Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 08:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nice interior. But doesn't really stir any emotion.
I don't disagree, but I really don't care if it does stir any emotion. I wouldn't say the interior of any car I've ever owned has stirred any emotions in me. If I cared about that I would buy a different type of car.
Old 12-19-17, 09:04 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice interior. But doesn't really stir any emotion.
I'm not sure what emotion you expect it to stir. When you sit in the G90 you are immediately comfortable. Controls (with 1 exception) are logically located, there is plenty of room, and everything you see or touch is high quality. The interior may not be cutting edge, but it is luxurious and functional. For me at least, this is what I want from a luxury car. In a sportier car, a cutting edge exciting interior would fit but not for the G90.
Old 12-19-17, 09:07 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That picture is the G80, not the G90.

And comparing it to the LS makes perfect sense.
Picture fixed and point stands, you cannot objectively argue that the G90 has a less bland interior than the others. It is basically an amalgamation of the others but with less flair and finesse.
Old 12-19-17, 09:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

These sterile interior shots don't really convey the feeling/ambiance of any interior. They are good to show the styling and layout, but it ends there. If one is really interested in a particular car you have to sit in it.
Old 12-19-17, 09:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,356 Likes on 1,543 Posts

Yeah the g80 needs a refresh inside, but the g90 is gorgeous inside. the ls is pretty stunning but with the quilting and glass option like in that photo it's a bit too 'elvis bling' for me

but to say the g90 isn't worthy of consideration is just, well an opinion.
Old 12-19-17, 10:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I would not call the G90 interior appealing at all, and its nose is coma inducing like the A8
Old 12-19-17, 10:23 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
You act as if every comparison will refuse to pit the LS with the S class.

If you read the article, you'd see the explanation for the selection.
At best it will only be compared to V6 Sclass.
MB also offers S560, S63amg, S600Maybach etc.

Point is the Sclass is in a different league altogether at this point.
Old 12-19-17, 10:29 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Interior looks great to me....

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/genes...trac-dashboard

Old 12-19-17, 10:31 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Motor Trend review was stupid. Anybody with an objective bone in their body knows that the Bimmer and Lexus should've taken spots 1 and 2, with the G90 taking 3rd by virtue of still coming up short in some luxury and infotainment areas, and having an overall uninspired design inside and out.
Old 12-19-17, 10:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,356 Likes on 1,543 Posts

ok brownpride we'll look to you going forward for objectivity.
Old 12-19-17, 11:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I would not call the G90 interior appealing at all, and its nose is coma inducing like the A8
The G900 likes its 10 years old.l and dated

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I'm not sure what emotion you expect it to stir. When you sit in the G90 you are immediately comfortable. Controls (with 1 exception) are logically located, there is plenty of room, and everything you see or touch is high quality. The interior may not be cutting edge, but it is luxurious and functional. For me at least, this is what I want from a luxury car. In a sportier car, a cutting edge exciting interior would fit but not for the G90.
stire enough emotion that you would pay LS pricing for it.
Old 12-19-17, 11:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't disagree, but I really don't care if it does stir any emotion. I wouldn't say the interior of any car I've ever owned has stirred any emotions in me. If I cared about that I would buy a different type of car.
Reading some of your posts and responses in many different threads, you seem to be pretty emotional about any comment regarding your current or past cars. Nothing wrong with that, but it's pretty difficult to have any sort of a simple discussion.
Old 12-19-17, 11:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,702 Likes on 1,884 Posts

The G900 likes its 10 years old.l and dated
It's funny, I don't think the G90 interior looks dated. It looks like a current-generation luxury sedan interior to me. I do think fancier gauges are in order, however.

By comparison, the G80 looks like it's a bit old, but it's certainly a nice place to be - calling it dated might be somewhat of a nitpick when everything is intuitive to use and high-quality. Even so, I don't disagree that the design could be freshened up. I prefer the G80 Sport interior in some ways - namely the carbon trim and copper stitching, which are somewhat unique in the segment.

Back to the LS though, it definitely has a more interesting interior that anything else in its segment, thanks to the crazy door trims available and unique flowing dashboard design.
Old 12-19-17, 11:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
It's funny, I don't think the G90 interior looks dated. It looks like a current-generation luxury sedan interior to me. I do think fancier gauges are in order, however.

By comparison, the G80 looks like it's a bit old, but it's certainly a nice place to be - calling it dated might be somewhat of a nitpick when everything is intuitive to use and high-quality. Even so, I don't disagree that the design could be freshened up. I prefer the G80 Sport interior in some ways - namely the carbon trim and copper stitching, which are somewhat unique in the segment.

Back to the LS though, it definitely has a more interesting interior that anything else in its segment, thanks to the crazy door trims available and unique flowing dashboard design.
It is dated when you factor in the price. Would you pay $30K more for to? I agree it's a nice place to be. I sat in at the Auto Show and Hyundai actually Game me a free invite. It's nice. But does it make you feel special? MT says that about the LS interior.
Old 12-19-17, 02:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

It is dated when you factor in the price. Would you pay $30K more for to? I agree it's a nice place to be. I sat in at the Auto Show and Hyundai actually Game me a free invite. It's nice. But does it make you feel special? MT says that about the LS interior.
The way I look at it is this, would I pay LS money for the G90? No. Would I pay S Class money for the LS? No. The 7 and A8 fall in there for me somewhere in between the LS and S Class. Its just varying degrees. I 100% agree that the interior of the LS500 looks more interesting, and more "special" than that of the G90. However, I really want the car to ride and drive the way I want a car to ride and drive. I spent a lot of time in cars that didn't really feel the way I wanted them to feel on the road, but that I otherwise really liked. The GS is a great example of that.

And the pricing supports my position. The G90 is a great deal at $72k loaded AWD for the V6 car, optioned like a ~ $95,000 LS500. A $95,000 LS500 is optioned like a ~ $120,000 S Class. The manufacturers clearly understand the value proposition of their offerings here.

Does my LS460 make me feel "special" when I sit in it? Not really, as I've said before many of the materials inside let me down. However, it does make me feel special when I drive it because its so quiet and it rides so smooth and nicely. I'm not going to be happy in an LS500 if it doesn't ride and drive the way I want it to, no matter how nice the interior is.

I likely would not go to the G90 over the LS500 simply because of cost. However, if its a much softer and better riding car and is less "sporty" the way the reviews make it out to be, then I very well may and accept the lower cost as a bonus. Or I just go for it and get an A8, 7 or S Class.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h