Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you buy an unreliable car with a Carmax warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-17, 01:26 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
There are a few aftermarket companies that do ///M cars not sure about AMG.

Any reason your getting rid of the M4 and not just extending warranty through BMW.
I got rid of my 16 M3 earlier this year but in process of ordering a 18 M3 with CompPack, really nothing better out there in M3/M4 class.
i guess we could do that. depending on how much BMW values their protection. she actually wants to keep it/get another. me? im ready to move on to the next, new hotness. but its not my car. hahahaha. hoping to move her up to a 991.1/2. but that may need to be tabled as we're getting the new house 'itch'...
Old 09-09-17, 03:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

911 is def worthy upgrade
Old 09-09-17, 05:45 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what I've seen of their vehicles, I don't necessarily think they are overpriced, considering the nice condition most of them are in, and the way they are inspected and detailed/reconditioned. Car Max is not your typical Smiling-Sam, We-Sell-Junk used-car place with rolled-back odometers and attempts to hide flood or accident damage, so, naturally, you're going to pay a little more. You've got a place with nice service/repair facilities, ASE-Certified technicians, an ethical code in dealing with customers, modern showrooms, one-price / no-dicker deals to make the transactions simple, Notary-Publics there for tag/title-work, and both standard and optional warranties.....once the manufacturer's original warranty ends, if it is not transferable. In most cases, the condition of the vehicles pretty much matches the advertising, though I did go out to look at a used Subaru SVX once, some years ago, with a friend of mine who was shopping, and, sitting on the lot, it turned out to have a serious trunk-leak. But, that was the exception, rather than the rule.
I think you're right. Carmax doesn't tend to put any real garbage on the lot, most of their inventory is nice as you say. Their pricing is reasonable if on the high side, but they also seem to apply that principle to their offers for your car where they offer the higher of their value or KBB (of course you have to be careful that their KBB parameters are ones you agree with. I was working a possible deal on a Ram earlier this year and my local Carmax offered me 3K more in July for my Sierra than my Ram dealer offered me in Feb - and the Ram number was part of a deal to buy a new Ram, Carmax would have paid me their offer number there and then whether I bought a car from them or not (I ended up keeping my Sierra).

I'd actually say if you are interested in a vehicle which may be less than totally reliable then Carmax may be one of the best places to do that, provided you get the warranty. As Doug DeMuro and others have shown, they stand behind the warranty. If you're in the market for a used car they are usually worth a look IMO.
Old 09-11-17, 11:17 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow. I was definitely not expecting to get this many responses, but I am glad I did. It seems that I did end up making the right choice. I've driven a 335i before and they definitely drive and handle better than a 350 but there are far too many problems to deal with.

Carmax does overprice almost all of their inventory, but they definitely do a good job making sure the car and all of its features are working before making a sale. On my IS350, the driver's window switch was broken and they made sure that it was fixed before they sold me the car. Took about another week but at least they let me know what was wrong and fixed it. They definitely care about their business image a lot more than the majority of car dealerships. Saved me about $500 including labor. The warranty for the IS350 was about $1,500 (+/- about 200 depending on how many miles you would want it to cover to [anywhere from 100k to 150k over 4 years]) and according to them, it covers any electrical and mechanical faults in the car (which would be a life saver on any car with a bad reliability record). Because I'm assuming they thoroughly check each car before they sell it, they might just sell cars they don't want to an auction so they don't have to deal with it. Granted you should always do a pre purchase inspection before you buy any car, but at least it reassures you a small amount that they'll fix all problems before selling it.

Originally Posted by situman
Would you feel good about a car that might leave u stranded any minute? What about leaving your family stranded?
Originally Posted by pman6
How many times will you tolerate bringing the car to the shop? time is money.
These are very fair points and are 2 of the main reasons I decided against it. I'm not buying a car to drive a dealer rental every few weeks because something new broke. I'm usually too busy to deal with this.
Old 09-11-17, 11:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
There are a few aftermarket companies that do ///M cars not sure about AMG.

Any reason your getting rid of the M4 and not just extending warranty through BMW.
I got rid of my 16 M3 earlier this year but in process of ordering a 18 M3 with CompPack, really nothing better out there in M3/M4 class.
I think it was this forum that pointed out M3/M4 was losing its carbon fiber driveshaft....I kind of like keeping things that are good and maybe closer to the sweet spot....maybe your '16 is that vs. an '18...I feel like the general public is about numbers a lot of the time...so if a new M5 has higher numbers, but a fully traditional automatic, that's ok for the people who have the coyne....who needs a clutch or a dual clutch...
Old 09-14-17, 10:51 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I've ran this same thought through my head many times, however, I've always decided against it. As stated, prices are usually substantially higher than other dealers + the added cost of a service contract make it not worth it to me. I could bank the extra $5000 their markup and service contract cost and use that as my "warranty" and if I don't have to use it I have a bonus, not the warranty company.