Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Makes Consumer Reports’ 10 Most Reliable Car List - Twice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
As far as styling goes and as it pertains to the list, Audi and Buick imho are good at styling. This doesn't make their cars reliable necessarily.
True, but, nonetheless, both brands are now considered above average in reliability, after a rather shady past. You can also say that about Kia...more so than Hyundai.

Lexus can't seem to get styling quite right imho, I'll probably be banned for saying this as this is a Lexus forum, but the RX350 is just awful. It was ugly pre '16, then became hideous. Make it even worse but putting more badges on it that amount to not much in performance lol
You are not alone. there are others in this forum who feel the same way. The spindle-grilles are quite controversial, and have made a lot of both friends and enemies.
Old 09-07-17, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Just looks like a typical american designed POS.
First of all, it is not even "American" to start with....it is a German-designed, rebadged Opel Cascada. Buick even kept the name...all they did, besides re-tune the engine to American emission standards, was swap the Opel badges for Buick Tri-Shelds.....probably one of the least-expensive American-market conversions in history LOL.

Looks like my dog when I slick her ears back.
Dogs are perhaps the most loyal animals on the planet.....they aren't called Man's Best Friend for nothing.

And BTW, I owned a Buick Regal and will never ever, ever own another Buick.
First, it is possible to get an unreliable car, even a lemon, from virtually any auto manufacturer, including Toyota and Lexus....althogh Toyota/Lexus generally have a reputation for building reliable vehicles. Second, you are free, of course, to spend your automotive dollars as you like, but, IMO, to make a Never-comment like that, based on a generally outdated image of Buick reliability, is like a clock running backwards.

Old 09-07-17, 07:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but, nonetheless, both brands are now considered above average in reliability, after a rather shady past. You can also say that about Kia...more so than Hyundai.

You are not alone. there are others in this forum who feel the same way. The spindle-grilles are quite controversial, and have made a lot of both friends and enemies.
If you put a vise on my head, and started squeezing it, and said, "DO YOU LIKE, OR DISLIKE, THE LS500, SPEAK NOW, OR WE TIGHTEN SOME MORE!" I would say like. Part of it is I want to like it. And I do like the interior (some don't). But I would admit something is not quite right about the rear starting behind the rear doors at the 1/4's, and if viewed from above (nowadays, seems like the glass/sunroofs are huge--this one seems puny like a 1981 Celica)...
Old 09-07-17, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Link to forbes article this is based on? Can't find it.
Old 09-07-17, 07:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

#3 says lexus es 350 / 450h ...
Old 09-07-17, 10:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I would have to question that list. Audi Allroad? VW Passat? For the umpteenth time, CR simply does not understand basic concepts of HS statistics. My buddy took a bath on an AWD Sienna, he got rid of it in less than 1 yr. He said there was a grinding sound that the dealer could not identify, after multiple visits to the dealership, and his wife said get rid of it. He thinks he lost like $13k in depreciation in < 1 yr. And the tires were shot at < 25k and of course the dealer blamed the way it was driven lol (reminds me of Honda when people were complaining their rear brakes were being replaced every 20k)

p.s. I'll always remember when CR slammed the most recent GTI, yet every rag praised it. Not too political of an organization now, are they?
In their annual auto report CR gave the GTI a high score from their Road Test (better than the A3). They seemed to really like it. From their Owner Surveys it got a Below Average Reliability score.. I agree the GTI has receieved very positive revies.
Old 09-07-17, 11:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In their annual auto report CR gave the GTI a high score from their Road Test (better than the A3). They seemed to really like it. From their Owner Surveys it got a Below Average Reliability score.. I agree the GTI has receieved very positive revies.
I remember when it first came out they were the odd duck and were very negative about the then new (2015) GTI. Given a chance to back-peddle, they stood by their negative review. I know my other car was on their most unreliable and avoid lists for 2007, 2008, 2009. then on their recommended list 2010. Same car. They are a really funny outfit...so to put an A4 and Passat on the 10 most reliable is simply a red flag right off the bat....
Old 09-07-17, 11:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I remember when it first came out they were the odd duck and were very negative about the then new (2015) GTI. Given a chance to back-peddle, they stood by their negative review. I know my other car was on their most unreliable and avoid lists for 2007, 2008, 2009. then on their recommended list 2010. Same car. They are a really funny outfit...so to put an A4 and Passat on the 10 most reliable is simply a red flag right off the bat....
Maybe it was a different report that you saw? I was able to look at their ratings beginning with the 2015 model year and nearly all areas they report on were highly rated. The only dip was for reliability which would come from owner reports. I'm not either pro or con CR but looking t their reports they are pretty much pro-GTI.
Old 09-07-17, 12:10 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Maybe it was a different report that you saw? I was able to look at their ratings beginning with the 2015 model year and nearly all areas they report on were highly rated. The only dip was for reliability which would come from owner reports. I'm not either pro or con CR but looking t their reports they are pretty much pro-GTI.
I think CR is about magazine subscriptions, which is why they change things up, if they find something didn't look right. btw I drove the 2015 for 4 days on a business trip, and it was a blast to drive.

http://jalopnik.com/consumer-reports...gti-1607720202
Old 09-07-17, 12:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

As far as styling goes and as it pertains to the list, Audi and Buick imho are good at styling. This doesn't make their cars reliable necessarily. Lexus can't seem to get styling quite right imho, I'll probably be banned for saying this as this is a Lexus forum, but the RX350 is just awful. It was ugly pre '16, then became hideous. Make it even worse but putting more badges on it that amount to not much in performance lol
When I first saw the current RX, I thought it was downright god awful. The front end, floating roof, and everything about just looked terrible. I will say, the exterior styling has really been growing on me for the last little while. it looks better now than it did before to my eyes. The interior materials are better IMO than in the past, but build quality IMO has gone downhill. One can very easily pop the radio ***** off so easily with a slight tug. Also, the dash and center console seem to creak and moan more than I would expect. But overall, the interior is much better place than most cars. I do question if the RX is really a tall ES wagon more than it is a SUV.
Old 09-07-17, 12:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ford does offer at least one convertible, Jill.....the Mustang. But, of course, it is a traditional ponycar, and designed for a somewhat different purpose than the Cascada.
Thanks . Never considered the Mustang.