Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 03:42 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
BMW sold 742 7 Series in June, up 17% over last June (634 sales). They are at 4,120 for the year, or down 3.2% for the year.
Lexus sold 789 LS500s in June, up 163% over last June (300 sales). They are at 4,369 for the year, or up 135.5% over last year.
With those numbers, it seems like Lexus is doing pretty good considering. The BMW has numerous different configurations for the 7. Lexus has two of them in terms of engine choice. You get the TT V6 or a hybrid. I do think they should add a V8 option, even if it is an LS-F, I think people would pay an extra 40-50K for a 600hp Lexus LS with a V8.
Old 07-03-18, 08:51 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
I can understand your argument for the aural sounds of a throaty V8, however we're talking about an LS here where there is a premium on being quiet and serene. And as far as boring flat torque curves, that sounds perfect for an LS too don't you think?

As far as the VR engine vs the older VQ, in RS400 time, it can rev all the way to redline easily and blow away the older models, both in perfirmance and smoothness. I would know, as I have a Q50 RS400 as I said.
well, i in fact do not think. the LS isn't meant to be a buick lesabre park avenue or whatever, toyota really wanted this to be a high performing vehicle that would steer buyers away from the main german contenders in the market. just look at this page from the 1999 LS brochure:

nothing about this to me suggests they wanted to make just another cushy barge to get aunt sylvia to bingo night. and i feel giving the car a V8 like they did makes you feel like there's just something a little more special about it. the instant you tap the gas it's obvious this isn't just some other car, and the way it builds power in a smooth continual manner just reinforces that. and when i say V8 noise, i don't mean some crazy loud open header corvette or anything, but there's this deeper more heavy duty sound that i think completes the "not just some other car" equation. it's all down to opinions of course... like i said the V6TT is the better engine on paper but it just doesn't feel as fulfilling to me.
Old 07-04-18, 07:17 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice to have the range... the 'savings' aren't really irrelevant to most ls buyers.

the problem is it sounds like a honda generator when you put your foot down.
Multi stage Hybrid was supposed to fix that?
Old 07-04-18, 10:15 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by webra

Multi stage Hybrid was supposed to fix that?
MSH doesn't fix 'sound'. It makes the hybrid more engaging to drive especially when using manual modes.
Old 07-04-18, 09:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
What leads you to this conclusion? The numbers, in isolation, with no context and no further explanation, tell us absolutely nothing.
The numbers speak for themselves.
What more is needed to be said?

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sort of right that context needs to be provided. But the numbers are looking like this new LS is a flop
At the moment, it is only "looking like"; we won't really know till early next year.
Old 07-05-18, 07:24 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
5LS sales USA:
January 116
February 548
March 1008
April 999
May 908
June 789.

Perhaps more advertising and discounting needed...
What leads you to this conclusion? The numbers, in isolation, with no context and no further explanation, tell us absolutely nothing.

Sort of right that context needs to be provided. But the numbers are looking like this new LS is a flop
Originally Posted by TF109B
Meanwhile S-class sold 1156 units which is down too. Audi 8 series sold a whopping 51. Can't find anything on the BMW 7 or the Jaguar XJ. It's safe to say this segment is not lighting up the charts, so what do people really expect? Gas prices are up too, btw.
Originally Posted by JDR76
BMW sold 742 7 Series in June, up 17% over last June (634 sales). They are at 4,120 for the year, or down 3.2% for the year.
Lexus sold 789 LS500s in June, up 163% over last June (300 sales). They are at 4,369 for the year, or up 135.5% over last year.
Originally Posted by TF109B
With those numbers, it seems like Lexus is doing pretty good considering. The BMW has numerous different configurations for the 7. Lexus has two of them in terms of engine choice. You get the TT V6 or a hybrid. I do think they should add a V8 option, even if it is an LS-F, I think people would pay an extra 40-50K for a 600hp Lexus LS with a V8.
Originally Posted by peteharvey
The numbers speak for themselves.
What more is needed to be said?

At the moment, it is only "looking like"; we won't really know till early next year.
The numbers speak for themselves? Okay... The numbers tell me that sales climbed steadily in the first 3 months of the year, stabilized and may be starting to drop, but further figures are required to determine if the June sales are just a one-time dip or are the start of a downward trend. The numbers also tell me that total sales in the first 6 months of 2018 total 4368, which is more than BMW 7s sold.

I cannot say anything more without some context, including comparison with Lexus' projected sales figures for the new LS or comparison with other luxury brands' flagship vehicle sales figures, which TF109B and JDR76 gave. In comparison with the big 3 German brands (Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi, the 3 brands that everybody here seems to compare Lexus against), the Lexus LS seems to be doing quite well.

I know that you are being passive-aggressive and want to back up your opinion that the LS is a flop out of the gate, but are afraid to say so for fear of being flamed.

Without context, I cannot agree with you; the numbers, by themselves, tell me nothing.
Old 07-05-18, 07:27 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

The LS500 numbers seem to start out well, then slightly dipping.

Could this coincide with the market news and pictures of the '19 ES350 which borrows styling cues of the LS500?
Or is the ultra luxury sedan segment too fickle for serious tea leave reading? One look at a parking lot of cars shows more than half are either trucks or SUV's (cue the theme of more utility/usefulness or space for a given wheel base).

Anything over $60k is all about what the buyer wants in a car and whether the market has this car or not. It will never turn into a sales driven popularity contest.

Old 07-05-18, 08:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
The LS500 numbers seem to start out well, then slightly dipping.

Could this coincide with the market news and pictures of the '19 ES350 which borrows styling cues of the LS500?
Or is the ultra luxury sedan segment too fickle for serious tea leave reading? One look at a parking lot of cars shows more than half are either trucks or SUV's (cue the theme of more utility/usefulness or space for a given wheel base).

Anything over $60k is all about what the buyer wants in a car and whether the market has this car or not. It will never turn into a sales driven popularity contest.
I was behind an ES today, and I wondered to myself, why does someone buy it? I have this sneaking suspicion that the drivers "may" be able to afford more, but they feel this satisfies their needs. It's almost always an older person driving an ES, just like Corvette, and fancier cars. Meaning I think they want a Lexus, and likely can afford much more, but feel this offers all that they need.

And I won't lie--without looking closely, I had thought the next ES at Citi Field was another LS500. I didn't look closely at the car.
Old 07-05-18, 08:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

The numbers speak for themselves? Okay... The numbers tell me that sales climbed steadily in the first 3 months of the year, stabilized and may be starting to drop, but further figures are required to determine if the June sales are just a one-time dip or are the start of a downward trend. The numbers also tell me that total sales in the first 6 months of 2018 total 4368, which is more than BMW 7s sold.

I cannot say anything more without some context, including comparison with Lexus' projected sales figures for the new LS or comparison with other luxury brands' flagship vehicle sales figures, which TF109B and JDR76 gave. In comparison with the big 3 German brands (Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Audi, the 3 brands that everybody here seems to compare Lexus against), the Lexus LS seems to be doing quite well.

I know that you are being passive-aggressive and want to back up your opinion that the LS is a flop out of the gate, but are afraid to say so for fear of being flamed.

Without context, I cannot agree with you; the numbers, by themselves, tell me nothing.
So what other context do you need? Lexus said 12K per year. Is that on target? I think close. But IMO, it seems that this LS is a flop in the USA similar to the Continental and CT6. Just the feeling I get when I see 5 new LS models unsold at the Lexus retail location.
Old 07-05-18, 09:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I was behind an ES today, and I wondered to myself, why does someone buy it? I have this sneaking suspicion that the drivers "may" be able to afford more, but they feel this satisfies their needs. It's almost always an older person driving an ES, just like Corvette, and fancier cars. Meaning I think they want a Lexus, and likely can afford much more, but feel this offers all that they need.

And I won't lie--without looking closely, I had thought the next ES at Citi Field was another LS500. I didn't look closely at the car.
yup, the ES is what i call 'sensible luxury', nothing TOO fancy or showy, but 'nice enough', completely reliable, very comfortable and quiet. that's why it's so successful. but now they've gone and made it more styling and even 'sporty' looking... probably to get the average buyer age down
Old 07-05-18, 09:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

So what other context do you need? Lexus said 12K per year. Is that on target? I think close. But IMO, it seems that this LS is a flop in the USA similar to the Continental and CT6. Just the feeling I get when I see 5 new LS models unsold at the Lexus retail location.
Makes me wonder what discounts would be available....the RX-L is a flop, so 5k off for walking in. The LS is considerably more expensive, if they offer 12k off today, it would kill the depreciation and cheapen the marque.....the alternative is to sit on the cars....
Old 07-05-18, 10:01 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Makes me wonder what discounts would be available....the RX-L is a flop, so 5k off for walking in. The LS is considerably more expensive, if they offer 12k off today, it would kill the depreciation and cheapen the marque.....the alternative is to sit on the cars....
You maybe right - a certain amount of pre-emptive knowledge is required.

If you are knowledgeable about the Lexus LS line of luxury cars, then you'd know that historically over the past 29 years, the past four generations of Lexus LS's have outsold the pants off the Mercedes S Class on debut.
That's what made the past 4 generations of Lexus LS's so great.
As a result of the greatness of the previous four generations of Lexus LS's - the BMW 7 Series, Audi A8, and the Infiniti Q45 [which was later axed] - became casualties.

Mr Sulu, it is cool to have different opinions, but I would avoid the bigotry in your posts.
Old 07-05-18, 03:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

It would be interesting to know, but I don't think Lexus is going to worry. They are making a ton of money on new LS, they have raised the prices on the higher end and found ways to cut costs yet it still looks premium and luxury.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-05-18 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 03:06 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very unlikely they would offer any significant discount on the LS.

The RX-L being a flop is no surprise, it was a very half assed effort. They added a third row without increasing wheelbase, which made the third row useless and the car even more ungainly looking.
Old 07-05-18, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The RX-L being a flop is no surprise, it was a very half assed effort. They added a third row without increasing wheelbase, which made the third row useless and the car even more ungainly looking.
Finally something we agree on completely.

i think the ls is doing fine in the fading large luxury sedan market. I personally think it's over styled and thus has less broad appeal, and i can't imagine anyone wanting the buzzy hybrid (that's like a stretched luxo prius ). The 23k luxury package is so over the top and flashy (and obviously expensive) i highly doubt there's many takers for that either.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion