Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-18, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I'm very curious if the trend will start reversing itself. Gas prices on the East coast has rocketed by about 20% at the pump for premium, and we are not talking about a brand name like a Shell or Exxon.

That summer increase is probably not long-term. Though we don't necessarily see it every year, it is more or less normal for gas prices to go up in May, right before the annual summer vacation season, as demand for gas increases with more miles driven in the summer. More often than not, unless there is a major disruption in the supply, prices come down after Labor day, when family vacations end and kids go back to school.
Old 06-01-18, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
He has said that he is willing to compromise sales.

That's exactly what will happen if you and others do what Bitkahuna did, and go get yourself a G90 next time....although, from your previous posts, I get the impression that you still prefer the LS because of brand-image.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-01-18 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 07:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's exactly what will happen if you and others do what Bitkahuna did, and go get yourself a G90 next time....although, from your previous posts, I get the impression that you still prefer the LS because of brand-image.
I would get G80 over GS.
I can live with the Hyundai Genesis G90 badge, however I wish the G90 was as well styled on the outside as the G80.
Old 06-01-18, 09:17 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure why so many are defending the LS.
Lexus did a **** poor job with It especially if you consider they took 11-12yrs to bring this new generation.

They couldn’t decide what direction to take the LS and what you got as a result is a confused car.
Its like a bad combination of a Panamera and Sclass with the end result being neither.

It doesn’t have 50% of Panamera performance but sacrifices interior room, lower ride height, smaller trunk therefore making it much less attractive for existing clients yet not enough performance to be considered “sporty”
It cant compete now at all with Sclass in stature (no V8, small back seat area) and it will turn off many loyal LS buyers who always looked at LS as a discounted Sclass.

This LS makes no statement with its styling, performance or technology. A NEW flagship, especially one hitting the market after 10 YEARS is supposed to bring a new direction for the brand in some way and this LS does none of that.

After my test drive, I forgot about it in 20minutes.

The LC on ther hand is a show stopper and at the very least sets the styling bar for Lexus.
Why the new LS didn’t share some of the LC elements is beyond me.

People at the LS Lexus event were 50/50 on the car but nobody said “OMG this thing is amazing!”
Old 06-01-18, 09:52 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think your post is a little outrageous. The LS is only behind the S-Class in sales. Lots of people purchase the S-Class just because it's the 'big Benz', it'll probably always be #1 in this segment. There's obviously more to the LS coming. They're not just going to leave it alone and hope for the best. Maybe we'll see an F version with a V8 and maybe a V8 non-F version for a higher price? Time will only tell.
Old 06-01-18, 09:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TF109B
Think your post is a little outrageous. The LS is only behind the S-Class in sales. Lots of people purchase the S-Class just because it's the 'big Benz', it'll probably always be #1 in this segment. There's obviously more to the LS coming. They're not just going to leave it alone and hope for the best. Maybe we'll see an F version with a V8 and maybe a V8 non-F version for a higher price? Time will only tell.
Why though?
Over the past 30 years, on debut - the LS has NEVER been behind the S Class in sales.
On debut, why should the all new 5LS - after 12 years development & countless millions/billions of dollars in R&D - fall behind in sales?
On debut, if the all new 5LS is behind sales targets now with just 908 units in May, do you realize how many units 5LS will pump out in several years time??
Old 06-01-18, 10:03 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Why though?
Over the past 30 years, on debut - the LS has NEVER been behind the S Class in sales.
On debut, why should the all new 5LS - after 12 years development & countless millions/billions of dollars in R&D - fall behind in sales?
On debut, if the all new 5LS is behind sales targets now with just 908 units in May, do you realize how many units 5LS will pump out in several years time??
Even if it does 900-1000 units per month, that'll be over 10,000 units sold in 2018 in only 11 full months. That's their target. How is that "behind"? We can't tell what the sales will be in the coming months and if deals will be made. Lexus makes money off the ES and RX. That's what people want from Lexus. Why doesn't Mercedes or BMW have the same type of sales for those categories? Those "billions" in R&D are easily offset by future products using the same architecture as the LS and LC. I'd wager the bread winners in the RX/ES more than make up for it.
Old 06-01-18, 10:05 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Why does it matter so much to you? Plus you are on a Lexus Forum. If you don't like the car, just stop posting after you have addressed your opinion. I personally like the LS500, for what it represents.

This LS makes no statement with its styling, performance or technology. A NEW flagship, especially one hitting the market after 10 YEARS is supposed to bring a new direction for the brand in some way and this LS does none of that.
To me personally Mercedes Benz S-Class shape looks like person laying down upright with big beer belly on four wheels. BMW looks like every other BMW, Its styling has no imagination, presence, stature or elegance. Audi has the same problem, the A8 looks every other VW. But I love hove the new updated Porsche styling especially Panamera (non wagon) looks, but its expensive for what you get and is overlay complicated and looks like it has cramped interior.
Old 06-01-18, 10:35 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
January 116

Where's the hate for the 7 Series? The 7 Series right now is selling worst than the 5LS and the S-Class. I guess the BMW 7 Series should buckle down and get ready for the refresh too.

Lexus and Japanese car brands always get the hate, oddly enough. Lexus copies Germans = hate. Lexus don't copies German and does their own thing = hate.

MB/BMW is strangely immune to this hate. MB is in this area from the car world where literally nothing they do is wrong. IE: Their C-Class is either made in Mexico or South Africa. Yet - no one complains about that. Its rather annoying someone has to pay 50K plus for a car and the car is made in South Africa - that doesn't scream import.
I see the ugly 5GT more than the new 7.

Don't forget: Lexus made comfortable cruiser=boring oversize camry Maytag vanilla appliance
Lexus makes new LS more sporty= Lost their old ways, alienating their core buyers,...
Old 06-01-18, 11:18 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Time to rename this thread, "Why I hate Lexus and other irrational thoughts"
Comment of the thread.

The Lexus hate in this thread is unreal - its almost hitting troll-level. The 5G Lexus LS is an amazing car. I test drove it with the Kirko Glass Package. Based on the price, the luxury and the performance - the 5G LS is a much much 10x much better car than the S450 and 740i. The problem is: the MB S-Class will always be the "lead" or the "definition" of this segment. People default to MB for this class so its already an up-hill battle for Lexus.

Note: To the people that think Lexus took 12 years to make the 5G LS and it still sucks. You have realize that Lexus wasn't making this car for 12 years. They probably started developing it late into the 4G LS Model Year so in reality - it took them less than 4 years probably. The 5G LS is huge improvement over the 4G LS.
Old 06-01-18, 11:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TF109B
Even if it does 900-1000 units per month, that'll be over 10,000 units sold in 2018 in only 11 full months. That's their target. How is that "behind"? We can't tell what the sales will be in the coming months and if deals will be made. Lexus makes money off the ES and RX. That's what people want from Lexus. Why doesn't Mercedes or BMW have the same type of sales for those categories? Those "billions" in R&D are easily offset by future products using the same architecture as the LS and LC. I'd wager the bread winners in the RX/ES more than make up for it.
In its first 3 month, the current model Mercedes S Class sold 5,678 units, and a lusty 25,276 units in its first full year.
On debut, if the previous 4 generations of LS have outsold the S Class, why should 5LS be any different?

For example, against the previous generation 2006 Mercedes S Class' 30,886 units, in its first full year, the previous generation 2007 4LS punched a thumping 35,226 units!
Why should 5LS all of a sudden fall behind S Class in sales?

Do you seriously think President Akio is NOT aware of this?
President Akio is at least as intelligent as you and I.

If there is a problem - fix it!
Don't just turn a blind eye, and cover it up.
Be constructive - problem solve - fix it...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-01-18 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 11:44 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lexus did a **** poor job with It especially if you consider they took 11-12yrs to bring this new generation.

They couldn’t decide what direction to take the LS and what you got as a result is a confused car.
Its like a bad combination of a Panamera and Sclass with the end result being neither.

It doesn’t have 50% of Panamera performance but sacrifices interior room, lower ride height, smaller trunk therefore making it much less attractive for existing clients yet not enough performance to be considered “sporty”
It cant compete now at all with Sclass in stature (no V8, small back seat area) and it will turn off many loyal LS buyers who always looked at LS as a discounted Sclass.

After my test drive, I forgot about it in 20minutes.

The LC on ther hand is a show stopper and at the very least sets the styling bar for Lexus.
Why the new LS didn’t share some of the LC elements is beyond me.

People at the LS Lexus event were 50/50 on the car but nobody said “OMG this thing is amazing!”
My reaction to my LS500 drive was much different. I found it to be a great driving sports sedan that was smooth, quiet, fast, and cornered like a much smaller car. Sort of like a 7 series that handled like a good 3 series but was large enough for people and comfortable. My disappointment was that it was not a better LS460 like I wanted, but a new kind of LS that doesn't fit my wants/needs. I guess what I wanted was a Lexus S Class.
Old 06-01-18, 11:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldcajun
My reaction to my LS500 drive was much different. I found it to be a great driving sports sedan that was smooth, quiet, fast, and cornered like a much smaller car. Sort of like a 7 series that handled like a good 3 series but was large enough for people and comfortable. My disappointment was that it was not a better LS460 like I wanted, but a new kind of LS that doesn't fit my wants/needs. I guess what I wanted was a Lexus S Class.
You are correct and spot on.
We must design to fit consumer needs, and not the other way around.
Old 06-01-18, 11:50 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess what I wanted was a Lexus S Class.
Many people are on this boat - they want a Lexus S-Class. However - I won't fault Lexus for going against the grain and developing their own vision of what a full-size luxury sedan should be. I guess, what I'm trying to say is, why should the S-Class decide what other cars be like? Every car should be unique to themselves rather than trying to copy others.
Old 06-02-18, 12:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Sums up my opinion as well.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
You are correct and spot on.
We must design to fit consumer needs, and not the other way around.
Or we can acknowledge that just because something doesn’t fit our needs doesn’t mean it’s bad, it’s just designed for a different consumer.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion