Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-17 | 07:26 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

This has probably already been discussed, but what is the pricing looking like for this thing? My pops wants to get an S-class but doesn't want to put up with the maintenance nightmare it would be after warranty. I suggested the new LS to him.
Old 12-03-17 | 07:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
. There wasn’t much foot traffic around it unlike the LC500 (people were swarming to it even though its released already).
This is the impression I am getting, It does not seem to be getting the traction one would think. I will admit it looks like Lexus made a really big ES with the styling.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-03-17 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-03-17 | 08:33 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

The LC 500 is the halo vehicle to bring the casually curious or even potential buyers in, but if it manages to upstage the LS on the auto show circuit, I wonder if it won't do the same on the showroom floor. Looking at the LA Auto Show floor map, the Lexus display is right next door to MB. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Old 12-03-17 | 08:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
The LC 500 is the halo vehicle to bring the casually curious or even potential buyers in, but if it manages to upstage the LS on the auto show circuit, I wonder if it won't do the same on the showroom floor. Looking at the LA Auto Show floor map, the Lexus display is right next door to MB. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
I don't think it matters where the MB display is. For example, I have always thought Lexus looks (outside) and feels (interior) much better when you get to experience a German car side by side or back to back. Its not that either are superior, its just that Lexus offers something different and when you get to experience a Lexus right after a Mercedes you immediately notice it. Of course, it is also opposite as well for those who like MB or BMW.
Old 12-03-17 | 09:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
The LC 500 is the halo vehicle to bring the casually curious or even potential buyers in, but if it manages to upstage the LS on the auto show circuit, I wonder if it won't do the same on the showroom floor.
since Lexus previously sold the LFA which blew away anything else from Lexus, this is not a new situation. but each model should be able to stand on its own for its intended customer target. i don't know the intended target for the ls of course, but i suspect with Toyoda's directions they tried to make it less boring and more 'emotional' (evoke a response, even if controversial). it's a tricky thing to be sure because if the majority reaction is 'not my thing' then it won't do well, but if it's 'hey that's unique and different and special, i want one' then it's good. i'm not sure which way the market will go, but the proportions, overhangs, and overall exterior styling to me don't really work. the interior though, is exquisite (i can do without the elvis origami velour and cut glass door panel option though ).

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have always thought Lexus looks (outside) and feels (interior) much better when you get to experience a German car side by side or back to back. Its not that either are superior, its just that Lexus offers something different and when you get to experience a Lexus right after a Mercedes you immediately notice it. Of course, it is also opposite as well for those who like MB or BMW.
i agree with this... to me the german interiors feel and seem hard and cold while lexus interiors seem generally more elegant and warmer with beautiful soft leather. i remember going in my brother's new at the time z4 and thinking, cold and plasticky...
Old 12-03-17 | 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i agree with this... to me the german interiors feel and seem hard and cold while lexus interiors seem generally more elegant and warmer with beautiful soft leather. i remember going in my brother's new at the time z4 and thinking, cold and plasticky...
Glad we both agree. I am almost certain we are going hear someone say Lexus does not have the same level of door closing solidity as MB. And they shouldn't imo. Lexus has a softer door closing from what I have seen that is not that loud, still high quality. Once inside, the softness of the door trims where you pull the door and the 3/9 o'clock positions of the steering wheel have a nice soft spongy feel to it. The seat leather is usually just sublime.

The 5 series is closer to Lexus than ever before. Mercedes usually has firmer leather and a more trendy design.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-03-17 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-03-17 | 09:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Mercedes Designo exclusive Nappa leather is soft and supple like any top Lexus leather. They actually have different levels of leather to choose from.
Old 12-03-17 | 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Mercedes Designo exclusive Nappa leather is soft and supple like any top Lexus leather. They actually have different levels of leather to choose from.
For that matter, Lexus' own NuLuxe Leatherette, IMO, at least from what I've seen, is virtually as nice as the real stuff. The Mercedes Nappa leather may be nice (I'll take your word for it), but I generally didn't think much of their M-B-Tex fake stuff (especially on 60-70K vehicles)...it couldn't come anywhere close to the Lexus NuLuxe.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-17 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-03-17 | 10:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
The standard leather by MB is firmer. Nothing wrong with that. Almost 07 Tundra firm. The higher end Designo costs more. Lexus is soft across the board. I dont think you can get any firmer with Lexus. Neither is more right or wrong
Old 12-03-17 | 12:11 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

I looked on the Lexus website last night and really like a lot of the photos they're posting of the car (both exterior and interior). I think it's going to turn some heads once it arrives. The big question for me is the engine and how refined the car feels compared to prior generations.
Old 12-04-17 | 05:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
That's what I kept telling Steve, but he thinks 5LS looks great.
Steve being me? I don't think I've ever said it looks great. I like parts of its design, and don't like others as much and have said I need to see it in person. I have however said that your assessment of styling is not the bedrock standard as you often present it to be.

I agree with the characterization of Lexus interiors vs german interiors. Only exception there is the S Class , and BMW and Audi have gotten much better. The only Mercedes interior I "like" is the S Class.
Old 12-08-17 | 06:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/lat...icle-1.3681352

Most fair review I have read so far. Highlights some of the issues such as some cheap materials and sort of noisy.

But it does ride on a magic carpet. Should move the Lexus needle.
Old 12-08-17 | 08:42 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/lat...icle-1.3681352

Most fair review I have read so far. Highlights some of the issues such as some cheap materials and sort of noisy.

But it does ride on a magic carpet. Should move the Lexus needle.
Thanks for posting; good article. I am excited to see one in person- I really like the pics I'm seeing of the interior with the wood grain on the doors. I do agree it borrows some styling cues from certain Toyota models, but IMO that has always been the case (with the exception of the '90 to '00 design).
Old 12-08-17 | 09:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Good article. Some of the comments about materials are concerning, I can't believe they would use hard plastic for the glove box door, I would have to see that to believe it.

My guess about the road noise is tires, the 20" wheels and the run flat tires. I was worried about that when I saw the car came with run flats. If I were to get one, I would get the smallest attractive wheels and I would immediately replace the run flats. I'm encouraged about the "magic carpet ride" on the run flat 20s...

Looking forward to seeing it in person. Saw a stunning CPO 2015 S550 the other day, $69k with 31k miles, and they lease them with fairly attractive deals. Tempting.
Old 12-08-17 | 09:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Good article. Some of the comments about materials are concerning, I can't believe they would use hard plastic for the glove box door, I would have to see that to believe it.
Believe it. Most newer Lexus products are like that...as is the Lexus-like Toyota Avalon. In addition, the latches themselves, which hold the lids shut, tend to be somewhat flimsy.

My guess about the road noise is tires, the 20" wheels and the run flat tires. I was worried about that when I saw the car came with run flats. If I were to get one, I would get the smallest attractive wheels and I would immediately replace the run flats. I'm encouraged about the "magic carpet ride" on the run flat 20s...
Agreed. Buick can't give 20"-equipped Lacrosses away....I don't see why the LS would be much different. Most buyers of this type of vehicle simply don't want a sports-sedan.....handling is not a very high priority.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h