Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why does the Audi A4 gets to have progressive lights but the Lexus RX doesn't?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 11:48 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why does the Audi A4 gets to have progressive lights but the Lexus RX doesn't?

Example of Audi A4:
https://youtu.be/GxEGWg34ruE

Example of Lexus RX:
http://jalopnik.com/we-can-t-get-these-cool-turn-signals-because-of-the-gov-1729310906

Why???
Old 08-31-17, 01:06 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Depends on which part of the world you're in. I've seen the new RX with progressive turn signals in Southeast Asia and China, they look pretty but they're very distracting. The same goes for new Audi and Ford Mondeo turn signals.
Old 08-31-17, 06:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Is "gets to have" just an expression......I had a loaner car with adaptive LED and it was ok the greatest thing since sliced bread. Prior, I thought rain sensing wipers were. But on this loaner car, they were optional beyond HID adaptive xenon, so maybe with the RX it's cost. Also the RX is imho more a bread and butter vehicle, it's not high end so maybe the cost can't be rolled in to the sticker...
Old 08-31-17, 08:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Not sure what the issue is. The lights are on the rear of the car. It's not like you can see them anyway while you are driving.
Old 08-31-17, 08:58 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Its the size of the first blink that counts according to some folks whne this topic was disucssed compared to the new mustang. I guess Lexus could still do it if it wanted to but for now ehh
Old 08-31-17, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I wondered the same thing.

Originally Posted by chromedome
Depends on which part of the world you're in. I've seen the new RX with progressive turn signals in Southeast Asia and China, they look pretty but they're very distracting. The same goes for new Audi and Ford Mondeo turn signals.
In the US Audis can have progressive signals clearly, but Lexus said they weren't allowed to bring the progressive signals on the RX here because of DOT regs.

My guess is Lexus lied about that and its cost cutting.
Old 08-31-17, 09:13 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Or maybe you can only have progressive turn signals on the front? Then again, it could also be cost cutting because I've seen new RXs in China with and without KITT signals. It could be a trim level option, just like on Mondeos/Fusions.
Old 08-31-17, 09:47 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In the U.S., Audi also conforms to regulations, and they have to add the blinking brake light portion (below the dynamic part). In Europe/Asia, Audi uses just the swiping dynamic light, which is what the RX has as well. So Lexus is not exactly cost cutting, they just would rather not do the workaround.
Old 08-31-17, 10:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Front and rear lighting play an important part of Audi's marketing on most of their models. With LED technology, they can use this flexibility to appeal to potential buyers so they offer a little extra with their lighting..
Old 08-31-17, 10:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Front and rear lighting play an important part of Audi's marketing on most of their models. With LED technology, they can use this flexibility to appeal to potential buyers so they offer a little extra with their lighting..
They were so far ahead with it even attributing them to a smaller carbon footprint in addition to safety, long before it was fashionable. imho the only car co. that was even close was Cadillac. Even my 2007 BMW has adaptive brake lights, that's 11 yrs. ago, 12 if you want to consider it was introduced on the '06's.
Old 08-31-17, 10:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
In the U.S., Audi also conforms to regulations, and they have to add the blinking brake light portion (below the dynamic part). In Europe/Asia, Audi uses just the swiping dynamic light, which is what the RX has as well. So Lexus is not exactly cost cutting, they just would rather not do the workaround.
Because the workaround would be costly

Seeing that we're even having this discussion shows the error in Lexus' judgement here.

Originally Posted by chromedome
Or maybe you can only have progressive turn signals on the front? Then again, it could also be cost cutting because I've seen new RXs in China with and without KITT signals. It could be a trim level option, just like on Mondeos/Fusions.
Audi has them on the back.
Old 08-31-17, 01:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

To find out, I decided to peruse the United States Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for lamps and associated equipment. (PDF here) Unfortunately, this document must conform to the Federal Standards for Document Longness, which means it is 731 pages in length.

Fortunately, thanks to the miracle of modern science, there is a “find” function, and I was able to look up the exact regulations on turn signals. And here’s what I learned: all turn signals must be at least 2,200 square millimeters in size. Do you believe that? 2,200 square millimeters! TWENTY-TWO HUNDRED! TWO THOUSAND, TWO HUNDRED! This is as big as a… well, actually, I wasn’t sure what it was as big as, so I got out a ruler and I measured. It turns out it isn’t very big.

So how does the RX’s turn signal not qualify? I mean, the damn thing lights up, and lights up more, and lights up more, and then at the end it lights up most, like a turn signal doing its very best impression of a firework.

Well, according to the Lexus people, the problem is this: the 2,200 square millimeter measurement doesn’t apply to the turn signal as a whole, but rather every single little bulb that lights up in a row.

So while the Mustang’s signals get a pass because each segment of that turn signal is larger than 2,200 square millimeters, most of the RX’s segments are smaller. The result is that RX customers in foreign markets get the cool, graceful, fluidic turn signal, while we Americans are stuck with regular old crap.
DOT regulations as someone mentioned above is a major hurdle for some automakers. This article when the 2016 RX debuted asked why the RX didn't have the sequential tail lamps but the Mustang does. I paraphrased the above but here is the full link:
http://jalopnik.com/we-can-t-get-the...gov-1729310906