Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AutoGuide First Drive....2018 Buick Regal GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 07:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. I can't imagine the Regal GS doing all the well. The wagon version should do extremely well and it should have superior resale value a few years down the road compared to the sedans.
I wonder if sales of wagons in NA might improve if and when the CUV trend starts to cool off and consumers start looking for something different. I'm not holding my breath though. The new gen Audi A4 Allroad sales are +78%, but that's only about 200 per month (2,005 YTD) vs. Q3 12,800, Q5 34,600 and Q7 23,200.
Old 09-06-17, 07:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I wonder if sales of wagons in NA might improve if and when the CUV trend starts to cool off and consumers start looking for something different. I'm not holding my breath though. The new gen Audi A4 Allroad sales are +78%, but that's only about 200 per month (2,005 YTD) vs. Q3 12,800, Q5 34,600 and Q7 23,200.
Most of the CUV's though, offer the higher ground clearance that a lot of those customers are looking for....some wagons do (such as the All-Road, Outback, and XC70)...others don't. The Tour-X, even with AWD, seems to sit somewhat lower, and lacks that ground-clearance.

I'm not saying it won't sell (only time will determine that).....but my point is that I don't think we should over-hype it.
Old 09-06-17, 09:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, it will be somewhat of a niche product. But I disagree that it will appeal only to the AARP crowd. Most of them don't care about sport-sedans....comfort is paramount. And, as far as "buying German", don't forget that, apart from the drivetrain, everything else about the Regal IS German. It is, in fact, a rebadged Opel Insignia....a well-respected product in Germany. As far as the argument about sedans being a dying breed, that is true of all sedans, not just German-derived sport-sedans. The only reason that sedans like the Camry and Accord continue to sell is that they they were so enormously popular to start with that it will take them time to really get the numbers down.
The Regal isn't German. To the 99.9% of the buying public, it's American. German is BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, and Porsche.

There will always be a Camcord, 3 series, C class, A4 and IS. There will not always be a Regal.
Old 09-06-17, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Regal isn't German. To the 99.9% of the buying public, it's American. German is BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, and Porsche.

There will always be a Camcord, 3 series, C class, A4 and IS. There will not always be a Regal.
Lol. Learn the history. Regal dates back to 1973. I think it will be around for a long time coming.
Old 09-06-17, 11:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Regal isn't German.
Totally agree. Buick Regal is not German.
Old 09-06-17, 04:16 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Lol. Learn the history. Regal dates back to 1973. I think it will be around for a long time coming.
I did. What happened to the Regal in 2005? It'll happen again with poor sales.
Old 09-06-17, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Everything on the American-market Regal is, in fact, German (rebadged Opel), except for the paint, drivetrain, Buick emblems, and perhaps some of the extensive Buick Quiet-Tuning sound-insulation. You are probably correct that the vast majority of the buying-public was not (and is not) aware of that fact, but that is because they aren't auto enthusiasts like us, and don't spend time studying and following the auto industry.

Also, sometimes, you don't need to really study and follow the industry to see what is obvious. I remember when I first saw the Mazda Navajo SUV in the early 1990s....I could tell, from the looks of the body and feel of the doors, before I even climbed inside, that it was not a true Mazda product, but simply a rebadged two-door Explorer. The interior only verified what was obvious outside. It was the first of a series of Ford-rebadged Mazda products.
Old 09-06-17, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You're correct that the Regal was introduced in 1973, with the redesign of the GM mid-size sedans and coupes. Unfortunately, that was when Buick (and much of the rest of GM) was starting on its long downhill slide in build-quality and the cheapening-out of its vehicles (the GM full-size cars had already shown a noticeable decline from 1970 to the all-new 1971s). Those relatively poor-quality GM years (with the plastic-body Saturn S-series being a rare exception) were to last basically up to the 2008-2009 bankrupcy.....one reason why I did not buy another new Buick for 40 years after I left college, even though I dearly loved the ones I had in college.