Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-17, 07:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Lots of opinions and good discussion here...

Some thoughts and opinions:

Lexus doesn't need to be a 'sales leader' (i guess that would be vs. the big german 3) to be 'successful'.

Lexus is right to go its own way. It may not be for everyone, but it creates a defensible loyal niche.

no brand can be all things to all people although mb comes close.

peteharvey - as mentioned you should watch the videos if you haven't, the new ls also has active f/r stabilizer bars, rear steering option and hollow wheels which lower noise plus reduce unsprung weight - i think this ls is going to be spectacular in the drive, and the f-sport in particular.

i don't believe the ls needs, and i don't believe it will get, a ttv8. Cars like the s63/s65 sell in tiny numbers and while providing a halo for mb, lexus goes its own way.
Old 09-17-17, 08:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Keep your calendars updated. Sept 28th is when the driving impressions are lifted from embargo Not all models will have air suspension. 5 different alloy wheels. 19/29 EPA. 23 combined. Not sure if the above has been convered. 500h gets 28MPG combined. $75-$98K is the price range.
Old 09-17-17, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Correct, air suspension will be optional as it is now, BUT all models WILL have AVS, adaptive variable suspension. So coil sprung cars will have active dampers, so they will have a comfort mode most likely, and a Sport S+ mode. Thats a change from the current car where the coil spring setup is static. My experience with AVS on my luxury package GS was very positive, I was really impressed by how nice the ride was in a straight line while still being very flat and fun to drive on a curvy road. Comparing that GS to a GS without the AVS was a huge difference.

The description in the presentation for the air suspension was "to deliver superb ride comfort", and they mentioned the hope that many of their customers would be returning LS owners and LS owners who may have strayed because the car had gotten so old, so I have faith that the LS "feel" to the ride and drive will be intact...
Old 09-17-17, 10:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If you read the reviews. The LC is sublime on the roads in comfort mode.
I plan to test-drive an LC myself, if possible. Lately I've been tied up with a number of other things.

The S-class is just a great riding car.
Absolutely. In some ways, for ride comfort, the non-AMG version sets an automotive benchmark.

I think Lexus knows that it is doing. I don't see someone who owns a Mercedes or a Lexus in their younger years moving to soft riding Buick's in their older age.
That's because (comparatively speaking) not many younger people own brand-new Mercedes or Lexus products...they usually end up with used ones or, if possible, CPO's. I had a brand-new Lexus IS300, but I was almost 50 when I actually bought it.
Old 09-17-17, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Brand new Lexus vehicles can be had for affordable prices. I was 22 when I bought my first new Lexus.
Old 09-17-17, 11:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The description in the presentation for the air suspension was "to deliver superb ride comfort", and they mentioned the hope that many of their customers would be returning LS owners and LS owners who may have strayed because the car had gotten so old, so I have faith that the LS "feel" to the ride and drive will be intact...
I've driven a number of Lexus products (including an LS460), but don't remember sampling one with air suspension. Does it really make that much of a difference? I have sampled Town Cars both with and without the air suspension...and the option, to the seat of my pants at least, didn't seem to make much difference in road manners....except that it does keep the back end of the car from drooping down when the trunk is filled up or when heavyweights like me get into the back seat LOL.
Old 09-17-17, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've had the LS with and without the air. There's not a huge difference, but if the standard suspension is sportier in the next LS the air may provide an option for those who want a more traditional al ride.
Old 09-17-17, 12:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Great post Bit.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lots of opinions and good discussion here...
Lexus doesn't need to be a 'sales leader' (i guess that would be vs. the big german 3) to be 'successful'.
I agree, leaders come and go, but I think more importantly is being consistent, which Lexus tends to be.

Lexus is right to go its own way. It may not be for everyone, but it creates a defensible loyal niche.
Like I've mentioned before, Lexus likes to march to the beat of their own drum, which is fine. Everyone loves to compare things in life, its just human nature. That said its OK that Lexus is not German. The latest LS500 reflects a strong, uniquely Japanese identity and approach to luxury this time around. Toshio Asahi chief engineer for the new LS had this to say, "Not only will the LS symbolize the Lexus brand, it will become the definitive new-generation luxury car embodying Japanese tradition and culture. As such, this global pinnacle must go far beyond what the world expects from a luxury car.”

no brand can be all things to all people although mb comes close.
From the CLA to the Mercedes-AMG Project 1 and everything in between, Mercedes is the ultimate manufacturer when it comes to a combination of heritage, exclusiveness, prowess, brand cachet.

i don't believe the ls needs, and i don't believe it will get, a ttv8. Cars like the s63/s65 sell in tiny numbers and while providing a halo for mb, lexus goes its own way.
This rumored 4.0L V8 is apparently two 2.0T's sandwiched together. I can see Lexus offering a low volume model. LC F and GS F are likely to get it before the 5LS though.
Old 09-17-17, 01:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

thanks hoovey.

about the ls500 having 'uniquely japanese identity' i think that's only true of some aspects of the interior. because if the exterior ('coke bottle') design is uniquely japanese then what the heck have all the prior conservative ls designs been?

the orgami and glass trim is unique and special, although a bit too 'elvis' for me. i was actually really glad to see an ls without those things in the videos... love the wood and stitched paneling instead... the flowing lines all over the insides are pretty amazing.
Old 09-17-17, 01:10 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

"Winner's come and go, but Legends live forever"

-Richard Petty, the day of Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s death. It could be applied to the Lexus LS as well.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Brand new Lexus vehicles can be had for affordable prices. I was 22 when I bought my first new Lexus.
My mortgage broker drives a 2016 LS 460 (I think the L? Its Looooong), and he is buying a house around the corner from mine in a pretty affluent neighborhood. He is 24.
Old 09-17-17, 01:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I notice that new 5LS has aluminium: bonnet, trunk, door skins & roof, plus cast aluminium suspension strut housings.

This should help to reduce weight for more performance, economy, braking & handling.

However styling like S Class is still utmost important to be sales leader.
Alternatively, Lexus could choose to go their own way, style their cars like an Infiniti, and sell like an Infiniti.

At the end of the day, it is still the reputation & total package that counts.
Benz are generally very well styled, but I've seen some models like old 2009-16 E Class styled rather poorly, yet still manage record sales - thanks to reputation & all round package, so you never know what 5LS can bring...

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-17-17 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just remember, just because you don't like the styling doesn't mean others won't
Old 09-17-17, 03:28 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Sure, there are some who like 5LS styling, but much more negative posts like FizzBoy, MattyG & Bitkahuna etc above - unlike say the new LC coupe which has drawn relatively more positive views on styling.
Old 09-17-17, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Sure, there are some who like 5LS styling, but much more negative posts like FizzBoy, MattyG & Bitkahuna etc above - unlike say the new LC coupe which has drawn relatively more positive views on styling.
Hardly scientific or a representative sample.
Old 09-17-17, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, and that's just the general nature of Car Chat......the large size of the forum alone virtually guarantees that there will be plenty of different points of view on just about any automotive feature.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h