviews on.
Old 05-29-18, 04:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Yeah I had always heard Porsche does it best, and it still isn't as good (EPS). From the various rentals I've had in the last 3-4 yrs., I would say the Malibu was the best steering. Nissan was much different imho than the LS500 from Sun. It stayed heavier, felt artificial, and was really heavy when standing still, both Pathfinder and Maxima. That's why I think everyone should stash a BMW E9x in the garage just for a reference, they are cheap enough these days to have a toss about car as a spare.

When I had a '16 BMW 3 for 4 1/2 mos. did I get used to the steering? Yes. All the modes didn't help, sport, sport +, exaggerated the artificialness, so I just did the ECO PRO. As soon as I got into my Maxima or wife's car, I felt whoa this steering is heavy, and good. It is what it is...

I think it is noticeable on the LS500, but one would probably get used to it, until going back to an older car. If one never goes back to an older car, likely one would forget and feel it's fine.
Old 05-29-18, 04:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Dyno a non TurboV8. Somewhere you will see a nice dip, that surpasses a little Turbo lag.

And I understand Turbo lag. I had Turbo cars before some of us were even born.
for the paper chasers, I have two vehicles that are close in numbers, for HP/TQ:

I6 twin turbo: 300/300

V8 na: 278/312

Which motor would I want in say a mid-sized SUV or pickup? The V8. And it has zero to do with the numbers on paper.

In talking to a car tuner, I said talk to me like I'm 3 y.o. and tell me what's different about a turbo in 2017 (last year), and 1988?

"Fuel delivery."
Old 05-29-18, 07:57 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

for the paper chasers, I have two vehicles that are close in numbers, for HP/TQ:

I6 twin turbo: 300/300

V8 na: 278/312

Which motor would I want in say a mid-sized SUV or pickup? The V8. And it has zero to do with the numbers on paper.

In talking to a car tuner, I said talk to me like I'm 3 y.o. and tell me what's different about a turbo in 2017 (last year), and 1988?

"Fuel delivery."
Not sure what you are trying to say here? That a unnamed Turner tells you everything?

As many Cars as I have had or Moded to F/I I don't need a Tuner to explain to me like I'm a 3 years Old. LOL! And the LS500 thread topic is Not a mid-sized SUV nor pickup.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion