Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 12:19 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
There is no reason to use animal skins the faux leather out there is nearly as good. And it will probably last longer.
But but but according to many people dead animal skin is "real luxury".
Old 06-04-18, 12:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
In the picture above - the small black part at the center of the door looks like leather. However - the red part and the rest of the door will be plastic and "soft-touch" material.
red stuff looks like leather just like the black leather in between. It is usually softex so it will wear less. Only bottom part is plastic.
Old 06-04-18, 01:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Kiriko is a unique Japanese tradition of hand-cutting delicate patterns onto glass that produces stunning and different reflections at different angles. I believe this is the sole reason why they will never let the general public really test-drive or sit in one without actually buying it.
huh? just because it's glass doesn't mean it's fragile.

You think Lexus is just going to let a bunch of people go into a Lexus LS with hand-cut glass? They probably have these at limited production - meaning - they probably don't have enough of them to send around the world to car events either way.
if it were a roll royce i might understand, but this starting 6 figure lexus isn't.

Second - Greenwich, CT is an affluent area. However - Greenwich has a population of under 70,000 people. It doesn't scream market-potential because its not a "known" city. To be honest - I have never even heard of Greenwich till today.
that area probably has one of the highest percentage of EXTREMELY wealthy C titles in the world (who commute or take a helicopter into Manhattan).

to NOT have your top offering at an event that cost a lot to put on is pure #fail imo.

The Lexus ES design is not better than the LS nor the quality.
i agree with that.

My biggest issue with the ES interior design is that huge cheap plastic looking material flowing from the passenger side to the center dash. That makes it look cheap.
at less than half the price of an LS, it's just not possible to look crazy good.

There is no reason to use animal skins the faux leather out there is nearly as good. And it will probably last longer.
i agree.
Old 06-04-18, 01:54 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,910 Likes on 1,975 Posts

+1, I wouldn't mind having NuLuxe or something similar across the board for entry-level models like the ES. Heck I would even take it in upper-tier models too. I like the idea of it being both more sustainable AND easier to care for. Besides when I first experienced it, I was surprised at how good it felt to the touch.
Old 06-04-18, 01:59 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
huh? just because it's glass doesn't mean it's fragile.
I was specifically referring to the glass panels. They are hand made and hand cut. My assumption is that there is a limited supply in production and they couldn't share extras for events. That's just me playing devil's advocate.

if it were a roll royce i might understand, but this starting 6 figure lexus isn't.
I agree. They could have tried someway to find out how to get the Kiriko glass version to these events.

that area probably has one of the highest percentage of EXTREMELY wealthy C titles in the world (who commute or take a helicopter into Manhattan).
to NOT have your top offering at an event that cost a lot to put on is pure #fail imo.
I agree. Its a wealthy area. But I was playing devil's advocate by saying its not a high concentration of wealthy people there. The city has a population of under 70 thousand people and its not even on the top 30 places rich people live in the world. Nor its the top 30 richest county in the USA either. I was more alluding to that Lexus could have thought the place wasn't well known enough for them to bring it out here.
I'll definitely agree its a huge fail if they refuse to bring the Lexus LS Kiriko package to SF, San Mateo or Palo Alto, where housing prices median at around 2 million dollar for less than 2,000 sq ft living space and 3,000 sq-ft lot size.

i agree with that.

at less than half the price of an LS, it's just not possible to look crazy good.

i agree.
See red above.
Old 06-04-18, 02:01 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
+1, I wouldn't mind having NuLuxe or something similar across the board for entry-level models like the ES. Heck I would even take it in upper-tier models too. I like the idea of it being both more sustainable AND easier to care for. Besides when I first experienced it, I was surprised at how good it felt to the touch.
I think the ES will come with NuLuxe as standard? And then have leather seats as optional extra? I could be wrong though.

But yeah. I agree. NuLuxe in the Lexus is so well done that I initially thought it was leather seats. You'll fool 99% of people with the NuLuxe seats.
Old 06-04-18, 02:06 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 805 Likes on 562 Posts

On a per capita basis, CT ranks 3rd in the country with 7.75% of their citizens being millionaires

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/stat...er-capita.html
Old 06-04-18, 02:32 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
On a per capita basis, CT ranks 3rd in the country with 7.75% of their citizens being millionaires

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/stat...er-capita.html
True. On per capita basis - CT ranks 3rd in the country for millionaires.

Based on income within metro areas - Greenwich's Metro area (Bridgeport - Stanform - Norwalk) they are 4th.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rica/34991163/

Then based on county and richest places to live in the world is different. Its all relative to how you rank them and what study you use.

My point was just saying maybe Lexus just didn't recognize Greenwich as a good place for them to market their Kiriko Glass Lexus LS, who knows. Just playing devil's advocate.
Old 06-04-18, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I agree for the ES but not the LS. I can clearly tell what’s leather and what isn’t in mine
Old 06-04-18, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

But but but according to many people dead animal skin is "real luxury".
People like the smell of leather, but I agree it is not necessarily the most luxurious material to actually sit on. And I totally agree that the NuLuxe is just as good, if not better, without the waste of animal life.

But even NuLuxe is not the epitome of luxury......at least not compared to what we saw from Detroit's luxury cars in the 1970s. Now this, IMO, was a real treat to sit on....the mid-70s Cadillac Fleetwood de-Elegance.

Old 06-04-18, 03:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

^^ It's like a padded room...
Old 06-04-18, 03:37 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
People like the smell of leather, but I agree it is not necessarily the most luxurious material to actually sit on. And I totally agree that the NuLuxe is just as good, if not better, without the waste of animal life.

But even NuLuxe is not the epitome of luxury......at least not compared to what we saw from Detroit's luxury cars in the 1970s. Now this, IMO, was a real treat to sit on....the mid-70s Cadillac Fleetwood de-Elegance.

Agreed. There are people who love the smell of leather. But don't the smell of leather fades over time? I mean - by the time I sold my 2008 Lexus IS - I couldn't smell my leather anymore. Seems like a steep price to pay for just a smell, in my opinion.

Definitely - I wouldn't say NuLuxe is a good example of luxury. But I do find NuLuxe a pretty good luxurious alternative.

The glory days of the 70s American car.
Old 06-04-18, 05:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I'm more than old enough to remember the velour they were putting in cars back in the day. And it was gross! It was a bear to keep clean and when it eventually got dirty from wear & tear or soiled it was even worse! It looked like something you'd see in a brothel (not that I'd know).
Old 06-04-18, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm more than old enough to remember the velour they were putting in cars back in the day. And it was gross! It was a bear to keep clean and when it eventually got dirty from wear & tear or soiled it was even worse! It looked like something you'd see in a brothel (not that I'd know).
Oh, yeah, dust and small dirt particles would get in the grooves and pleats in the seats.....that also happens with the vinyl/leather shifter-boots on the floor-shifters of today's cars. But those seats were just delightful to sink down into and relax at the end of a hard day at work. You sat deep down IN those seats....not ON them, like on so many of today's sport-oriented seats. So they didn't hold you in like a glove going around corners....so what? No one in their right mind would try to throw a 5500-lb behemoth with Cream-of-Wheat suspension around corners to start with.

Anyhow, I know we've gone somewhat off-topic...the new LS500. I can't specially comment on the seats in the new LS until I try them. One of these days. I'll get around to it....my arthritic knee has been a little weak lately, and I've had things to do at home.
Old 06-04-18, 07:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Kiriko is a unique Japanese tradition of hand-cutting delicate patterns onto glass that produces stunning and different reflections at different angles. I believe this is the sole reason why they will never let the general public really test-drive or sit in one without actually buying it. You think Lexus is just going to let a bunch of people go into a Lexus LS with hand-cut glass? They probably have these at limited production - meaning - they probably don't have enough of them to send around the world to car events either way.

Second - Greenwich, CT is an affluent area. However - Greenwich has a population of under 70,000 people. It doesn't scream market-potential because its not a "known" city. To be honest - I have never even heard of Greenwich till today.
Note: Around the San Francisco Bay Area - I have seen 3 Lexus LS with Kiriko packages on dealer lots already.

The Lexus ES is made to sell like crazy. Its made for mass production and for Toyota to make money. It doesn't mean its made to be a good car. That's debatable.

No. The Lexus ES design is not better than the LS nor the quality. My biggest issue with the ES interior design is that huge cheap plastic looking material flowing from the passenger side to the center dash. That makes it look cheap.
This was at the Concours d’Elegance where multi-million dollar cars are on display.
The show is not free.

You had the following brands all displaying their cars: BMW, Tesla, Lexus, Acura, Cadillac, Jag/RR, Lincoln.
Most ppl that attend this show are car enthusiasts that have $$$ from all over the Northeast including NYC and Westchester which is 5min away. Oh BTW Bonhams had auction on site with most cars exceeding $100k. Auction included the bulk of Carroll Shelby’s personal collection.

Since you never heard of these places - Greenwich and Westchester are really expensive suburbs of NYC. Many CEOs, Hedge Fund owners, Private Equity folks reside here.
Many work in NYC and commute by MetroNorth train which takes about 1 hour to midtown.

Here are some pics:

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-04-18 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion