Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-18, 10:53 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Those that don't like the LS, don't buy it . Pretty simple
Old 06-02-18, 12:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
From what I am reading, most people on here do not understand how marketing works and they claim they are immune to marketing which is B.S. or otherwise they would not bring up the old marketing stuff. If somebody wants the "old school" boring, quiet, sedate type of sedan, Lincoln and Buick will gladly offer you a huge discount in some cases up to 25% off their cars, the poor value of those brands is what Toyota is trying to avoid with their Lexus brand.
Actually, no, that's not the case. To a large degree, many people here on Car Chat are more or less immune to marketing, because they know what they like and dislike in vehicles, what kind of vehicle they want to drive, and how much they are willing to pay for it. And they know (or can figure out) when they are being ignored or fed a line of B.S. from the manufacturers.
Old 06-02-18, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Proportions of this car are horrendous! And people bag on Lexus for their styling.

Looks like they are also copying the Buick portholes on the front fender. I don't usually pan manufacturers for more-or-less-copycat features, as it is difficult, nowadays, to design something that is truly original in terms of styling...almost everything has already been tried in one form or another. But that as is blatant a rip-off-copy as I've ever seen.
Old 06-02-18, 02:12 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I disagree.
We must agree to disagree.

Kiichiro Toyoda was the founder.

Eiji Toyoda is credited with making Toyota Motor Corp the success that it is today.

Grandson Akio Toyoda is evolving TMC into a "no more boring" confusing mixture of cheap non-dynamic FWD-based platforms with cheap single lower link front MacPherson strut suspension - combined with dynamic low center of gravity front mid-engined 5LS - but complicated by the possible axing of the dynamic RWD-based 5GS.
Confused?

Now, with current S Class debuting with 5,678 sales in its first three full months, while all new 5LS selling just 908 units in its third full month & below sales target - we just have to "smile" like Roberto Duran to pretend we're not hurt before falling to the canvas.
It's normal for humans to act tough and pretend we're not hurt, when we really are hurt...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-02-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 02:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks like they are also copying the Buick portholes on the front fender. I don't usually pan manufacturers for more-or-less-copycat features, as it is difficult, nowadays, to design something that is truly original in terms of styling...almost everything has already been tried in one form or another. But that as is blatant a rip-off-copy as I've ever seen.
I wonder if the portholes on the Maserati are real or fake? Probably fake since the engine most likely doesn't need the extra cooling.
Old 06-02-18, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I wonder if the portholes on the Maserati are real or fake? Probably fake since the engine most likely doesn't need the extra cooling.

They're fake on Buicks nowadays, too....have been for decades. In fact, they were fake on both of the 1965 Buicks I owned, much less my 21st-century Verano and Lacrosse.

I don't want to take the thread too far off-topic, but I'll just briefly explain quickly that the portholes, like the first tail fins on late-40s Cadillacs, were the brainstorm of Harley Earl, the legendary GM Chief Stylist. He based his idea for the Cadillac tail-fins on the World War II P-38 fighter and its twin-boom fuselage, and the Buick portholes on the exhaust side-ports of the water-cooled V-engines used in many World War II aircraft. The open portholes on the Buicks, of course, were also meant to allow at least some cooling air under the hood.
Old 06-02-18, 03:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Proportions of this car are horrendous! And people bag on Lexus for their styling.
The Maserati Quattroporte has a sporting-luxury full size sedan history spanning over 50 years!
The 5LS is just a copy and has been heavily influenced by the current model 2012 Quattroporte, because Akio himself regularly races his Maserati at the Nurburgring.

The Quattroporte model has a history spanning over half a decade.
It is a genuine low center of gravity front mid-engine full size sporting-luxury sedan.
As opposed to undergoing a fake personality change come 2018.

2002-12 Maserati Quattroporte:

2012-current Maserati Quattroporte:

2018-25 Lexus 5LS:

One of the two below looks like a klutz:

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-02-18 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 07:27 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This topic has been beaten to death, and then beaten some more.
Agreed. This dead horse has been so overbeaten that it is surprising that there is anything left to beat... but Pete is still beating something.

On second thought, there really is nothing left to beat, as it seems that people are beating upon everything and anything else now but still blaming it on the new LS.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't blame Pete for that, though...blame the Lexus marketers. They are the reason it keeps getting pounded on.
I cannot agree. That is like saying that because I do not like Mr. Trump, I should blame his mother for giving birth to him, even though I have never met her, never knew her, never knew what sort of person she was.
Old 06-02-18, 08:03 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I saw 2 new LSs today, a darker-coloured one driving on the road and a white one sitting in a driveway that I have seen before when I drive down that street. I have to say that they definitely do not look as hideous as some here would have you think.

I did not know at first glance what car the darker-coloured one was. The vertical chrome strakes that extend down from the outside edge of the taillamps was barely visible in that colour and in that glance that I saw it so I was not sure what car it was until I thought about it more.

To my eyes, the new LS does look like a Lexus, from the shape of the taillamps to the general profile shape of the car. You can definitely see it as an evolution of the 4th-generation LS through the 6th-generation ES. It is a handsome car and one that I would be proud to have sit in my driveway.
Old 06-02-18, 10:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,422 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The Maserati Quattroporte has a sporting-luxury full size sedan history spanning over 50 years!
The 5LS is just a copy and has been heavily influenced by the current model 2012 Quattroporte, because Akio himself regularly races his Maserati at the Nurburgring.

The Quattroporte model has a history spanning over half a decade.
It is a genuine low center of gravity front mid-engine full size sporting-luxury sedan.
As opposed to undergoing a fake personality change come 2018.

2002-12 Maserati Quattroporte:

2012-current Maserati Quattroporte:

2018-25 Lexus 5LS:

One of the two below looks like a klutz:

There are a few more cars that could fit in like the pictures. Its not just the LS that has that same look.
Old 06-03-18, 07:21 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Was at a car event yesterday in Greenwich CT - Lexus, BMW and Caddy were offering test drives.

LS500 and LSh was there.
I asked to drive the luxury version with the Kiriko glass - the lady said, we don’t have those here thay are over $120k.
And these are not dealer reps but Lexus HQ marketing people. You are displaying your new Flagship car in one of the most affluent places in the world, how do you not bring at least for display the top line luxury version???

They also had new ES Fsport there - has a GREAT interior with really supportive seats.
The rear room is MUCH larger than LS for sure. This thing will sell like crazy.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-03-18 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-03-18, 09:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Not surprised Lexus did not have highest end LS

nice that you saw the new ES. I think the design is better than the LS500. Hard to believe the rear will be larger than the LS.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-03-18 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-03-18, 10:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

The dash of the ES is a little bare/plasticky to me, at least in person...
Old 06-03-18, 10:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

ES looks more open and spacious. The horns also are not as pronounced or noticeable in the ES. I also love the bamboo wood in one of the videos in the ES forum. Still amazed how similar in size these two cars are.
Old 06-03-18, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
ES looks more open and spacious. The horns also are not as pronounced or noticeable in the ES. I also love the bamboo wood in one of the videos in the ES forum. Still amazed how similar in size these two cars are.
I need to see a non F-Sport one, the vast majority of the pictures I've seen are of the F Sport...

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion