Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Picks in Infotainment Systems

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 07:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I would still take the imperfect remote touch over a touchscreen.
each to their own but i completely disagree.
Old 09-04-17, 11:36 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 812 Likes on 566 Posts

Remote touch is fine. Software behind it blows
Old 09-04-17, 01:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
the software of the land cruiser touch and the LX are the same are they not?
Old 09-04-17, 02:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Mouse controller and hand/arm rest take up way too much space.
Old 09-04-17, 02:28 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Of all the ones I've played around with, I've found Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler's U-connect touch screen to be the easiest to use. U-connect also doesn't lag or act glitchy in any way. Only nitpick, maybe a minor one is that the graphics aren't quite as good looking as some other systems out there like Tesla's.

BMW, Benz, and Audi's that use the "****" have a definite learning curve to them. Took me a couple of days to get really comfortable with the "****" system on a 2015(or maybe it was a 2016) Benz GL, but once I kind of figured it out, had the "muscle memory" down so to speak, it was pretty straightforward. The Lexus mouse, that's just a horrible idea, very finicky and hard to use for no reason IMO.

As far as the "look", the Tesla model S screen is great, and I really dig the new Audis that put a screen in where your gauges used to be. I like how that Audi system, you can configure it several different ways, big gauges, big map, big map and little gauges, its pretty sweet.
Old 09-04-17, 03:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Oh of course. However for a company that totally shunned touschreens in favor of controls since it "didnt want its drivers to lean forward to change settings" the addition of a touchscreen is a HUGE DEAL.
Maybe--except that, with the F-Generation of BMWs, and now with the G-Generations, the screen is not set back in the dash hood, so there's no longer a "reach" to the screen. My 328 doesn't have the touch screen--there are certain functions where it would be nice, but the iDrive controller is simple and easy to use, even without looking for certain functions.
Old 09-04-17, 04:24 PM
evident
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Out of all the interfaces i've used so far in my short time with rental vehicles- i found the Mazda 6 rotary **** interface to be very easy to use. The software was extremely snappy, no lag like there is on my IS.

The problem with lexus is two fold- the interface is wacky, and the software driving it is slow as heck. Inputting an address is infuriating and as far as I'm concerned its a broken feature.

Been living in Japan for a few months and I noticed that most JDM rental cars here have aftermarket double-din nav systems that are much easier to use. The Toyota Mark X (basically a stretched IS250) I drove had a very nice center stack, with a Pioneer/Denso ( I forget which) touchscreen nav interface that was a pleasure to use. I wish auto makers would stop messing around with dumb interfaces and just give us the ability to put an aftermarket double din without jumping thru hoops or disabling car's functionality.
Old 09-04-17, 04:32 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 488 Likes on 323 Posts

I would still take the imperfect remote touch over a touchscreen.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
each to their own but i completely disagree.
With respect to a PC desktop and laptop, I prefer the traditional mechanical keyboard & mouse - so that I can type hundreds of words/minute.

With a compact cell phone/smart phone, I prefer the capacitive touchscreen pioneered by iPhone, as the original mechanical five way navigation control of 1990's Palm Pilot is inefficient and well and truly passé.

With a car, presently I have both touch screens in 3GS and 5-way remote touch in 4GS, however I must say I prefer the touchscreens, and the touchscreens need not have a very high mount, because these days, head up displays HUD's is already provided.
Old 09-04-17, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The Lexus mouse, that's just a horrible idea, very finicky and hard to use for no reason IMO.

I have to agree......the Lexus mouse-control has never been my cup of tea either, though I did consider an ES350 recently for a purchase. It's OK on a glass-smooth road, but bumps and wavy surfaces can make it quite difficult to use and center.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-04-17 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 06:27 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 812 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No idea, all I know is that it's laggy and frustrating to use.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Mouse controller and hand/arm rest take up way too much space.
I find the arm rest comfortable so I don't mind
Old 09-05-17, 07:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I assume they are at least quite similar.

The software on my Highlander (Entune) and my GS350 (Enform) are essentially the same.
Old 09-05-17, 07:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to agree......the Lexus mouse-control has never been my cup of tea either, though I did consider an ES350 recently for a purchase. It's OK on a glass-smooth road, but bumps and wavy surfaces can make it quite difficult to use and center.
I actually find the remote touch easier on rough surfaces, because you can steady your hand on the wrist-wrest. On my Highlander, there isn't a good place to steady your hand as you are making inputs to the touch screen, so it's worse on a bumpy road.
Old 09-05-17, 08:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

I actually find the remote touch easier on rough surfaces, because you can steady your hand on the wrist-wrest. On my Highlander, there isn't a good place to steady your hand as you are making inputs to the touch screen, so it's worse on a bumpy road.
+1. Though, with the mouse, you have to set the feedback decently high so that bumps don't cause it to move around.