Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 11:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I watched about 10 min. where the guy has the maroon F Sport....I do like the car. It's not perfect especially in the styling dept. for me, but I do think the car is very sweet....I would like to think the 275/245 setup with the 6 piston front/4 piston rear calipers indicates some degree of seriousness.....might have been a AWD not sure, RWD would be most ideal imho...
Old 09-26-17, 01:19 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Can't wait to watch the reviews. Busy day at work unfortunately and won't be able to until tonight.
Same here. I’m so antsy lol.
Old 09-26-17, 01:43 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I watched the 27 minute video and also the video by Tom Voelk. I still feel strongly that I like the styling of the car only in certain color and wheel combos. I like it way better than I did a few months ago in the right color (on a side note, I personally don't care for the red interior whatsoever). The rounded portion over the front wheels is very much like Infiniti Q70. There are certain design elements that are part Infiniti, part Tesla, part Maserati. The grill is 100% Lexus and I like how the car looks from the front, and the tail lights aren't that much of a radical departure from 13-17 460 (they borrow more from the 460 than they leave behind). The car looks good in motion while driving.

It's very clear Lexus is trying to shake the "boring" tag off of the LS from a styling and driving perspective. One thing I def don't like is the different size tires in front & rear.

Overall, seems like it's getting great reviews on ride quality and noise levels which are 2 most important things to me outside of reliability. I also love that it's 3 inches longer than the current LWB.
Old 09-26-17, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I've watched the Alex on Autos review and Motoman. Looks good! Ride comfort with air suspension "easily the equal of the S Class with airmatic", cabin noise looks good. I really like the looks in video from most angles (rear, still meh), and the interior looks awesome.

I'm enthused!
Old 09-26-17, 04:50 PM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 09-26-17, 06:27 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

It looks gorgeous in the F Sport trim.

BUT

The chrome wheels diminishes this car in many ways.
And the stubbed horns sticking out above the instrument cluster reminds me of Hellboy ​​​​​​​
Lexus LS500 interior......oh wait...

Last edited by Propulsion; 09-26-17 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-26-17, 07:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Some angles it looks great, some good, and a few meh. The interior I can't get over and might make a trip to the dealer just to sit in one.

About that V-6. I'm sure it's more than adequate. However, on one of these vids where the guy gunned the engine, let's just say the ripping silk sound is gone and it now sounds like every other 3.5L Toyota V6. First thing I thought was, "sounds exactly like our IS350." I had it through my Bose surround sound off my TV so it wasn't just a listen through laptop speakers. Car doesn't sound good to my ears.

I still think it was a huge mistake to drop the V-8, even if most people won't care.

But overall I don't see Lexus not meeting sales targets with this new LS. They reallllly priced it right. Like most of you, I was expecting it to base at 10k more at least.

Last edited by AJT123; 09-26-17 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-26-17, 10:57 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm more intrigued about the LS500 than I thought I would be, after seeing some of the video reviews. I think Alex on Autos did the math wrong when calculating the 6.1 0-60 time for the hybrid since he is heard repeatedly saying the hybrid is "half-a-second" slower than the quoted LS500 time of 4.6 seconds. Love the sound of the TT V6 though. The pleated door treatment and seat patterns are a little plain and the interior doesn't look that modern in videos, but I really like the performance of the car and the improved massaging features and standard LWB. Some of the other video reviews mentioned standard air suspension. It looks like the new LS can really handle too and is on par with the 7-series! That HUD is also quite impressive! The new LS is more powerful, quiet, better handling, and more comfortable. I may have to look more into it in the used market in the future. With pricing starting at $75K, the LS has a real chance to steal sales from the competition. I'm not crazy about the exterior styling, especially in the rear taillights, and the car looks too much like a Mazda from certain angles. I agree with what someone else said, that the LS500 looks much better in certain colors than others. Can't wait to get a closer look of the car when it hits showrooms.
Old 09-27-17, 04:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The pleated door panels and seat stitching are plain?!? If anything IMHO they’re a tad garish.
Old 09-27-17, 07:03 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

The pleated door panels and seat stitching are plain?!? If anything IMHO they’re a tad garish.
Some combos and options are too ornate and yes, garish too. The dark gray velvet door lining and seat bottom patterns are very drab, that sort of plain. Some of the seat treatments appear fit for a Corolla.
Old 09-27-17, 07:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I still think it was a huge mistake to drop the V-8, even if most people won't care.
I was against the notion of the a V8, but I think I might of been wrong. It appears the lack of a V8 at least as an option was a big mistake. I think Lexus might of got a lot of good will if they offered a V12, would of shut up a lot of people and would of got a lot of respect from everyone and it would of distanced itself from Genesis etc etc.

Originally Posted by AJT123
But overall I don't see Lexus not meeting sales targets with this new LS. They reallllly priced it right. Like most of you, I was expecting it to base at 10k more at least.
I thought the price was going to be close to $85K. I wonder if Lexus decided to drop the entry price point.

To be honest, the reviews seem to "Ok" or "Good" They are not glowing like the LC500 reviews.

I just read the review from Automobile. They say its not as quiet as a Cadillac CT6 or Genesis.

"If there’s one complaint about the new Lexus’ cabin, it’s that there’s more wind and road noise than there ought to be—it’s noisier than the already noisy CT6, and markedly noisier than the Genesis G90"

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/fi...2018-lexus-ls/
Old 09-27-17, 07:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Some combos and options are too ornate and yes, garish too. The dark gray velvet door lining and seat bottom patterns are very drab, that sort of plain. Some of the seat treatments appear fit for a Corolla.
You’re looking at different Corollas than I’ve ever seen
Old 09-27-17, 07:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

You’re looking at different Corollas than I’ve ever seen
It's the Corolla S type R, the dark web says they are limited edition, you have to already own the regular S before you can get one....
Old 09-27-17, 07:54 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I was against the notion of the a V8, but I think I might of been wrong. It appears the lack of a V8 at least as an option was a big mistake. I think Lexus might of got a lot of good will if they offered a V12, would of shut up a lot of people and would of got a lot of respect from everyone and it would of distanced itself from Genesis etc etc.

I thought the price was going to be close to $85K. I wonder if Lexus decided to drop the entry price point.

I just read the review from Automobile. They say its not as quiet as a Cadillac CT6 or Genesis.

"If there’s one complaint about the new Lexus’ cabin, it’s that there’s more wind and road noise than there ought to be—it’s noisier than the already noisy CT6, and markedly noisier than the Genesis G90"

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/fi...2018-lexus-ls/
This will be a turn-of for a good portion of the LS loyal fan base if this is true and repeated in other reviews and personal test drives. The video reviews I watched actually scored cabin noise very favorably while driving. I wonder if those who are turned off by it will be replaced by a crowd that's never owned an LS (different demographic starts replacing traditional demographic). I'm 38 but have driven an LS since I was 25 because I want a silent driving experience. I came close to purchasing a Model S for this reason but couldn't get past logistics of needing to charge on long drives en route to a meeting and having it throw off the day and timing of meetings. I always buy used so my next LS will be somewhere in the '13-'17 lineup, but I wouldn't buy a 500 if it' introduces more engine and/or road noise than my current 460. I'd definitely go Tesla at that point.
Old 09-27-17, 08:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
This will be a turn-of for a good portion of the LS loyal fan base if this is true and repeated in other reviews and personal test drives. The video reviews I watched actually scored cabin noise very favorably while driving. I wonder if those who are turned off by it will be replaced by a crowd that's never owned an LS (different demographic starts replacing traditional demographic). I'm 38 but have driven an LS since I was 25 because I want a silent driving experience. I came close to purchasing a Model S for this reason but couldn't get past logistics of needing to charge on long drives en route to a meeting and having it throw off the day and timing of meetings. I always buy used so my next LS will be somewhere in the '13-'17 lineup, but I wouldn't buy a 500 if it' introduces more engine and/or road noise than my current 460. I'd definitely go Tesla at that point.
I dunno what the typical demographic of an LS driver is, but based on how cars often are on my a** for no reason (grandpa's car), it has to be easily 60+. I would think they'd be turned off by the looks alone, too aggressive. You might be nearing the age of the desired buyer. 6 piston/ 4 piston calipers are not for someone who wants a tame ride imho, overkill and could be a slap in the face for those who routinely do dealer service when the bill is printed...

p.s. I can't see how a 35 y.o. would have possibly been interested in the car in the pic, again, official Lexus marketing knows much better, but this says 35-55?

http://www.carscoops.com/2011/06/lex...er-buyers.html

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h