Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 MB S Class refresh...now base TT V6...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 07:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

They have great lease rates on the S450, and the vast majority of what dealers stock are now 450s. If you go on MBWorld for instance people that want 560s have trouble getting them because dealers seem to be stocking far more 450s.
Old 02-07-18, 07:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Is the I6 new for 2018 in that there was no V6 and just v8 last year?
Old 02-07-18, 07:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see a future test (aside from the youtube reviews). Best value for the money and best driving experience: MB S450, Audi A8, LS 500, BMW 740. Throw in the Genesis for fun. The refresh from MB is probably just to get people who want an S class but really don't like the dollars you have to spend to get the V8. I agree, though. Most people who can afford a lease rate or the dollars do not race from stoplight to stoplight or go track their S class because some car mag guy told them about the Nurburgring.
Old 02-07-18, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Which would I rather have? I’d rather have the 560, of course. If I were getting one? I’d likely get the 450. It’s about $10-15k cheaper than a comparable 560, but the lease rates are a HUGE difference. 450 is 250-300 less per month.
Old 02-07-18, 07:48 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The S class is already on its next generation. They'll keep the shape, which is really elegant and beautiful, but update drivetrains. The benchmark is the Bimmer 7 series for performance.

The first prototypes for Mercedes-Benz’s next-generation S-Class have been spotted.The car is expected in showrooms in 2020, as a 2021 model, and we can see that Mercedes' engineers are using the BMW 7-Series as a benchmark.From earlier test mules, we know the general size and proportions will match up with the current model but there will be a slightly wider track and it also looks like the hood will be lower and longer.

The current Mercedes-Benz S-Class, the W222, was introduced for 2014 and immediately rocketed to the top of the sales chart. The 6-figure sedan racked up more than 100,000 sales in its first year and that was before the arrival of additional body styles such as the 2-door cars and extra-long Maybach and Pullman.
It’s clear the new S-Class has some big shoes to fill. Luckily for it, it will adopt a new platform, in this case Mercedes’ MRA design for rear-wheel-drive cars. The current S-Class rides on an updated version of its predecessor’s architecture.It’s hard to gauge what Mercedes has in store for the new S-Class this early out. The current model just received its mid-cycle update so understandably Mercedes is shy to talk about the next one.

We already know a few things, however. Every powertrain will be electrified, either with mild-hybrid or plug-in hybrid technology, and most engines will either be a 3.0-liter inline-6 or 4.0-liter V-8. It’s not clear if there will be an electric version as Mercedes is expected to launch electric cars under the EQ sub-brand initially. In other words, don't be surprised if we see an EQS electric sedan show up.But getting back to the new S-Class, there will also be much more advanced self-driving systems, including perhaps a Level 3 system.

This is where the car can handle its own in certain situations, leaving the driver free to do other things. Should the driver need to take back control, the car will give warnings well in advance. Audi has already introduced such a system in its latest A8, though its availability will be limited due to a lack of regulations.

We’re also expecting Mercedes to offer the next S-Class in multiple body lengths, from a short wheelbase right up to the extra-long Pullman. However, there’s a good chance the current S-Class Coupe and Cabriolet will be phased out. A roomier next-generation SL-Class with 2+2 seating is expected to fill the void.
Source
Old 02-07-18, 09:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Lame duck car. The replacement/refresh is already surfacing online. Not wise of MBZ to cram them so close together. Also hurts resale.
Old 02-09-18, 08:16 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

They have to start thinking about the next generation. In fact, for most luxury makes, Im sure they do so also immediately after launching the current generation. The whole cycle probably takes 5 years from building the model and doing all the testing.
Old 02-09-18, 08:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't follow MB and admit I don't have the same feel as I would with BMW. But I'm ok with the older gen 222 and the W221. It's like this guy I met at the 991 launch. He said he's had 5 911's, 2 of which were brand new (the guy looked mid 40's at the time), and if you have the money, great. But in his opinion, the sweet spot is for a 5 year old car, meaning at the time 997. With the downsizing of the motors, it could be this argument becomes even stronger...I mean a 2007 S600 for 12k, why wouldn't we....
Old 02-09-18, 11:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't follow MB and admit I don't have the same feel as I would with BMW. But I'm ok with the older gen 222 and the W221. It's like this guy I met at the 991 launch. He said he's had 5 911's, 2 of which were brand new (the guy looked mid 40's at the time), and if you have the money, great. But in his opinion, the sweet spot is for a 5 year old car, meaning at the time 997. With the downsizing of the motors, it could be this argument becomes even stronger...I mean a 2007 S600 for 12k, why wouldn't we....
Because that 2007 S600 would be a reliability nightmare.
Old 02-09-18, 11:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
They have to start thinking about the next generation. In fact, for most luxury makes, Im sure they do so also immediately after launching the current generation. The whole cycle probably takes 5 years from building the model and doing all the testing.
I think I read somewhere that by the time a car gets released it's already 3-4 years old, and yes they have been working on the next generation while working on that current one.
Old 02-09-18, 01:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes, but the difference here is the new car has already leaked. That almost never happens when a facelift is just debuting. It's normal and okay to be working on the next car, but it needs to be kept off public roads. MBZ or S-Class enthusiasts will start getting ahead of themselves with future purchase ideas, which can and will hurt the current refresh.
Old 02-09-18, 09:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I think I read somewhere that by the time a car gets released it's already 3-4 years old, and yes they have been working on the next generation while working on that current one.
more than likely most of the car is already "done" waiting for more public road test.

way back in 2009 i already saw the w222 in person
Old 02-10-18, 05:34 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
The S class is already on its next generation. They'll keep the shape, which is really elegant and beautiful, but update drivetrains. The benchmark is the Bimmer 7 series for performance.

Source
Yes, spotted a little earlier than expected by a few months, but understandable if needed to be ready by 2020. Despite it being pointed out so many times by me and a few others, many people fail to realise that the W222 design was approved in the first half of 2009, which explained the first mules being spotted exactly 8 years ago yesterday and first (built to-design-spec) prototypes in December 2010. The W222 entered production 28-30 months after that, following a 6 month launch delay.

I had pointed out myself in early 2015, the facelift W222 design improvements had been frozen and that by the end of 2016, final concept approval would be reached. The next S-Class was frozen in mid-2017, on the heels of the W222 facelift.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Lame duck car. The replacement/refresh is already surfacing online. Not wise of MBZ to cram them so close together. Also hurts resale.
Based on what is that objectively accurate? A refresh it is not, in being a ground-up redesign on a new iteration of modular MRA, unlike some of the shared aspects of W221 and W222. You don't seem to realize MB always tests prototypes of the next generation model very early, in having the longest lead times on average. Testing of prototypes has nothing to do with resale being affected, when that facelift was shown 10 months ago and is not really "news" anymore, in being on sale for months.

Yes, the W222 successor entered development by the fall of 2014, targeted for autumn 2020 launch. The current generation W222 began development in October 2006. After a several month planning phase, design work began in 2007 and wrapped up in 2009 (intended for late 2012 SOP originally). Engineering sign-off was in September 2012. For this car it will be probably early 2020 engineering sign-off.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Do you mean the body design? It is somewhat true, in this segment especially. For smaller cars, not as much (depending on OEM). The new XF50 LS, had its design freeze completed in June 2014, somewhat in parallel to the LC coupe. Both cars were in final production concept bodies by the end of 2013. The new LS barely entered production in December 2017, LC 9 months earlier.

As for the "W223", yes that programme has been on stream since about Fall 2014. As soon as the MY 2018 modellpflege/refresh design work was finalized in early 2015, the baton was handed to the W223 programme to begin styling the next S-Class. After 2 years, a final choice was made in late 2016. By last summer, the design was frozen about 3 years ahead of first production units.

It is a typical pattern for MB, post-W220. Between October 1998 and April 1999, the W220 was launched in Europe and North America (as MY 2000). In late 1999, the W221 entered development, with the first design sketches being made in 2000 at their Tokyo studios. Current chief designer Gorden Wagener (then junior designer) won the design competition for it in late 2001. Design was frozen and then rather unusually quickly leaked very early, back in December 2002 by Auto Spies, during a consumer marketing clinic. Terrible situation for MB, to be leaked 2.5 years before press launch. Before that, the first W220-style slapped together mules were seen in April 2002. It wasn't until May 2003 the first prototypes of the W221 were seen in disguise, so MB was angry over that leak. It was later revealed on June 20, 2005, launched in October 2005, and March 2006 in the North America.

Following 2005-06 global launch of W221, the W222 generation entered development. After the typical planning phase ended, MB designers got to work on the W221 replacement in 2007. After the typical 2 year investment in design work at many luxury and premium OEMs, a final design was set in 2009. By early 2010, mules were being run publicly. By the end of 2010, the real McCoy was first spotted strutting around Northern Europe doing winter testing. In June 2013, the first production units came off the line, about 6 months later than intended. In late July 2013, the W222 had its first customer deliveries, with the Americas waiting until September 2013.

The complaints I am seeing here are extremely unfounded, when the W222 had been delayed a bit and now with W223, MB is managing to chop time off of the development process/lead times, unlike before. Instead of the 3.5 years for the W222 from styling freeze to launch, the W223 might just take 36-42 month

Do you know why Honda moved the Accord and Civic from 4 to 5 year cycles in the late 1990s, like Toyota? It was because of too much pressure on people resources in short amounts of time and it being harder to turn a profit due always investing in new product. The 5th generation Accord was forced to enter development in Q3 1989, before the first 1990 MY cars were even in Honda showrooms that autumn. By December 18, 1990, final design for the 1994 Accord was completed (a car barely just redesigned for MY 1990).

For the 6th generation 1998 model, launched in September 1997, it overlapped significantly with development of 1994 model. Honda already struggling with an 11th hour setback in early 1992 while developing the 5G 1994 MY car, also started development of 1998 MY car in January 1993, when the '94 model wasn't even launched until 8 months later in September 1993. Engineering sign-off for the 1998 Accord was reached in March 1997 (styling final in January 1995), just 6 months before launch in September 1997. The 7th generation model was deliberately pushed back to an October 2002 launch, from late 2001 to allow a later start of development, for a 4-year programme from 1998 to 2002.

I provided that example, to show that overlapping of development work on model generations is atypical (I do not include sub-models) and deliberately avoided for this reason. BMW reported in 1992, that they tended break-even on a model generation 5/8ths of the way in. Usually at that break-even point, they finalized design work of the successor and developed/tested/verified it for production for 3 years, since it favoured budgetary concerns. It is de riguer for an automaker to release a facelift/targeted mid-cycle update/significant MY enhancements, in parallel to internal approval of the final design for that same model's successor or engineering-influenced, design freeze.

If you look at many Lexus models and check the calendar year they received a refresh/facelft, 8-9 times out of 10, the successive generation had its styling set that same calendar year or model year. (ie. 2IS had second refresh in late 2010, 3IS final design was approved by late 2010) or (2016 MY ES 350 was facelifted, as Lexus signed off on new 240B programme final design in early 2016 for MY 2019 redesign). There is a reason for this pattern, in what I personally call, the "hidden baton toss".

The original version of a car gives way to an updated intra-generational version, which then quietly hands the baton to the next generation that already has its looks established, as the update makes its public debut. Very typical of most car companies.

Yes, but the difference here is the new car has already leaked. That almost never happens when a facelift is just debuting. It's normal and okay to be working on the next car, but it needs to be kept off public roads. MBZ or S-Class enthusiasts will start getting ahead of themselves with future purchase ideas, which can and will hurt the current refresh.
Not really that dire, as that "debut" was 10 months ago. It is not fresh news, just now the current version of the S-Class and nothing more. At this point MY 2019 improvements are already set in stone and the minuscule improvements for MY 2020 are being fleshed out, while the A team is deep into work on prototype testing the MY 2021 as expected. Toyota could've easily started testing the XF50 LS in camouflage starting 3 years ago, but held out for 18 months later than needed and resorted to Hokkaido. It is just clever and convenient for German OEMs, that like to tease future models and benefit from easy marketing. They have confidence in their product, that Japanese OEMs don't seem to have (regarding exposure) and hide until the last minute.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 02-10-18 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-10-18, 10:08 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ so much good info as always @Carmaker1
Old 02-10-18, 10:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

you often win the award for most negative posts. I expect actual buyers couldn't care less (and if they thought about, expect) that another model is under development.

about resale, irrelevant for most, who lease them.

it would not suck to drive the newly refreshed s class.

Quick Reply: 2018 MB S Class refresh...now base TT V6...