Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz will electrify its entire car lineup

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 11:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Mercedes-Benz will electrify its entire car lineup

So Volvo wasn't crazy after all? This means that every model can be a hybrid or electric, not that there would be no more gasoline vehicles, correct? The keyword I picked up was "variants..."

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/11/me...ineup-by-2022/
Old 09-11-17, 12:01 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

There are a number of factors that are forcing automakers to electrify their drivetrains.
  • Fuel consumption requirements keep getting lower in North America.
  • Exhaust emission requirements are getting ever more stringent, especially in Europe, which up to now do not match American standards.
  • Europe has been relying on diesel passenger cars to meet their fuel consumption and exhaust emission requirements but it is getting technologically difficult -- and therefore expensive -- to clean up diesel exhaust emissions to meet new standards.
  • Large European cities are taking notice of the harm that diesel exhaust has caused, and banning diesel passenger vehicles from city centres. European cities (London, Paris) and countries (Germany) are planning to ban petroleum- (diesel AND gasoline) powered passenger cars outright within approximately 20 years.
  • VW was caught cheating on their small diesel engines.
  • Mazda, that has promised a SkyActivD diesel engine for North America for the longest period, still cannot produce one that easily (read cheaply) meets American emission requirements.
  • As a result, diesel is dead, at least for passenger cars.
  • The easiest option to replace the diesel engine in passenger cars is a gas-electric hybrid, at least in the interim, before fully electric vehicles become truly viable with new, and higher-capacity, quick-charging batteries come on line.
Old 09-11-17, 12:11 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 476 Likes on 314 Posts

Good post Mr Sulu.
Old 09-13-17, 10:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Volvo, AM, Maserati, Benz.. its a domino effect. Only a matter of time before the rest fall in line and make similar announcements.
Old 09-13-17, 12:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
  • As a result, diesel is dead, at least for passenger cars.
might be jumping the gun there just a bit. or basically wishful thinking.

i just drove hundreds of miles in a new diesel ford modeo (big fastback / hatch) in europe. it was smooth, quiet, very responsive, enormous driving range with about 48 miles to each imperial gallon (about 40 to u.s. gallon). i don't think it's quite dead yet as no doubt a hybrid or electric costs HUGELY more for much less capability.

in all those hundreds of miles i didn't see one tesla. i did see a few lexus rx that were all 450h's. also saw thousands of new or very recent audi, bmw, mercedes, range rover and other diesel and gasoline models. i saw a couple of other hybrids, one looked like a corolla (didn't catch the model).

i'd say we're 5-10 years from anything but a tiny niche adoption of electrics in europe, despite all the wishes of politicians and 'concerned' people - those usually who can afford to drive whatever they want, unlikely the vast majority.