Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-18, 10:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Just watched the video you were talking about Jill, interior looks much better in the non F Sport, looking forward to seeing one in person...
Old 06-03-18, 11:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The dash of the ES is a little bare/plasticky to me, at least in person...
I think for its class its very good.

The LS interior is on a completely other level from a quality standpoint.
Old 06-03-18, 12:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Those that don't like the LS, don't buy it . Pretty simple
We can have opinions whether or not we intend to buy,

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The dash of the ES is a little bare/plasticky to me, at least in person...
At 40 large less than your car, i can see how you'd see it that way.

Old 06-03-18, 12:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
We can have opinions whether or not we intend to buy,
Sure, no one said you can't. Just pointing out how some commentary is
Old 06-03-18, 02:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Today while running some errands I saw a black LS500 on display in front of the Lexus dealer near me. First one I'd seen in the flesh. It stickered at $104k. I think the base price was $78k before options.

I was impressed - Very nice presence in black As with a lot of new cars it looked better (to me) in person vs. the pictures.

I was surprised to see that this car came from a Lexus dealer in Des Moines, IA which is 350 miles away. Seems like a long way for a dealer transfer on a car that didn't appear to be sold.
Old 06-03-18, 03:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sure, no one said you can't. Just pointing out how some commentary is
My comments were basically directed at how 5LS only managed to attract 908 customers in May, and what they must do to improve.
Old 06-03-18, 03:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Today while running some errands I saw a black LS500 on display in front of the Lexus dealer near me. First one I'd seen in the flesh. It stickered at $104k. I think the base price was $78k before options.

I was impressed - Very nice presence in black As with a lot of new cars it looked better (to me) in person vs. the pictures.

I was surprised to see that this car came from a Lexus dealer in Des Moines, IA which is 350 miles away. Seems like a long way for a dealer transfer on a car that didn't appear to be sold.
Could have been a dealer trade, and that was the vehicle your dealer got for sending another LS to be sold at Des Moines.
Old 06-03-18, 08:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
At 40 large less than your car, i can see how you'd see it that way.
LOL, in all seriousness though not comparing it to my car, just saying that I like to see some kind of wood or something on the dash to break that up, although the non F Sport trims have wood up higher on the dash.
Old 06-03-18, 11:14 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Was at a car event yesterday in Greenwich CT - Lexus, BMW and Caddy were offering test drives.

LS500 and LSh was there.
I asked to drive the luxury version with the Kiriko glass - the lady said, we don’t have those here thay are over $120k.
And these are not dealer reps but Lexus HQ marketing people. You are displaying your new Flagship car in one of the most affluent places in the world, how do you not bring at least for display the top line luxury version???

They also had new ES Fsport there - has a GREAT interior with really supportive seats.
The rear room is MUCH larger than LS for sure. This thing will sell like crazy.
Kiriko is a unique Japanese tradition of hand-cutting delicate patterns onto glass that produces stunning and different reflections at different angles. I believe this is the sole reason why they will never let the general public really test-drive or sit in one without actually buying it. You think Lexus is just going to let a bunch of people go into a Lexus LS with hand-cut glass? They probably have these at limited production - meaning - they probably don't have enough of them to send around the world to car events either way.

Second - Greenwich, CT is an affluent area. However - Greenwich has a population of under 70,000 people. It doesn't scream market-potential because its not a "known" city. To be honest - I have never even heard of Greenwich till today.
Note: Around the San Francisco Bay Area - I have seen 3 Lexus LS with Kiriko packages on dealer lots already.

The Lexus ES is made to sell like crazy. Its made for mass production and for Toyota to make money. It doesn't mean its made to be a good car. That's debatable.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not surprised Lexus did not have highest end LS

nice that you saw the new ES. I think the design is better than the LS500. Hard to believe the rear will be larger than the LS.
No. The Lexus ES design is not better than the LS nor the quality. My biggest issue with the ES interior design is that huge cheap plastic looking material flowing from the passenger side to the center dash. That makes it look cheap.
Old 06-04-18, 05:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Was at a car event yesterday in Greenwich CT - Lexus, BMW and Caddy were offering test drives.

LS500 and LSh was there.
I asked to drive the luxury version with the Kiriko glass - the lady said, we don’t have those here thay are over $120k.
And these are not dealer reps but Lexus HQ marketing people. You are displaying your new Flagship car in one of the most affluent places in the world, how do you not bring at least for display the top line luxury version???

They also had new ES Fsport there - has a GREAT interior with really supportive seats.
The rear room is MUCH larger than LS for sure. This thing will sell like crazy.

I think the dash (HVAC area and in front of passenger) might look a lot nicer in real life? So far previews said it was really a step up... For $40k, it is obviously very well done, and those doors have a lot of leather on them.
Old 06-04-18, 09:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I think the dash (HVAC area and in front of passenger) might look a lot nicer in real life? So far previews said it was really a step up... For $40k, it is obviously very well done, and those doors have a lot of leather on them.
The material on the doors definitely won't be leather.
Old 06-04-18, 09:53 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
In the picture above - the small black part at the center of the door looks like leather. However - the red part and the rest of the door will be plastic and "soft-touch" material.
Old 06-04-18, 10:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
In the picture above - the small black part at the center of the door looks like leather. However - the red part and the rest of the door will be plastic and "soft-touch" material.
The black looks like vinyl to me. Maybe it's leather designed to look like plastic. But that doesn't look like any LS I saw, so we're talking ES now I guess. The speaker grille looks like a sponge. Why do audio cos. license their names like that, I want to know...
Old 06-04-18, 10:56 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The black looks like vinyl to me. Maybe it's leather designed to look like plastic. But that doesn't look like any LS I saw, so we're talking ES now I guess. The speaker grille looks like a sponge. Why do audio cos. license their names like that, I want to know...
Good point. It could be vinyl. I'm not 100% sure.

But agreed the ES speaker grille looks like a sponge. They could have done a better job with that.
Old 06-04-18, 12:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

There is no reason to use animal skins the faux leather out there is nearly as good. And it will probably last longer.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion