Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 08:14 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Because they have the LC and Lexus is one of the most penny pinching luxury auto makers in the industry.
Old 11-29-17, 08:14 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why would you not bet on it?
Out of curiosity, why would you think Lexus would ever do this? If I were a betting man, I'd certainly bet "not going to happen" and would place another side bet on "never". Why would they? Lexus has never made an LS coupe. They just launched the LC500 which starts around $93k and is a fairly large coupe already (especially compared to RC). Why in the world would Lexus/Toyota go through the hassle of designing an entirely new coupe when they already have a flagship coupe that is priced within 10% of where the LS500 is priced (therefore where an LS coupe would likely be priced)? Makes absolutely no sense to me. And, not that rumors come true, but I haven't read a single story indicating that Lexus was even considering this or one of those wacky prototypes that never comes to fruition.

Lexus is already in the high-end large coupe game. No room in the portfolio for another one; would be a bad business decision.
Old 11-29-17, 08:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The G90, though quite impressive (I think its hardware feels even more solid than the LS)
how do you judge that the g90 hardware "feels even more solid than the LS"?

simply does not, as of yet, sell in high enough numbers to be significant competition to the LS.
g90 did outsell ls460 last month (378 to 328). i'd bet it's having some impact

Originally Posted by SW15LS
People here don’t like change.
well most maybe, i love change.

It doesn’t help that Lexus releases the car to the press and then waits forever to release it to dealers.
that is so true.

I don’t see how anybody can say anything about this car is bland lol.
that's true! definitely not bland but the 'coke bottle' shape and big overhangs seems retro, not forward looking.

oh and ZERO chance of a v12 LS or a full electric.

I do think we will see a LS500 coupe in the next year or so.
i'd put the chance of that at a zero also. that's what the LC is for.
Old 11-29-17, 08:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Out of curiosity, why would you think Lexus would ever do this? If I were a betting man, I'd certainly bet "not going to happen" and would place another side bet on "never". Why would they? Lexus has never made an LS coupe. They just launched the LC500 which starts around $93k and is a fairly large coupe already (especially compared to RC). Why in the world would Lexus/Toyota go through the hassle of designing an entirely new coupe when they already have a flagship coupe that is priced within 10% of where the LS500 is priced (therefore where an LS coupe would likely be priced)? Makes absolutely no sense to me. And, not that rumors come true, but I haven't read a single story indicating that Lexus was even considering this or one of those wacky prototypes that never comes to fruition.

Lexus is already in the high-end large coupe game. No room in the portfolio for another one; would be a bad business decision.
My prediction is based on the idea that the new platform was designed to build and design multiple and different RWD models with far less cost. To build low volume LC and let's just say higher end LS V8 coupes or even a convertible is much easier than on the past. To jusge the LS line of cars on sales, you need to view all models off the platform to judge success.
Old 11-29-17, 09:07 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is exactly how it’s been for every release of every new model on CL I can remember lol. It was the same way for the current LS. Hell, 430 owners still hate on the 460 to this day.

People here don’t like change.
I have said this before, but about the Camry: Every generation of Camry seems to be the worst and ugliest, until it becomes that last-generation Camry, at which time it suddenly becomes the best, most beautiful car ever. Feel free to substitute any Toyota or Lexus car name for "Camry"; it will all work.
Old 11-29-17, 09:22 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chromedome
I disagree with Lexus missing the boat by making an expensive tech-laden LC500h when they should have gone with a PHEV. How many luxury sedan PHEVs are selling? The S500e, 740e and S90 T8 sell in miniscule amounts, and to me they look more like engineering exercises than actual products.

The 740e runs a turbo four with a big battery pack but the huge weight makes it a poor compromise - there's not much battery capacity for long range electric driving and the tiny engine has miserable efficiency from hauling all that weight. The S90 T8 has the same problem. Lexus probably saw all this and decided to go with an evolution of its LHD/TSD system for decent efficiency and more driver involvement.

I'll go as far as saying PHEVs are a dead end unless you have a big 50-100 mile battery pack. This is all pointless anyway because luxury EVs like the upcoming Porsche Mission E will take over from their dino-powered predecessors.
As an engineer I would not say that the European automakers' love of PHEVs is an engineering exercise; I would call it lowest-common denominator auto development, a very easy way to gain high fuel efficiency numbers. Once an automaker has a HEV (hybrid electric vehicle), it is not that difficult to make a PHEV -- just make the battery larger and add a plug. While they were at it, they swapped out the larger engine for a highly-stressed, forced-induction one (to game the Europeans' fuel economy measurement system), and voila, you have a "very fuel efficient", electrified car.

Adding batteries is easy but batteries are heavy. What happens when you throw that much extra weight in a car, not to mention adding that much extra weight out behind the rear axle?

I agree that building PHEVs is a dead end. As you start adding heavy batteries, the question that must be asked is: How much extra electric range could be added if the size of the ICE was reduced (change it so that the ICE only charges the battery but never drives the car) -- or eliminated -- so that the weight eliminated by removing the ICE were replaced by more batteries?
Old 11-29-17, 09:24 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

I do think we will see a LS500 coupe in the next year or so.
We already have a LS 500 coupe -- it is the LC 500.
Old 11-29-17, 09:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
We already have a LS 500 coupe -- it is the LC 500.
I disagree with you. The LC 500 is still too different and has a different purpose. If you look at the interior, that is different as well.
Old 11-29-17, 09:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

As an engineer I would not say that the European automakers' love of PHEVs is an engineering exercise; I would call it lowest-common denominator auto development, a very easy way to gain high fuel efficiency numbers. Once an automaker has a HEV (hybrid electric vehicle), it is not that difficult to make a PHEV -- just make the battery larger and add a plug. While they were at it, they swapped out the larger engine for a highly-stressed, forced-induction one (to game the Europeans' fuel economy measurement system), and voila, you have a "very fuel efficient", electrified car.

Adding batteries is easy but batteries are heavy. What happens when you throw that much extra weight in a car, not to mention adding that much extra weight out behind the rear axle?

I agree that building PHEVs is a dead end. As you start adding heavy batteries, the question that must be asked is: How much extra electric range could be added if the size of the ICE was reduced (change it so that the ICE only charges the battery but never drives the car) -- or eliminated -- so that the weight eliminated by removing the ICE were replaced by more batteries?
Toyota has plug in technology. They have it in their Prius plug in. Also, Toyota also has an electric car in the Murai, it just converts hydrogen to electricity versus storing it all on a battery.
Old 11-29-17, 09:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have said this before, but about the Camry: Every generation of Camry seems to be the worst and ugliest, until it becomes that last-generation Camry, at which time it suddenly becomes the best, most beautiful car ever. Feel free to substitute any Toyota or Lexus car name for "Camry"; it will all work.
I sort of agree, however there was a significant cost cutting exercise by Toyota in the late 90s and mid 00s.
Old 11-29-17, 10:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I sort of agree, however there was a significant cost cutting exercise by Toyota in the late 90s and mid 00s.
The latter could have been a car in the $70k+ range

https://www.1aauto.com/master-power-...waAjm1EALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.com/i/112424237832?chn=ps&dispctrl=1
Old 11-29-17, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how do you judge that the g90 hardware "feels even more solid than the LS"?
Well, let's see now......with my fingertips, nerve-endings, sensory-system, and brain. Although not perfect, generally reliable sources.
Old 11-29-17, 10:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

My prediction is based on the idea that the new platform was designed to build and design multiple and different RWD models with far less cost. To build low volume LC and let's just say higher end LS V8 coupes or even a convertible is much easier than on the past. To jusge the LS line of cars on sales, you need to view all models off the platform to judge success.
They don't need another large coupe. The LC is for all intents and purposes a LS coupe. What they need is a convertible and a high end large 3 row SUV (or new LX) to round out the staple of flagships with new powerful engines. Only then filter the tech down all the way down to the IS.
Old 11-29-17, 11:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
They don't need another large coupe. The LC is for all intents and purposes a LS coupe. What they need is a convertible and a high end large 3 row SUV (or new LX) to round out the staple of flagships with new powerful engines. Only then filter the tech down all the way down to the IS.
If Benz can make a SL and S class coexist. I think Lexus could as well.
Old 11-29-17, 11:03 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

If Benz can make a SL and S class coexist. I think Lexus could as well.
Do they have another large coupe other than the SL? Seriously don't know. Benz has a model for every sausage length.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h