Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-17, 06:42 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motor Trend's review of the LS 500. They like the ride and drive but have quibbles with some of the car's tech: infotainment and HVAC menus, and that 24 inch HUD. They're also disappointed with rear seat legroom particularly for anyone sitting behind the driver. And the reviewers are not overly impressed with the car's styling but don't seem to find it too objectionable either. They got a 0-60 time of 5.3 on their car vs Lexus' claimed time of 4.6.

The heftiest arrow in its quiver is its unapologetic design. The Lexus “Spindle Grille” and its accompanying flourishes have been extremely polarizing, but there’s no denying sales have risen since the design language was introduced. This latest iteration is one of the best, we think, though perhaps we’re just getting used to it at this point. It’s not as good as the LC coupe it shares a platform with, but it’s less bad than the rest of the lineup.The polarizing design carries over to the interior, as well. Once as conservative as the exterior, the LS’ new seating gallery is unmistakably Lexus. The door panels, in particular, caught our eye with their visually stimulating curves, layers, and use of materials. Likewise, we found the stitched leather surrounding the individual gauges a fresh and appealing touch and the semihidden vents integrated into the horizontal trim a neat execution. We were far less enamored with the hotel hallway art on the passenger’s side of the dash and the two handle bars hanging off the instrument binnacle.

Those *****, controlling driving mode and stability control, are a good jumping off point for a discussion of the electronics package. On the whole, it’s a suite of good ideas with questionable execution.

Our greatest ire rests, as always, with the infotainment system and its track-pad controller. Although we appreciate the large screen, it’s only become more layered with menus and harder to navigate. At the same time, ever more functions have been buried there for you to find. As but one example, the seat heating and cooling controls are now beneath two menus. Turning either on starts with pushing the button with the picture of a seat or swiping several times over to the seat controls menu and clicking the pad. Once the seat menu is up, you must swipe down several times to get to the heating and cooling controls and click on them. Then you can swipe over to the controls for the seat you want and swipe up or down several times to get the level of heating or cooling you want. This is madness. Lexus would prefer you simply set your preferences in the system to have the heater or cooler come on when you start the car at given external temperatures, assuming you want the exact same experience every time you get in the car.

What’s truly infuriating about the infotainment system, though, is that Lexus knows better. We know this because our test car was equipped with the Luxury Package, which includes power reclining executive rear seats controlled by a touchscreen integrated into the center armrest. This screen is as intuitively laid out and easy to use—the main screen up front isn’t. Why, Lexus?

Other examples of questionable technological implementation abound. The enormous head-up display (HUD) is a great party trick, but why is your speed, the most useful piece of information, shoved way off to the side while the lane keeping system gets center billing? Why does it stay over there out of your direct line of sight even when lane keeping is turned off? The HUD also displays a frontal cross traffic alert so you don’t pull out in front of a car crossing your path. It’s a nice idea if you’re pulling out of an alley, but when you’re sitting at a stoplight and it’s going off constantly and taking over the entire HUD with flashing yellow arrows, the only information you want is how to turn it off. Finally, we must ask why the dash beeps at you when the car is in reverse. This isn’t a commercial vehicle.

It’s certainly not all bad, though. We found the adaptive cruise control and lane keeping systems to work well and ease long drives. The rear seat control screen is, as noted, very well executed. Those seats themselves are very comfortable and offer a very serene chauffeur experience. The front passenger’s seat folds up and moves all the way against the dash to give the passenger behind an enormous amount of space to stretch out, and it doesn’t block the passenger door mirror in the process.

The new powertrain similarly outperforms on a test track, needing 5.3 seconds to reach 60 mph from a stop, down from 5.6 seconds for the V-8. Stopping from that speed has likewise been reduced from 119 feet to 109-113 in the three cars we tested. Although drag racing is hardly a luxury sedan’s MO, those curious will be happy to learn the LS’ quarter-mile time has dropped from 14.1 seconds to 13.7, and trap speed has increased from 101.5 mph to 103.0. Some of this is attributable to our test car being equipped with all-wheel drive and the last V-8 LS 460 we tested utilizing rear-wheel drive, namely the initial launch, but not all. When we tested a rear-drive 2018 LS 500, that car completed the quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds at 102.8 mph.

Improvements to the handling are also more than subjective—the new LS out-grips the old car, too. Skidpad grip has increased from 0.82 average g to 0.85-0.86 among the three LS cars we tested, and figure-eight performance has improved from 27.2 seconds at 0.68 average g to 25.7 seconds at 0.73 average g (the rear-drive model was good for a 26.3-second time at 0.71 average g). The all-wheel drive helps some, but it’s prone to understeer at the limit and must be managed for a quick lap.

At the end, we return the new LS encouraged by its big leap forward in luxury and equally frustrated by its shortcomings. The car is a huge step forward from its conservative, long in the tooth predecessor. It’s properly equipped to take on the world’s best luxury sedans. At the same time, though, it’s let down by technology that’s more stressful than helpful and a comparative dearth of space. We like the new LS almost as much as we like what it has the potential to be, and we hope this time there will be continual improvement to get it there.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...t-test-review/
Old 12-14-17, 08:04 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

What a surprise that its slow with a weak V6TT!

0-60 in 5.3 sec is pretty bad compared to Sclass, A8, and 7series but it is on par with Genesis G90 and Acura RLX.
Design is the other deal breaker along with high price and less interior space.

Lexus better have some crazy lease deals in the works or this thing will be collecting dust along with new LC.
BMW can't give away the new 7s, they are leasing at around $1,100 for 750i.
Old 12-14-17, 08:06 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

European reviews have not been kind to the hybrid.
Old 12-14-17, 08:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The 0-60mph time quoted by Lexus of 4.6 seconds is for RWD. I haven't seen any Lexus numbers for AWD yet unless I missed them. The Motor Trend test car was AWD. I was hoping it would be more fleet.
Old 12-14-17, 08:19 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Pretty lukewarm review but I was not expecting much seeing pics and videos of it. Sounds like another needlessly annoying and frustrating to use setup with mot functions buried into screens in this current terrible quest to eliminate all or as many possible buttons and switches from modern car interiors. I think they are going to have to offer some really good deals on this car to get them moving.
Old 12-14-17, 08:36 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The 0-60mph time quoted by Lexus of 4.6 seconds is for RWD. I haven't seen any Lexus numbers for AWD yet unless I missed them. The Motor Trend test car was AWD. I was hoping it would be more fleet.
Well, the RWD model was 0.1 second slower in the quarter mile. Due to the lower traction, I would have to guess the 0.1 second was lost during the launch (i.e., the 0 to 60 would be slower). I think Lexus needs to stop being so optimistic with their acceleration claims. They also claimed "less than 4.5 seconds" for the LC 500, but I typically see numbers around 4.7 or so (MT managed a 4.8).
Old 12-14-17, 08:47 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I thought the 500 was the same length as the 460L's? So shouldn't rear legroom be cavernous?
Old 12-14-17, 10:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

ls500 3" longer than ls460l and wheelbase is 1" longer.

since the wheelbase is only 1" longer the difference in rear legroom shouldn't be much if anything between the two but maybe the engine sits further back pushing the front seat area back and thus reducing rear leg room?
Old 12-14-17, 11:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
What a surprise that its slow with a weak V6TT!

0-60 in 5.3 sec is pretty bad compared to Sclass, A8, and 7series but it is on par with Genesis G90 and Acura RLX.
Design is the other deal breaker along with high price and less interior space.

Lexus better have some crazy lease deals in the works or this thing will be collecting dust along with new LC.
BMW can't give away the new 7s, they are leasing at around $1,100 for 750i.
So much for understating the performance, I remember my Nissan was the same thing, brochure said 6.7, Motor Trend tested and it was like 7.3.

Funny how it's the opposite with BMW....brochure says 5.3, and Motor Trend gets 4.8....

Personally I'd rather have things understated....I would tend to agree rather than growing on at least me, the styling is moving the other way....something just is not right from the rear door's window and back...
Old 12-14-17, 11:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe the engine sits further back pushing the front seat area back and thus reducing rear leg room?
The engine def sits further back, I am actually having deja vu as I swear there was huge argument on here about where the engine sits.
Old 12-14-17, 12:18 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

"What’s truly infuriating about the infotainment system, though, is that Lexus knows better. We know this because our test car was equipped with the Luxury Package, which includes power reclining executive rear seats controlled by a touchscreen integrated into the center armrest. This screen is as intuitively laid out and easy to use—the main screen up front isn’t. Why, Lexus?"

I feel like this is derived from some kind of heated, yet secretive agenda difference between two senior members in the design department, irreconcilably sad.

"I think the menu needs layers for that luxury look"

"Or we can just go with the one-stop interface for controls, simple is more"

And then LS500's infotainment is born.
Old 12-14-17, 01:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The engine def sits further back, I am actually having deja vu as I swear there was huge argument on here about where the engine sits.
Yes, I too remember something unique about the way the engine sits with this car...
Old 12-14-17, 04:58 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, Toyota/Lexus tend to greatly overstate their performance. I really have no idea why. It's way better to understate then overstate to the extent that they do.

And I honestly believe Toyota and Lexus just don't know how to make decent engines anymore. Well, engines from a performance perspective. There are reports of a 4.0 L V8TT with 600+ HP. Well, assuming that's even true, heck, that will be slow too. And the reason why I say that is forget real performance (which is bad enough), but even the engine HP and Torque numbers are misleading. Every Toyota or Lexus engine that is either geared towards performance or just has big HP numbers performs poorly. Those numbers do not translate to anything. They all greatly under perform for whatever reason.

I said this new LS will be slow and everyone laughed....

Those numbers, for a car with that much reported HP and Torque, is bad in my opinion. Especially when the competition in 320 HP 6 Cylinder engines can outpace that. That's just insane and speaks volumes about Toyota's engine development capability or lack thereof. 415 HP and 440 lb-ft of torque. Really?

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
So much for understating the performance, I remember my Nissan was the same thing, brochure said 6.7, Motor Trend tested and it was like 7.3.

Funny how it's the opposite with BMW....brochure says 5.3, and Motor Trend gets 4.8....

Personally I'd rather have things understated....I would tend to agree rather than growing on at least me, the styling is moving the other way....something just is not right from the rear door's window and back...
Old 12-14-17, 05:32 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Geez, if Akio is stuffing around with the 5LS, and the all new Camry kerb weight is heavier than ever, I just wonder what he is doing to TMC's new electric division?
I might have to switch back to Mercedes?
Old 12-14-17, 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Yeah, Toyota/Lexus tend to greatly overstate their performance. I really have no idea why. It's way better to understate then overstate to the extent that they do.

?
Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I do agree with both of what you are saying, it would be better to understate than overstate. However, Toyota and Lexus do not overstate their performance times, there is a disclaimer for Lexus performance times that clearly states "Professional equipment, professional driver and 91 or higher octane" was used for the performance numbers. I believe the ES350 and RX350 do not have such disclaimers.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h