Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18, 07:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Theoretically, a 5LS sales recovery is possible , however from a very low base of only 908 units in its third month, I doubt 5LS will all of a sudden make it to 2,000+ units/month like the current S Class for a total of nearly 25,000 units in the S Class' first full year.
Historically, sales of LS and S Classes have never been at a low of say 900, and then all of a sudden recovered to 2,000+ units/month.
pete, thanks but you've repeated this opinion and the sales figures (including irrelevant gs and others) over and over... we've got it. no need to post it again, certainly not in this thread.
Old 06-07-18, 08:54 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 469 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Having had both the AWD and RWD LS460 there is a notable difference in feel of power delivery between the two. The RWD will have the power rush you’re looking for.

Again, commenting on the feel of driving a car and the feel of an engine you’ve never driven. If we were talking about an IS200t, a GS350 or a Camry that might have value, but we aren’t and it doesn’t.
Your assumption that I have never driven a 460 couldn't be more wrong.
Old 06-08-18, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Your assumption that I have never driven a 460 couldn't be more wrong.
You told me yourself that you have never driven an LS460. Has that changed? The GS460 is not an LS460 BTW.
Old 06-08-18, 04:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

You told me yourself that you have never driven an LS460. Has that changed? The GS460 is not an LS460 BTW.
The original posters Strook639 & situman were talking about "the immediate rush of torque".

Steve, please stay on topic.
It's about a car, and not about a person.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
and honestly it's still my main complaint. this doesn't have that initial immediate burst of torque that the V8 has, and it just feels like it has to rev higher and hold gears longer to get to a satisfying level of acceleration.
Originally Posted by situman
It's strange but when I drive my family's LS460 AWD, a 2017 model, I dont sense the "immediate rush of torque" that you spoke of. Perhaps the speed is deceptive, but the response is more tepid than I expected, though it is a little better in Sport Mode. It does have gradual build up of power and speed, but certainly nothing super immediate.
The Lexus 4.6L V8 doesn't have that immediate bottom end torque, because the bore/stroke ratios, valve numbers/size/timing/lift, and the intake/exhaust manifolds lengths have been "tuned" to produce maximum top end torque to achieve maximum top end power - rather than immediate bottom end torque.

Engine tuning is a compromise.
The more we have of one feature, the less we have of the other.
Hence, the more top end torque, the less the bottom end torque.

If the Lexus 4.6L V8 was designed with a combination of narrower bore & longer stroke, fewer valves, smaller valve diameters, smaller valve lift [for higher swirl velocity], less advanced valve opening timing, and narrower but longer inlet tract manifolds - then the Lexus 4.6L V8 would have much more immediate bottom end torque - but it would also have less top end maximum torque, and hence less top end maximum power.

Nissan variable compression engines, variable valve timing, variable valve lift, and dual tract inlet manifolds per cylinder [with both narrow long & wide short inlet tracts] - try to overcome the compromise, but still - the compromise is there.
Internal combustion engines ICE's are both complex and inefficient.

EV is the future, because electric motors have a flat torque curve - it's just the way electricity & magnets work.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-08-18 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 05:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Pete, you either need to answer the question about having driven one or SW needs to stop asking about it, or both.

Let’s go with both and end the tiring, repetitive back and forth on this topic please.

The assumption everyone will make until you (Pete) are clear about it is that you have never driven a LS460 or LS500.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-08-18 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 05:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I have driven an LS460.

PS.
About 6 to 8 weeks ago, I was offered to look at & test drive the LS500, but busy lately, so I haven't got around to it yet.

Nevermind, because the 7ES hasn't even been released, yet 7ES gets very positive posts.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-08-18 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-09-18, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I have driven an LS460.
Then that was very recently based on every other conversation we've had on the subject. Did you have any thoughts after finally driving an LS from some generation?
Old 06-09-18, 08:48 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Loves the LS, but hates the 500h drivetrain.
Old 06-09-18, 10:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

looks great in that photo, but yeah, if you step on it with the hybrid it sounds like a honda lawnmower.
Old 06-09-18, 11:56 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks great in that photo, but yeah, if you step on it with the hybrid it sounds like a honda lawnmower.
Hahah. Honda lawnmower. +1. I legit laughed. Its true though - hybrid don't sound good.
Old 06-10-18, 04:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Then that was very recently based on every other conversation we've had on the subject. Did you have any thoughts after finally driving an LS from some generation?
sw17ls, exit this thread. I asked you to drop it.

I have driven an LS460.

PS.
About 6 to 8 weeks ago, I was offered to look at & test drive the LS500, but busy lately, so I haven't got around to it yet.

Nevermind, because the 7ES hasn't even been released, yet 7ES gets very positive posts.
Peteharvey, please also exit. No need to edit and add that final argumentative comment.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-10-18 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-10-18, 07:36 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

The review by AutoTopNL was nice. The LS is a really unique car in the segment - if it were my money, I doubt I would get the hybrid though. CVT "shifts" are not my fave.
Old 06-10-18, 02:41 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

The Lexus 4.6L V8 doesn't have that immediate bottom end torque, because the bore/stroke ratios, valve numbers/size/timing/lift, and the intake/exhaust manifolds lengths have been "tuned" to produce maximum top end torque to achieve maximum top end power - rather than immediate bottom end torque.

Engine tuning is a compromise.
The more we have of one feature, the less we have of the other.
Hence, the more top end torque, the less the bottom end torque.

If the Lexus 4.6L V8 was designed with a combination of narrower bore & longer stroke, fewer valves, smaller valve diameters, smaller valve lift [for higher swirl velocity], less advanced valve opening timing, and narrower but longer inlet tract manifolds - then the Lexus 4.6L V8 would have much more immediate bottom end torque - but it would also have less top end maximum torque, and hence less top end maximum power.
not denying any of this, actually never mind what exactly do you mean by fewer valves? the LS in 1989 had 32 valves and so does the 2017, and (someone tell me if i'm wrong) doesn't longer stroke equal more low end torque? i know one main difference between the 1UZ and 2UZ is a longer stroke in the 2UZ since it's for trucks and large SUVs so they wanted more low end torque. and as far as i remember longer intake tracts also make more low end torque:

http://www.mr2.com/files/mr2/techinf...e98LS1uz-1.pdf

http://www.mr2.com/files/mr2/techinf...e98LS1uz-2.pdf

all i really meant by any of this is that with the older V8 cars, when you're just slowly going around at like parking lot speeds, if you sharply step on the gas it'll change its momentum very quickly and briefly jerk your head back. the new engine doesn't have that same response. it doesn't do any head jerking, power is delivered very gradually with no abruptness whatsoever. the V8 delivers more immediate torque from idle but then the turbo V6 will of course eventually surpass it once the turbos get going. the older cars feel like the engine is more directly connected to your foot is i guess my point.

for anyone looking for a sustained "rush" of low end torque, i'd recommend a tesla or a vehicle that uses the mercedes supercharged M113 series engine. i can't afford a tesla lol... so i chose the latter. well idk if i'll get a response now since i see pete's been asked to leave...
Old 06-11-18, 08:20 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
not denying any of this, actually never mind what exactly do you mean by fewer valves? the LS in 1989 had 32 valves and so does the 2017, and (someone tell me if i'm wrong) doesn't longer stroke equal more low end torque? i know one main difference between the 1UZ and 2UZ is a longer stroke in the 2UZ since it's for trucks and large SUVs so they wanted more low end torque. and as far as i remember longer intake tracts also make more low end torque:

http://www.mr2.com/files/mr2/techinf...e98LS1uz-1.pdf

http://www.mr2.com/files/mr2/techinf...e98LS1uz-2.pdf

all i really meant by any of this is that with the older V8 cars, when you're just slowly going around at like parking lot speeds, if you sharply step on the gas it'll change its momentum very quickly and briefly jerk your head back. the new engine doesn't have that same response. it doesn't do any head jerking, power is delivered very gradually with no abruptness whatsoever. the V8 delivers more immediate torque from idle but then the turbo V6 will of course eventually surpass it once the turbos get going. the older cars feel like the engine is more directly connected to your foot is i guess my point.

for anyone looking for a sustained "rush" of low end torque, i'd recommend a tesla or a vehicle that uses the mercedes supercharged M113 series engine. i can't afford a tesla lol... so i chose the latter. well idk if i'll get a response now since i see pete's been asked to leave...
im sorry, but I had to weigh in on this topic. "Sustained rush of low end torque" sounds extremely oxymoronic. So you feel a push for 1 second, and then it's gone?

And then "the turbo v6...will surpass it once the turbos get going"? Most modern day luxury turbos are extremely efficient and build boost almost immediately from very low (1500-2500) RPMs. The premise that it will lag significantly isn't as applicable today as it once was.

I have 2 cars simultaneously that had very similar specs: FX50s w/ 400hp 5.0L V8, 7 speed auto, 4200lbs (AWD) and a Q50RS w/ 400hp 3.0L V6TT, 7 speed auto, 4000lbs (AWD). The V6TT feels a lot smoother, more linear in response and propels you quickly all the way to redline from 2k rpms. The V8 does feel as responsive down low, but lacks mid-range punch comparitively where most cruising, traffic occurs. The biggest deciding factor between the two in low end feel was what gear the transmission was in, otherwise they're entirely comparable.
Old 06-12-18, 11:22 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
im sorry, but I had to weigh in on this topic. "Sustained rush of low end torque" sounds extremely oxymoronic. So you feel a push for 1 second, and then it's gone?

And then "the turbo v6...will surpass it once the turbos get going"? Most modern day luxury turbos are extremely efficient and build boost almost immediately from very low (1500-2500) RPMs. The premise that it will lag significantly isn't as applicable today as it once was.

I have 2 cars simultaneously that had very similar specs: FX50s w/ 400hp 5.0L V8, 7 speed auto, 4200lbs (AWD) and a Q50RS w/ 400hp 3.0L V6TT, 7 speed auto, 4000lbs (AWD). The V6TT feels a lot smoother, more linear in response and propels you quickly all the way to redline from 2k rpms. The V8 does feel as responsive down low, but lacks mid-range punch comparitively where most cruising, traffic occurs. The biggest deciding factor between the two in low end feel was what gear the transmission was in, otherwise they're entirely comparable.
well first of all i never originally used the word "rush" so i don't really care to focus too much on that... but to me it's a combination of immediate response from idle rpms and the noise made by the V8 that i like, and the way they build power. these modern cars that attempt to replicate a larger engine by using a turbocharged smaller engine i find result in a relatively boring flat torque curve. they're extremely smooth but to me less exciting and worse sounding.

i'm happy you brought up the nissan engines, since i very recently drove my friends's Q50 AWD with the 300hp version of the V6TT. engine builds power quite quickly and just kind of maintains that as it revs up. the old 3.7 V6 had this lovely high rpm pull and just seemed happy to keep revving, and ultimately even makes more power. i'm not against turbos by any means, i just like when a turbo is used to take something already not slow and make it really fast, rather than starting with something slow and using a turbo to make it adequate.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion