Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 06:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Like I say - nearly 12 years development - so much time and effort - cast aluminium alloy strut mounts etc - for only 1k/month
You do realize they sell cars places other than the USA right?
Old 05-31-18, 06:45 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You do realize they sell cars places other than the USA right?
Excuses, excuses, excuses.
1k/month = 1k/month
Old 05-31-18, 07:36 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Just pointing this out: Ultimately, we all know that crossovers, especially in luxury car land, are eating sedans' lunch in sales. So, the lower sales targets are simply due to reduced demand, something that auto makers plan for. You have to compare it with other models from competing brands in order to get an accurate picture. Not sure if there's enough data for that yet.
Old 05-31-18, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Excuses, excuses, excuses.
1k/month = 1k/month
Very American of you lol
Old 05-31-18, 08:18 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Just pointing this out: Ultimately, we all know that crossovers, especially in luxury car land, are eating sedans' lunch in sales. So, the lower sales targets are simply due to reduced demand, something that auto makers plan for. You have to compare it with other models from competing brands in order to get an accurate picture. Not sure if there's enough data for that yet.
+1 Arentz. Good point. We have to calculate the SUV/CUV craze that's going on right now in the USA. This trend is definitely eating up Sedan Sales numbers. As a result, we can see lower sales numbers for the newer LS.

Secondly - there isn't really a big demand for "Full-Size" large *** luxury sedans anymore. Car enthusiasts and VIP-Style geeks (like me) still love them but for the general public - its just not appealing to them.
Old 05-31-18, 08:46 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Very American of you lol

Yes, but I am quite shocked, though hopefully Akio's team can regroup to hit back with the 5.5LS midlife facelift/refresh normally due in 3.5 years time.
And maybe you can lease the refresh Steve for SW21LS...
Old 06-01-18, 05:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

LOL, says who? I own a business and I have sales targets, my sales targets are not to be anywhere near "#1". My sales targets are not to "save face".

Again, says who?

You say its gone to waste yet you have never even driven the car? Its a great car!
What is this need to drive a car to know how it drives? Consumer Reports stated in 2015 that there was nothing sporty about the new GTI! Because they knew this to be the case! (I think nowadays there's a certain hipster aspect to devil's advocate or going against the grain)
Old 06-01-18, 07:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'm very curious if the trend will start reversing itself. Gas prices on the East coast has rocketed by about 20% at the pump for premium, and we are not talking about a brand name like a Shell or Exxon.
Old 06-01-18, 10:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Unfortunately, sales targets can be set very low to save face.

only if you are running tiny company and dont have investors. You are being very childish.
Old 06-01-18, 11:37 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What is this need to drive a car to know how it drives? Consumer Reports stated in 2015 that there was nothing sporty about the new GTI! Because they knew this to be the case! (I think nowadays there's a certain hipster aspect to devil's advocate or going against the grain)
You need to drive a car to know how it drives. If you don't drive it, then you are only assuming on how it drives...

Originally Posted by situman
I'm very curious if the trend will start reversing itself. Gas prices on the East coast has rocketed by about 20% at the pump for premium, and we are not talking about a brand name like a Shell or Exxon.
I'll bet money the trend will reverse once gas prices hit a peak of where they were like in 2008.

Another factor, I like to point out is: cities are getting more and more dense. Parking is starting to look like its non-existence. Sooner or later - we might favor smaller cars like the European and Asian market. (This is one of the reasons American car companies need to understand about foreign market - they prefer smaller cars; not trucks.)
Old 06-01-18, 12:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Time to rename this thread, "Why I hate Lexus and other irrational thoughts"
Old 06-01-18, 02:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G Star
lol, I feel like I rarely post in here but if you believe my posts in the thread have warranted the status of "fanaticism", how would you characterize yourself? I find it quite ironic. Almost troll-like.

What claim did I make again? I'd like you to back that up with some quotes.

Also ironic! The poster who continuously talks about criticism leading to better products seemingly refuses to try the products which he claims are flawed, and report the results

Correct me if I'm wrong, those that are bothered the most by flaws would be the ones most likely to report those flaws vs. those who are satisfied would be ones who are less likely to report.

Am I in the twilight zone? Another case of "do as I say, not as I do?"
I am not God.
I am nothing.
My test driving 5LS won't make any difference to 5LS sales.

GS69 just released 5LS sales for May at 908 units.
They better start discounting, otherwise even face saving sales targets won't be reached.

The most important point is for the design team to regroup in preparation for the mid-life update only 3 years away.
Rather than design a sporty niche car, and have buyers adjust to the 5LS, ergonomics is about designing a 5.5LS that fits the needs & wants of drivers.

Steve is a potential buyer.
Now, fulfil his needs wants & tastes and he'll sign on the dotted line!

Only 2 years away, the next generation 2020-27 Mercedes S Class will be on sale...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-01-18 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 02:32 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I am not God.
I am nothing.
My test driving 5LS won't make any difference to 5LS sales.

GS69 just released 5LS sales for May at 908 units.
They better start discounting, otherwise even face saving sales targets won't be reached.

The most important point is for the design team to regroup in preparation for the mid-life update only 3 years away.
Rather than design a sporty niche car, and have buyers adjust to the 5LS, ergonomics is about designing a 5.5LS that fits the needs & wants of drivers.

Steve is a potential buyer.
Now, fulfil his needs wants & tastes and he'll sign on the dotted line!

Only 2 years away, the next generation 2020-27 Mercedes S Class will be on sale...
January 116
February 548
March 1,008
April 999
May 908

These are the sales numbers for the 5LS so far. And so far - its averaging better sales monthly than 2015, 2016, and 2017. So the 5LS is doing pretty good.

Your whole basis is that the "older" S-Class sells more than the 5LS so the LS sucks and the S-Class is good? Just because the S-Class is selling more doesn't mean its better.

Where's the hate for the 7 Series? The 7 Series right now is selling worst than the 5LS and the S-Class. I guess the BMW 7 Series should buckle down and get ready for the refresh too.
Lexus and Japanese car brands always get the hate, oddly enough. Lexus copies Germans = hate. Lexus don't copies German and does their own thing = hate. MB/BMW is strangely immune to this hate. MB is in this area from the car world where literally nothing they do is wrong. IE: Their C-Class is either made in Mexico or South Africa. Yet - no one complains about that. Its rather annoying someone has to pay 50K plus for a car and the car is made in South Africa - that doesn't scream import.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 06-01-18 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 02:39 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
January 116
February 548
March 1,008
April 999
May 908

These are the sales numbers for the 5LS so far. And so far - its averaging better sales monthly than 2015, 2016, and 2017. So the 5LS is doing pretty good.

Your whole basis is that the "older" S-Class sells more than the 5LS so the LS sucks and the S-Class is good? Just because the S-Class is selling more doesn't mean its better.

Lexus and Japanese car brands always get the hate, oddly enough. Lexus copies Germans = hate. Lexus don't copies German and does their own thing = hate. MB/BMW is strangely immune to this hate. MB is in this area from the car world where literally nothing they do is wrong. IE: Their C-Class is either made in Mexico or South Africa. Yet - no one complains about that. Its rather annoying someone has to pay 50K plus for a car and the car is made in South Africa - that doesn't scream import.
Historically, all previous four generations of LS's were great cars, and on debut - the LS line has always outsold their S Class counterparts.
The current generation 5 year old S Class debut with 5,678 sales in its first 3 months.
Now, if 5LS is selling 908 units in May, would you like to imagine what 5LS will sell in a few years time?
No one wants to invest a considerable amount of time and money into a vehicle - only to see sales plummet.

There is no point pretending.
No point turning a blind eye, and no point sweeping it under the carpet.
Let's be frank.
We must take the dirt with the gravy.

No - 5LS sales does not "suck".
However, yes - President Akio does take note - I'm sure he is no dummy. He knows...
So expect a decent counter-response just 3 years away at the 5.5LS mid-life update.

I'd say it's important for Akio to realize that we can apply the no more boring cars formula to the lower half of the market, but we can't just apply the no more boring cars formula to the upper half of the market, in particular the flagship sedan - unless we are willing to compromize sales.
The bulk majority of full size luxury sedan owners like Steve, are not interested in low center of gravity front mid-engine sedan with a compromized cabin size riding on run flat tires.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-01-18 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 03:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

He has said that he is willing to compromise sales.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion