Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you buy an unreliable car with a Carmax warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 05:43 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Would you buy an unreliable car with a Carmax warranty?

So before I got my IS350, I thought about getting a 335i or a 335is from Carmax and getting the warranty along with it just so when the fuel pump fails and the wastegate rattles and any other of the million problems with those cars come up, I could get it fixed without having to shell out thousands. The warranty would pay for itself probably a few times over and the 335i/335is are both much better performance cars than the IS350, but the downside would be that any performance modification would probably void it and when stuff does break, it would probably just be a hassle getting it fixed especially if you have a busy schedule. What do you guys think? Did I make the right choice going for the IS350 instead of this? And would you get an unreliable car if it were under warranty?
Old 09-07-17, 05:53 PM
08treefidd
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like turning all my own wrenches. I would personally NEVER buy a pos just because I assumed a warranty would cover it. There is always some loophole with those things and often the "rest assured" portion of the warranty is more smoke and mirrors then anything. Not familiar with their's specifically, but I've seen enough issues among friends to not trust them.
Old 09-07-17, 07:12 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Someone, somehow, must pay to fix these unreliable cars. If you are not paying for it because you bought an aftermarket warranty, you will have to hope that there are many people out there who buy such a warranty, even when they do not need it, so that they can subsidize the repairs of your unreliable car.

If not enough people who do not need such a warranty buy them, the warranty company will go out of business or they will put many unreasonable conditions and demands on your warranty. In other words, you may find that the aftermarket warranty was not worth the money you spent.

In the OP's case, you would hope that many Lexus (IS 350) owners are buying the warranty so that they can pay to fix your BMW (335i).
Old 09-07-17, 08:20 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

warranties are full of holes.

so no, not worth the headache. How many times will you tolerate bringing the car to the shop?
time is money.
Old 09-07-17, 08:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
So before I got my IS350, I thought about getting a 335i or a 335is from Carmax and getting the warranty along with it just so when the fuel pump fails and the wastegate rattles and any other of the million problems with those cars come up, I could get it fixed without having to shell out thousands. The warranty would pay for itself probably a few times over and the 335i/335is are both much better performance cars than the IS350, but the downside would be that any performance modification would probably void it and when stuff does break, it would probably just be a hassle getting it fixed especially if you have a busy schedule. What do you guys think? Did I make the right choice going for the IS350 instead of this? And would you get an unreliable car if it were under warranty?
I turn my own wrenches too, but my own research tells me you better have had a good BMW independent mechanic nearby if you were ever going to fool around under the hood of a 335i. If you get in over your head, then what? As far as the Carmax and other assorted "plans", "peace-of-mind" warranties; think back to when an insurance company of any kind ever gave you the benefit of the doubt without stealing your money.

Bottom line from what I know: Be really, really rich and enjoy a German sedan or never buy a German car out of its original warranty unless you have a home garage with a full set of air tools, a hoist and a diagnostic system. Next to it you should have a Japanese sedan or CUV to head on over to the parts store or the nearest independent German car place that can figure out mysterious maladies that get worse and worse from the original warranty year.
Old 09-07-17, 09:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Carmax like Lexus Certified makes money on people who buy warranties on reliable cars as one said. They also dont underwrite these policies themselves so another hand in the jar.

We have examples like Doug Demuro, and then countless posts online stating the otherwise. Bottomline is if your up for the legwork to make sure ur service orders are SAs write things as per your contract you should be fine. however, not everyone has the beauty of that, and a SA or service orders tend to be written to get YOU to pay the mostv with such words a "normal wear and tear".
Old 09-08-17, 07:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
Would you feel good about a car that might leave u stranded any minute? What about leaving your family stranded?
Old 09-08-17, 10:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

NO. I would never buy anything from Carmax, they are always thousands overpriced to begin with.

Many thoughts here. I am one of those people who has purchased two extended warranties, and am very much against them.

Now, I also am the original owner of an '07 335i coupe. I had a factory 7/100 warranty and pretty much got nothing out of it. At the last minute, I got a VANOS job out of it, worth around $700 retail. 1/4 the cost of the warranty, which was $3500 list (got it over the phone discount).

In early '16, the ABS pump failed, a $4,200 job at the dealer. Dodged that bullet by DIY. Someone who is setup can do it for about $290 or $300. I didn't have the BMW software (factory), didn't have a Motive bleeder, didn't have line wrenches, so I was at about $450 when all was said and done. I'm glad this failed out of warranty, because if it had failed under warranty, it would have been a $50 deductible, but 2-3 yrs. later it'd be the same thing again, out of warranty. This job I learned the hard way, and I took my time, like 4 mos.? It was winter and this is an extra car. Plus, BMWNA gave me a loaner for over 4 mos. anyway due to the Takata thing. But if it were my only car, not sure.

Today, my wife's 2011 failed a PA state safety inspection. Shop wanted $700 to put in some cheap a** gabriel struts. I thought dag, my uncle coulda done that for about $68x2 if he still were down here. I go online and wouldn't you know, struts are covered by the extended warranty. I called the plan to verify, he said absolutely covered, and he recommends I go to the dealer, not do it at the muffler shop. Then again, this warranty was cheaper @ $2,100, but it's unlikely we'll break even. But hey, saved $700 today. Oh lifetime warranty is BS too, I looked, labor is $453. So they fail in the future, you still fork over $453.

Moral is don't be like me and buy extended warranties for peace of mind. I used to be more of a cowboy, not even having health insurance when I was single. Be that cowboy.

Just don't be a cowboy with a 335i, most of the cars on the used market have been JB4'd with 380HP to the rear wheels, and they're gonna have some issues. You want my 335i, only it's not for sale lol it's a garage queen and quite reliable

Did you make the right decision, yes, you made the safe decision. What you lost out on was how well 335's drive. Lexus in my case is like driving a sofa on the highway, literally. But I enjoy that, just realize it is what it is.
Old 09-08-17, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
NO. I would never buy anything from Carmax, they are always thousands overpriced to begin with.
From what I've seen of their vehicles, I don't necessarily think they are overpriced, considering the nice condition most of them are in, and the way they are inspected and detailed/reconditioned. Car Max is not your typical Smiling-Sam, We-Sell-Junk used-car place with rolled-back odometers and attempts to hide flood or accident damage, so, naturally, you're going to pay a little more. You've got a place with nice service/repair facilities, ASE-Certified technicians, an ethical code in dealing with customers, modern showrooms, one-price / no-dicker deals to make the transactions simple, Notary-Publics there for tag/title-work, and both standard and optional warranties.....once the manufacturer's original warranty ends, if it is not transferable. In most cases, the condition of the vehicles pretty much matches the advertising, though I did go out to look at a used Subaru SVX once, some years ago, with a friend of mine who was shopping, and, sitting on the lot, it turned out to have a serious trunk-leak. But, that was the exception, rather than the rule.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-08-17 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 09:17 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I would never buy a car known for it's expensive repair and maintenance costs. (Warranty or not)

Yes, some BMWs are beautiful, but so are some crack wh0res. They will eventually drain your wallet and cause you pain. Hug your IS350 and tell her you love her. You made the right choice.
Old 09-08-17, 09:59 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

LOL, WELL PUT.

Way back (more than some 15 years ago) I had a 1995 Volvo 960 4 door sedan that I bought brand new. It had lots of small issues in the first few years and all were fixed by OEM warranty. So I decided to keep it long term. I had a 2000 LX470 SUV bought new also at the same overlapping period. I had a flatbed trailer too. So I was ready to tow the old Volvo toy my trusty Swedish Indy mechanic if needed. Lucky for me, not too many problems after the warranty expired and I kept the Volvo until 2013 (got new vehicles and the Volvo was just sitting around in the driveway).

So true, if you are going to have an euro car out of warranty, you gotta have a reliable Japanese car or SUV as a backup.

Originally Posted by MattyG
I turn my own wrenches too, but my own research tells me you better have had a good BMW independent mechanic nearby if you were ever going to fool around under the hood of a 335i. If you get in over your head, then what? As far as the Carmax and other assorted "plans", "peace-of-mind" warranties; think back to when an insurance company of any kind ever gave you the benefit of the doubt without stealing your money.

Bottom line from what I know: Be really, really rich and enjoy a German sedan or never buy a German car out of its original warranty unless you have a home garage with a full set of air tools, a hoist and a diagnostic system. Next to it you should have a Japanese sedan or CUV to head on over to the parts store or the nearest independent German car place that can figure out mysterious maladies that get worse and worse from the original warranty year.
Old 09-08-17, 10:37 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well.....I bought an 'unreliable' car in my 2013 BMW 550. However...I made sure that I purchased an aftermarket warranty with it. I'm not sure what carmax warranties run....but I get mine through Route 66. Its pretty comprehensive...doesn't cover stereo, wear and tear items, etc. But it's a 5 yr/100k warranty that cost me an extra $2k. And they will pay any mechanic....even dealerships. Well...except for United (Penske) BMW of Atlanta. Which should tell you something about their pricing as the other BMW dealerships are paid.

So far, I've had to use it once. On, guess what, an HPFP!!! Silly part is, the HPFP caused misfires on the passenger bank. It fouled the plugs. They refused to pay for the plugs as they are 'wear and tear' items. No biggie....my car has 60k miles and it was time to change plugs, anyway. So, instead of the $300 I was gonna have to pay to change 4, I changed all 8 for $70 and 45 mins worth of my time.

I would never own a German car without a warranty. Which is why my wife's M4 will be up for sale in the spring. But the Route 66 warranty is great peace of mind and I will use for the rest of my car purchases. (I only buy used, for myself).

If they only warrantied AMG/Ms...
Old 09-09-17, 06:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what I've seen of their vehicles, I don't necessarily think they are overpriced, considering the nice condition most of them are in, and the way they are inspected and detailed/reconditioned. Car Max is not your typical Smiling-Sam, We-Sell-Junk used-car place with rolled-back odometers and attempts to hide flood or accident damage, so, naturally, you're going to pay a little more. You've got a place with nice service/repair facilities, ASE-Certified technicians, an ethical code in dealing with customers, modern showrooms, one-price / no-dicker deals to make the transactions simple, Notary-Publics there for tag/title-work, and both standard and optional warranties.....once the manufacturer's original warranty ends, if it is not transferable. In most cases, the condition of the vehicles pretty much matches the advertising, though I did go out to look at a used Subaru SVX once, some years ago, with a friend of mine who was shopping, and, sitting on the lot, it turned out to have a serious trunk-leak. But, that was the exception, rather than the rule.
I like when there is "built in" protection. I bought my used LS430 in NYS, and it was from Naples FLA. The fact that the dealer is a new car dealer imho doesn't change the law, but probably made it better for me in treatment. After the sale, I found the door actuator was not working (common with LS430's and around $840 at the dealer, guys DIY to avoid), and the brakes were pulsating (should have driven harder on the test drive but we were on the Saw Mill not much I could do). It was a major hassle going back sure, but they fixed these things no questions asked. I asked for OE Lexus brake parts, and they obliged. They returned the boxes and they were labeled Lexus of Mt Kisco down to the overpriced brake sensor wire ($80+ what a joke Lexus) and caliper bolts. The fact that they returned the old caliper bolts tells me they did the job right. I asked them to use anti seize on the new rotors so I could get them off, and guess what, I saw it around the hubs when I mounted the snows. Somehow, I don't think a used car dealer would have obliged on the above. The NYS law is basically around the powertrain, and obviously door actuator and brakes are not that. They also collected PA sales tax and FedEx'd my plate, while refunding a portion of what they collected as the estimate to do so. I get that integrity is not always there in the car business, but one shouldn't have to pay extra for it, like at Carmax.

Some like the Carmax business model--it's like going to the mall for a diamond engagement ring or a pet shop for a dog. I'm of the camp who would never do that...
Old 09-09-17, 06:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrRick
Well.....I bought an 'unreliable' car in my 2013 BMW 550. However...I made sure that I purchased an aftermarket warranty with it. I'm not sure what carmax warranties run....but I get mine through Route 66. Its pretty comprehensive...doesn't cover stereo, wear and tear items, etc. But it's a 5 yr/100k warranty that cost me an extra $2k. And they will pay any mechanic....even dealerships. Well...except for United (Penske) BMW of Atlanta. Which should tell you something about their pricing as the other BMW dealerships are paid.

So far, I've had to use it once. On, guess what, an HPFP!!! Silly part is, the HPFP caused misfires on the passenger bank. It fouled the plugs. They refused to pay for the plugs as they are 'wear and tear' items. No biggie....my car has 60k miles and it was time to change plugs, anyway. So, instead of the $300 I was gonna have to pay to change 4, I changed all 8 for $70 and 45 mins worth of my time.

I would never own a German car without a warranty. Which is why my wife's M4 will be up for sale in the spring. But the Route 66 warranty is great peace of mind and I will use for the rest of my car purchases. (I only buy used, for myself).

I hear you, but my car has been out of warranty for almost 4 yrs. Maybe the difference is I'm the original owner and never modded it when compared to many cars out there. Not a V8 but 6 cyl twin turbo N54.

My cousin's wife got a X5 5.0 CPO and it was always at the dealership to the point she got rid of it. I think the deciding factor was when a drive axle broke off on I-287 and there was oil all over the highway, some of her coworkers told her you could have been in a very bad place. She was already unhappy when both turbos were replaced.

If I had a M4, I would keep it, they have enviable depreciation. I wish I coulda gotten a E92 M3 way back when, but the delta was just too much for my wallet. I'll always remember though looking up the extended warranty and it was $7,100 (back in 2008)....and the low EPA numbers made it no way. Hindsight....
Old 09-09-17, 12:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick

There are a few aftermarket companies that do ///M cars not sure about AMG.

Any reason your getting rid of the M4 and not just extending warranty through BMW.
I got rid of my 16 M3 earlier this year but in process of ordering a 18 M3 with CompPack, really nothing better out there in M3/M4 class.

Quick Reply: Would you buy an unreliable car with a Carmax warranty?