Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 06:57 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
As a buyer in this class I also completely disagree that $15,000 doesn’t matter. If it didn’t, I’d have an S Class right now.

If it truly doesn’t matter why do these carmakers have value entrants? Why is there a cheaper V6 S Class? Why would Genesis or Lexus even bother?
It's an interesting debate. On one side, I argue that there's a value decision that most of us make. For example, I can afford to buy a new luxury sedan (S class, LS500, 750) but I choose not to because I don't see the value in it- for me there is more value in buying used and shifting the remaining money I "saved" by buying used vs. new into investments and experiences (vacations, etc). What I'm reading from your post is you don't see $15k in extra value in the S class. You may also not see a $10k value (or whatever) in bumping up within the LS family to add certain features to the car. You look at the price in total or broken down into monthly payments and don't see it's worth it.

On the other side, there are buyers where $15k, $25k, even $50k is irrelevant. They want the highest end car and place no emphasis on the value. They just want the highest end car (whether they can truly afford it is another story). I saw this a lot in my prior life where I sold high end capital equipment to radiologists. Certain people have egos to where they refuse to buy anything other than the highest-end model possible. I'd see it in their car in the parking lot and also in every purchasing decision they made in their private practice. Even when it contradicted common/business sense, and often against my advice, they were often too proud to have anything other than top-of-the-line equipment. Most interesting is they were always the worst negotiators- their pride got in the way of the negotiation because they didn't want me to think they couldn't afford something. Very interesting to observe.

The manufacturer creates breadth in the product line to cover all of their bases to sell the most cars. It's smart business.
Old 09-29-17, 07:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
This will be a turn-of for a good portion of the LS loyal fan base if this is true and repeated in other reviews and personal test drives. The video reviews I watched actually scored cabin noise very favorably while driving. I wonder if those who are turned off by it will be replaced by a crowd that's never owned an LS (different demographic starts replacing traditional demographic). I'm 38 but have driven an LS since I was 25 because I want a silent driving experience. I came close to purchasing a Model S for this reason but couldn't get past logistics of needing to charge on long drives en route to a meeting and having it throw off the day and timing of meetings. I always buy used so my next LS will be somewhere in the '13-'17 lineup, but I wouldn't buy a 500 if it' introduces more engine and/or road noise than my current 460. I'd definitely go Tesla at that point.
Did a quick look up of the Alex on Autos reviews (I am not a fan of his style) however he does report DB readings which is better than just saying its quiet or its not.

According to him at 50MPH:

G90 68DB
LS500 68DB
G80 69DB
LS500h 69DB
Lacross 70DB
CT6 70DB
AvalonH 70DB

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-29-17 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 07:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Thats a great way of putting it, and you explain what I'm saying better than I did. Its not about dollars, its about value. While the S Class is a better car no doubt in my mind, and its a car I would rather have, I don't see that additional $20-25,000 in value (which is really what it is) over the LS. I'd pay $10,000 more.

The G90 is a similar situation relative to the LS. I think the LS is worth $10,000 more than the G90. So, a $70,000 G90 vs an $80,000 LS500, I would choose the LS.

Wealthy people care about value more than dollars. "Value" doesn't mean cheap, it means worth.

There certainly are people out there for whom money is irrelevant, but thats not the typical or target buyer for this car, or the S Class even.
Old 09-29-17, 08:04 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The G90 is a similar situation relative to the LS. I think the LS is worth $10,000 more than the G90. So, a $70,000 G90 vs an $80,000 LS500, I would choose the LS.
Which is what makes the $75k starting point so interesting, especially for a LWB car which has always commanded some sort of premium. Lexus is banking on an easy $5k value justification over the G90. It will be interesting to see how Hyundai/Genesis reacts.
Old 09-29-17, 08:20 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Did a quick look up of the Alex on Autos reviews (I am not a fan of his style) however he does report DB readings which is better than just saying its quiet or its not.

According to him at 50MPH:

G90 68DB
LS500 68DB
G80 69DB
LS500h 69DB
Lacross 70DB
CT6 70DB
AvalonH 70DB
Very interesting- thanks for taking the time to compile this. I'm sure there's a range of error in the reading because you wouldn't think the 500h would be higher than the 500.
Old 09-29-17, 08:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Sound pressure readings are nice as a reference but there is way more going on when it comes to perceived quietness.
Old 09-29-17, 11:18 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

For comparison, no two cars will ever be exactly identical in release date - here, we have a four year old S Class compared to an all new 5LS in 2018.
No two cars will ever have identical dimensions, weight, engine capacity, HP, nor 0-60 times, and nor will the price ever be identical either.
However, we can still compare two cars despite their differences, whether small or large.
It's just a matter of compensating for the differences.

Hence, if when we compare a 3 year old S Class which has recently had its midlife facelift, debut in 2014 with 25k units, then 2015 with 21k, then 2016 with 18k, and in 2017 is heading for an estimated 15k units - we would theoretically compensate and expect that in 2018, a brand new 5LS range to sell much better at least than a then 4 year old S Class range.
In 2018, if 5LS debuts will lower sales than S Class, then it is an easy fail for 5LS, considering the age of the S Class range, and its much higher prices.
Old 09-29-17, 11:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Sound pressure readings are nice as a reference but there is way more going on when it comes to perceived quietness.
Regardless. It beats the whole idea of "Its quiet" Alex on Autos at least has some documented evidence. I will say, I do not like his reviews or his style.

Very interesting- thanks for taking the time to compile this. I'm sure there's a range of error in the reading because you wouldn't think the 500h would be higher than the 500.
No problem, I have always been interested in the actual readings of how quiet a car is. Anyone can just saw a car is quiet, but to what reference level.

Interesting enough, he has a list compiled of the quietest cars. Buick Lacrosse 2105 measured 67db, while the GX460 is quietest Lexus at 67db
http://alexonautos.com/cabin-noise/
Old 09-29-17, 11:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Regardless. It beats the whole idea of "Its quiet" Alex on Autos at least has some documented evidence. I will say, I do not like his reviews or his style.

No problem, I have always been interested in the actual readings of how quiet a car is. Anyone can just saw a car is quiet, but to what reference level.

Interesting enough, he has a list compiled of the quietest cars. Buick Lacrosse 2105 measured 67db, while the GX460 is quietest Lexus at 67db
http://alexonautos.com/cabin-noise/
Quietness also has its drawbacks. It means you can hear every little imperfections inside the car. From the slightest creak and groan of the structure to the plastics rattling.
Old 09-29-17, 12:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Quietness also has its drawbacks. It means you can hear every little imperfections inside the car. From the slightest creak and groan of the structure to the plastics rattling.
I didn't see Alex on Autos complain about all the imperfections you mentioned.
Old 09-29-17, 07:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Are you serious? 25k is alot of money, even today and even for a vehicle in the 75k range, thats about 30% more expensive.
except we were discussing 15k and now 25k which is 17% of 75k, not 30%... just saying.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
You're totally correct, most people were insulted by an iPad costing $1,200, the only people who weren't, are likely kids.
most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. an ipad is as or more powerful than a lot of laptops these days. dell makes laptops that cost up to $5K and there are people who buy them, but should they be insulted?

It's rather naive to assume people who have wealth don't care about money, they do.
that's true. and sometimes wealthy people have completely irrational feelings about money... millions in assets and they still care about the cost of gasoline. i had a rich neighbor who needed some fencing fixed... the poor guy who came to give a quote said it would be $10/hr to work on it, and the neighbor said he would only let him do it if the guy would do it for $9. it really irritated me, his abuse, just because he could... he was someone i believe didn't grow up wealthy, but wanted everyone to know and exert his control on those less wealthy.

They care about it much more than those who have nothing.
that is also completely ridiculous. if you have nothing you will think of little else than getting the money to eat, have cover, etc. rich people may obsess on money just because but your statement is absurd not to mention insensitive.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-29-17 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-30-17, 11:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

When the 500h is running in an EV mode I'd agree, but the ICE is NA and a bit more perky in terms of noise than the 3.5L TTV6 which could be more muted because of the turbos.
Old 09-30-17, 11:24 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Many of the very wealthy don't care much for the trappings of wealth. Warren Buffett now drives a 2014 Cadillac XTS for which he traded a 2006 DTS. He has so much money that he doesn't need to impress anyone. Guessing what the very wealthy will do is impossible because they can be very diverse.
Steve
Old 09-30-17, 04:19 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Many of the very wealthy don't care much for the trappings of wealth. Warren Buffett now drives a 2014 Cadillac XTS for which he traded a 2006 DTS. He has so much money that he doesn't need to impress anyone. Guessing what the very wealthy will do is impossible because they can be very diverse.
Steve
If Warren Buffet despite his wealth wants to spend his last years driving an XTS, it's his call. But it doesn't represent all wealthy people.
Old 09-30-17, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Not necessarily. Active Noise Cancellation, which is used by several different manufacturers today, tends to block even the small irritating noises inside.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h