Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Makes Consumer Reports’ 10 Most Reliable Car List - Twice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 01:20 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus Makes Consumer Reports’ 10 Most Reliable Car List - Twice!

Lexus Makes Consumer Reports’ 10 Most Reliable Car List - Twice!
by Jeffrey Bausch

Forbes crunched the numbers from Consumer Reports and came up with the top ten list of least trouble prone, most reliable, most satisfying to own cars from the last 12 years. Not surprisingly, two Lexus models make the list.

Old 09-06-17, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Interesting. My old Flight instructor (who I've stayed friends with all of these years) has had two Siennas, and both have had reliability and warranty-coverage issues. I understand, though, that his bad experience is not necessarily typical of Sienna owners.

I have to disagree with the comment about the Audi All-Road being like the Subaru Forester. IMO, it is far more like the Outback.

Hard to believe that he VW Passat has been that reliable, given the generally poor reputations of other VW products. Of course, unlike past versions, the present-generation American-market Passat was designed specifically for the American market and for American driving conditions.....so that might (?) be making a difference.
Old 09-06-17, 06:25 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The picture is so stretched out at first I thought Lexus made a new minivan.
Old 09-06-17, 06:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Interesting that there are no Buicks on the list. Seeing how CR touts the reliability, Buick should be on the list.
Old 09-06-17, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Interesting that there are no Buicks on the list. Seeing how CR touts the reliability, Buick should be on the list.
It's not surprising that Toyota and Lexus had the majority of the Top Ten models...both have been, with a few exceptions, reliability champs for decades. Buicks, particularly the Opel-derived ones, have been at or near the top of the reliability list for American-badged vehicles for several years now.

BTW, you have stated before that you like the Opel-derived Buick Cascada convertible. Though not in the Top Ten, its reliability has been pretty good, and, if you can get over the ride of its standard 20" wheels over bumps (I can't LOL), I think it is otherwise an excellent buy.
Old 09-06-17, 06:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes. Was stunned by the Cascada when I first saw it.
Old 09-06-17, 09:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Lots of errors in the article. The Prius shown is the Prime electric, not the standard Prius hybrid. False showings. Also, the Scion xB was discontinued for 2015. So that info is almost three years dated. Too bad someone didn't do their homework.
Old 09-06-17, 10:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Lots of errors in the article. The Prius shown is the Prime electric, not the standard Prius hybrid. False showings. Also, the Scion xB was discontinued for 2015. So that info is almost three years dated. Too bad someone didn't do their homework.
Yes, I noticed that about the Scion, too, but I figured (perhaps falsely) that the list might include a few used vehicles as well.
Old 09-07-17, 05:33 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes. Was stunned by the Cascada when I first saw it.
Yeah! Me too!!! It is hideous. Looks like my dog when I slick her ears back. Back way too far off the ground. Just looks like a typical american designed POS. And BTW, I owned a Buick Regal and will never ever, ever own another Buick.
Old 09-07-17, 05:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I would have to question that list. Audi Allroad? VW Passat? For the umpteenth time, CR simply does not understand basic concepts of HS statistics. My buddy took a bath on an AWD Sienna, he got rid of it in less than 1 yr. He said there was a grinding sound that the dealer could not identify, after multiple visits to the dealership, and his wife said get rid of it. He thinks he lost like $13k in depreciation in < 1 yr. And the tires were shot at < 25k and of course the dealer blamed the way it was driven lol (reminds me of Honda when people were complaining their rear brakes were being replaced every 20k)

p.s. I'll always remember when CR slammed the most recent GTI, yet every rag praised it. Not too political of an organization now, are they?
Old 09-07-17, 06:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Yeah! Me too!!! It is hideous. Looks like my dog when I slick her ears back. Back way too far off the ground. Just looks like a typical american designed POS. And BTW, I owned a Buick Regal and will never ever, ever own another Buick.
There is no need for "American Designed POS" comments. That is a fast track to my ignore list . Anyways, I think you are in the minority. I have only seen one Cascada in the wild, it was at Wayne Gretzky's Winery in Niagara. It was that light blue color. There were more than a few people giving it a double look. Great looking car IMO. And go figure. Out of Honda/Toyota/Lexus/Acura/Lincoln/Hyundai/Kia/Ford/ and Dodge. Buick is the brand that offers a cabriolet.
Old 09-07-17, 06:11 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

There is no need for "American Designed POS" comments. That is a fast track to my ignore list :
Well that won't bother me one bit, but it's still hideous and whoever designed it had no eye for balance or style.
Old 09-07-17, 06:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Well that won't bother me one bit, but it's still hideous and whoever designed it had no eye for balance or style.
Styling is subjective. Too me is looks great. It is one GM product I would absolutely by. Not a fan of GM or convertibles, the Cascada I really like.
Old 09-07-17, 06:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

As far as styling goes and as it pertains to the list, Audi and Buick imho are good at styling. This doesn't make their cars reliable necessarily. Lexus can't seem to get styling quite right imho, I'll probably be banned for saying this as this is a Lexus forum, but the RX350 is just awful. It was ugly pre '16, then became hideous. Make it even worse but putting more badges on it that amount to not much in performance lol

Was behind a new A4 this AM and c'mon now, how cool is the turn signal. It's like Audi knows how to make it cool, then they just have to add the over the top factor with the lower lamp blinking as well as the upper ones pointing. But I don't believe the A4 is all that reliable.
Old 09-07-17, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have only seen one Cascada in the wild, it was at Wayne Gretzky's Winery in Niagara. It was that light blue color. There were more than a few people giving it a double look. Great looking car IMO. And go figure. Out of Honda/Toyota/Lexus/Acura/Lincoln/Hyundai/Kia/FORD/ and Dodge. Buick is the brand that offers a cabriolet.
Ford does offer at least one convertible, Jill.....the Mustang. But, of course, it is a traditional ponycar, and designed for a somewhat different purpose than the Cascada.

Quick Reply: Lexus Makes Consumer Reports’ 10 Most Reliable Car List - Twice!