Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 MB S Class refresh...now base TT V6...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 11:20 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I will say this about this current gen Benz S-class, they give you no shortage of options and configurations, ranging from expensive to Saudi royal family type of extravagant. I mean you have RWD, AWD, 4 cylinder, diesel 6 cylinder, diesel hybrid, turbo V6 petrol, twin turbo V8 in various states of tune, V12 options, a hybrid model, a plug in hybrid model. Then you can get it in 4 different wheelbases(standard, long, Maybach, Maybach Pullman limo). I mean they even make bullet-proof versions of this car.

I guess that rant is kind of directed at Lexus and the new LS with ONE engine option. People want choice and performance Toyota, and are willing to pay through the nose for it.
Old 09-07-17, 12:39 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I guess that rant is kind of directed at Lexus and the new LS with ONE engine option. People want choice and performance Toyota, and are willing to pay through the nose for it.
Lexus is (too) conservative, as usual.
Old 09-07-17, 05:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Unlike Lexus, MB doesn't punish you with large packages that can only be had with other large packages. You can pretty much do anything you want if you special order. The lux model doesn't get stuck with anything low grade. If you want comfort, you dont want anything larger than 18" anyways
If you special order though, in stock anything with any nice options has the sport grille.
Old 09-07-17, 06:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I will say this about this current gen Benz S-class, they give you no shortage of options and configurations, ranging from expensive to Saudi royal family type of extravagant. I mean you have RWD, AWD, 4 cylinder, diesel 6 cylinder, diesel hybrid, turbo V6 petrol, twin turbo V8 in various states of tune, V12 options, a hybrid model, a plug in hybrid model. Then you can get it in 4 different wheelbases(standard, long, Maybach, Maybach Pullman limo). I mean they even make bullet-proof versions of this car.

I think you have to be patient on Lexus. There will be more engine choices coming.
Old 09-07-17, 10:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Nothing is going to touch the S class these days. It has the history, prestige, and as the LS creeps up in price further and further the justification for saving so much on a almost as nice LS starts falling and falling. I agree about engine choices except a 4cyl, a 4cyl LS would be a really dumb move and it is bad enough the GS base engine is now a 4cyl, a hybrid is pretty pointless too, there is just no real demand for a hybrid in this market. A 12 cylinder makes more sense then a 4cyl or hybrid in this market. Unfortunately I have a feeling a V8 for the new LS is going to be a very expensive rare option and something more like a LS-F over a basic LS460 upgrade which is going to be a mistake, the LS needs a relatively affordable 8 cylinder as well as something with some real power to set itself apart.
Old 09-07-17, 10:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I agree 100%
Old 09-07-17, 10:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Nothing is going to touch the S class these days. It has the history, prestige, and as the LS creeps up in price further and further the justification for saving so much on a almost as nice LS starts falling and falling. I agree about engine choices except a 4cyl, a 4cyl LS would be a really dumb move and it is bad enough the GS base engine is now a 4cyl, a hybrid is pretty pointless too, there is just no real demand for a hybrid in this market. A 12 cylinder makes more sense then a 4cyl or hybrid in this market. Unfortunately I have a feeling a V8 for the new LS is going to be a very expensive rare option and something more like a LS-F over a basic LS460 upgrade which is going to be a mistake, the LS needs a relatively affordable 8 cylinder as well as something with some real power to set itself apart.

A 4 cylinder S-class makes sense in places where they tax the hell out of you on displacement(Singapore for example). My point is Benz builds an S-class for just about every damn market the world over, thus all the choices in engines, lengths, luxury options, etc. That guy in Singapore who is running a limo/chaueffer business and orders 10 new S-classes, the difference between him ordering the smallest displacement option and the next step up is like $10,000 or $20,000 US in taxes.

In the US, engine options for a car over 100k is go big or go home IMO. Big HP and more cylinders is what the market wants. If Lexus offers a 12 cylinder LS(or maybe a fire breathing twin turbo V8) with more HP at the price of a fully optioned S550(aka 120-130k) I will be impressed.
Old 02-07-18, 03:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Saw this review in Car and Driver of the S450.
The drivetrain propels the S450 to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds (add 0.1 second for the 147-pound-heavier all-wheel-drive 4Matic model, which is pictured here). While that might seem swift enough for a land yacht, it trails BMW’s six-cylinder 7-series, the 740i, by half a second and the latest V-8–powered S-class, the S560, by more than a second. A sub-14-second quarter-mile time can hardly be considered slow, but the S450 lacks the entirely effortless surge of power we expect in an S-class.

Mercedes does do a good job of isolating the V-6 from the S450’s cabin; it’s sublimely quiet at speed, emitting just 65 decibels at a 70-mph cruise—exactly as quiet as its posher Maybach S560 sibling. The key hints that you woulda, coulda, shoulda splurged for the V-8 are the slightly raspy mechanical tone that the V-6 emits on startup and a higher-pitched engine note that reveals itself only higher in the rev range, which you won’t often visit if you cater to the S-class’s desire to motor sedately.
Mercedes doesn’t skimp on the options set for the S450, offering nearly all the same creature comforts as does the S560—at a cost, of course. Our test cars were prime examples: Despite both carrying a base price of less than six figures (4Matic adds $3000), generous loads of extras took these S450s comfortably past the $100,000 barrier, with the rear-drive car coming in at $106,245 and the 4Matic car ringing up at $115,645. Key options on both S450s included a $5000 Premium 1 package (surround-view camera, ventilated front seats, park assist, massaging front seats, and a few other things), a $2600 Warmth and Comfort package (heated everything, including armrests), and a $2250 Driver Assistance package (adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assist, and several other active-safety features). Let’s just say that a fully optioned S450 approaches the pricing realm where AMGs and Maybachs reside.

Now that we’ve carefully considered all of the rational arguments in favor of the V-6 S-class, we’ll go ahead and throw all that out the window in saying that, given the option, we’d be hard pressed not to get the V-8. Unless you’re running a livery company, the increased performance and more special character of the S560 seems to us to be worth stretching another $10,000 or so. It’s an S-class, after all—why settle for less when you can have more?
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...50-test-review
Old 02-07-18, 03:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Started to look a bit dated. Nice to see the new LS500 make an appearance. Same with A8
Old 02-07-18, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Unless you’re running a livery company, the increased performance and more special character of the S560 seems to us to be worth stretching another $10,000 or so. It’s an S-class, after all—why settle for less when you can have more?
Hah well put
Old 02-07-18, 04:12 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Now that we’ve carefully considered all of the rational arguments in favor of the V-6 S-class, we’ll go ahead and throw all that out the window in saying that, given the option, we’d be hard pressed not to get the V-8. Unless you’re running a livery company, the increased performance and more special character of the S560 seems to us to be worth stretching another $10,000 or so. It’s an S-class, after all—why settle for less when you can have more?
Saying the word performance and LS in the same breath or sentence is borderline sacrilege around here: the LS and that word have no business together.

And, based on reports, they literally don’t belong together either.

Old 02-07-18, 04:24 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Saying the word performance and LS in the same breath or sentence is borderline sacrilege around here: the LS and that word have no business together.

And, based on reports, they literally don’t belong together either.
That's funny because the LS is not mentioned in that article JDR76 posted. You brought up the LS and strung it together with the word 'performance'. This is about the S-Class V6. Always looking for an opportunity to take a jab at Lexus. That Audi really has you drinking the kool-aid with 0-60 these days
Old 02-07-18, 04:38 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, the S class and LS are competitors no?

I was trying to draw parallels in that one can have the word used with it, but not the other.
Old 02-07-18, 04:43 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's going to be more interesting what Benz does in the future, not what's going on now with the base S450. That inline electric turbo six should be the interesting option for base model buyers - do S class buyers actually opt for a base model? Because MB doesn't really want you to buy that one. If you have the money, you can get a wild n crazy S class with the much more stunning performance attributes.

We know one thing though, the magazines are going to have a field day with the current crop of flagships. There should be some nice roundups and head-to-head comparisons which should include the LS among them.

The S is still the looker of the entire field with sublime styling and nice clean elegance to it. That's why it's the S.
Old 02-07-18, 04:58 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Well, the S class and LS are competitors no?

I was trying to draw parallels in that one can have the word used with it, but not the other.
Sure.

Why, just because you say what constitutes performance? So you're saying the S450 with AMG Line package has better performance than an LS500 F-Sport?

Quick Reply: 2018 MB S Class refresh...now base TT V6...