Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-17, 07:56 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
They went “sporty” without being fast.

Look at the S class, 7 and A8...all are blazing fast and drive around like a tomb.

In fact, with adjustable suspension and drive modes these days, you can have it fast and sporty one minute and tomb-quiet, floaty and refined the next, or any mix thereof.

You don’t need to sacrifice one for the other anymore and Lexus doesn’t get it or is incapable of doing it. This engine really disappoints in my opinion.
And it’s amzing the Stinger offers roughly the same performance as a V8 LC...
Old 12-18-17, 08:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Sounds more and more like the G90 is the car for me...
while i'm unlikely to get a sedan, the g90 is very appealing even not taking into account it being a stellar value.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-18-17 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-18-17, 08:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Im interested n why you don’t consider it a stellar value? IMHO it’s actually cheap. As in, so cheap I would just buy all the options because why not?
Old 12-18-17, 09:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Im interested n why you don’t consider it a stellar value? IMHO it’s actually cheap. As in, so cheap I would just buy all the options because why not?
I think he is saying it is still appealing even if it was priced higher and not such a good value.
Old 12-18-17, 09:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Yeah sorry i wasn't clear, i edited my post.
Old 12-18-17, 09:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Bland interior, middle of the pack performance, insurance car commercial styling, it has it all.

$72k well spent.
I think the LS, 7 series, and new A8 have blander interiors, can't stand that touchscreen crap and getting rid of most buttons. The new A8 looks really dull and seems like a nightmare to use while driving. G90 performance is still pretty good, NA V8 would be nice in my opinion, most flagships don't have daring styling, new LS looks like a stretched Nissan to me but I have not seen one in person yet so maybe that will change, I don't like it from the pics.
Old 12-18-17, 10:52 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I think the LS, 7 series, and new A8 have blander interiors, can't stand that touchscreen crap and getting rid of most buttons. The new A8 looks really dull and seems like a nightmare to use while driving. G90 performance is still pretty good, NA V8 would be nice in my opinion, most flagships don't have daring styling, new LS looks like a stretched Nissan to me but I have not seen one in person yet so maybe that will change, I don't like it from the pics.
Are you crazy?

LS interior:
Lexus LS500/LS500h-wtb6yqc.jpg

G90 interior:

LS is blander?

7er is blander?

A8 is blander?

At least try to hide the shilling.

The G90 looks ancient inside and out compared to these, because it's just a copy of their previous gen versions.

It also looks a league below. Value is getting the same quality and design for less. Getting a ****tier cheaper version for less isn't really value, it's just a ****tier cheaper version for less.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 12-19-17 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-19-17, 01:39 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The 7 interior has the typical Teutonic elegance which some might think is bland. The LS interior looks half Rolls, half concept car - a Japanese take on cutting edge luxury. The G90 interior looks like someone fired a shotgun full of ancient design ideas on to a blank canvas. Chunky wood slabs, mismatched angular lines, chrome bits everywhere, a climate control and audio stack from the 1980s...

Edit: that pic looks like the old Genesis interior. The 2017 G90 looks a lot more classy. Apologies, it actually looks pretty good, almost like the previous gen LS interior.

Last edited by chromedome; 12-19-17 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-19-17, 04:31 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Sad that a Brand new LS is being compared to 2nd tier luxury cars and a 7series with a 4cyl engine - why the hell did BMW even make this thing for US market.

Basically the G90 offer 95% of LS500 performance plus more room and better ride - all for $30k less. That is huge difference in cost.

I guess they cant even put the LS500 vs S560, 750i and new A8 bec of the lack of V8.
Hopefully they will compare it to the 6cyl versions.
You act as if every comparison will refuse to pit the LS with the S class.

If you read the article, you'd see the explanation for the selection.
Old 12-19-17, 04:43 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Yeah, Toyota/Lexus tend to greatly overstate their performance. I really have no idea why. It's way better to understate then overstate to the extent that they do.

And I honestly believe Toyota and Lexus just don't know how to make decent engines anymore. Well, engines from a performance perspective. There are reports of a 4.0 L V8TT with 600+ HP. Well, assuming that's even true, heck, that will be slow too. And the reason why I say that is forget real performance (which is bad enough), but even the engine HP and Torque numbers are misleading. Every Toyota or Lexus engine that is either geared towards performance or just has big HP numbers performs poorly. Those numbers do not translate to anything. They all greatly under perform for whatever reason.

I said this new LS will be slow and everyone laughed....

Those numbers, for a car with that much reported HP and Torque, is bad in my opinion. Especially when the competition in 320 HP 6 Cylinder engines can outpace that. That's just insane and speaks volumes about Toyota's engine development capability or lack thereof. 415 HP and 440 lb-ft of torque. Really?

Face the reality, Lexus chose to build this LS the way they saw fit, what made the most sense for their new direction. They made a conscious decision to sacrifice a certain customer in order to gain a different buyer and thats ok, don't take it personally, its just business.

We all know Toyota/Lexus knows how to build good engines whether they are geared towards performance, reliability, efficiency or a combination. You really think the LS not meeting your acceleration expectations is a lack of understanding how to engineer an engine? Do you have any understanding of these automotive conglomerates what they are capable of?
Old 12-19-17, 05:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I haven’t driven the LS500 yet, and obviously I will and give it a chance before I make a decision, but the descriptions of the ride and feel compared specifically to the 7 series and G90, cars I have driven are not confidence inspiring. I would be very happy with the ride and feel of both the 7 and the G90, which is very similar to my current and previous LS sedans. If what they are saying is true, that the new LS is “orders of magnitude sportier” and “cannot ride more differently than the G90” it’s just not going to be a car for me, plain and simple.

Make fun of the G90 all you want lol, I drove the Lexus LS in the 90s, people made fun of it all the time and I had to explain what it was all the time. I’d rather not go back to having to do that again, I’d rather stay with Lexus, but I’m not going to drive a car I don’t like to drive in order to do that.

Thankfully unlike in the 90s there are other options.
Old 12-19-17, 05:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Are you crazy?

LS interior:

G90 interior:

The G90 looks ancient inside and out compared to these, because it's just a copy of their previous gen versions.

It also looks a league below. Value is getting the same quality and design for less. Getting a ****tier cheaper version for less isn't really value, it's just a ****tier cheaper version for less.
I do agree, it looks a little out of date. Hard to believe MT is comparing the new LS to the Genesis car.
Old 12-19-17, 05:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I do agree, it looks a little out of date. Hard to believe MT is comparing the new LS to the Genesis car.
That picture is the G80, not the G90.

And comparing it to the LS makes perfect sense.
Old 12-19-17, 08:20 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a G90.

Old 12-19-17, 08:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Here's a G90.

Nice interior. But doesn't really stir any emotion.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h