Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 01:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Genesis might make a great product but 9/10 if I give someone the choice between a Genesis sedan vs an equivalent model from an established brand like Benz, BMW, Jag, Lexus, Audi etc.. folks will pick the latter(s). The power of a badge is immense.
Explain tesla then. S has eaten into lux sedan sales.Also, if i were in the market for a large luxury sedan it would be a g90 so i guess i'm the 1/10 Oh and g90 outsold ls last month.
Old 12-22-17, 03:05 AM
bjjones
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Explain tesla then. S has eaten into lux sedan sales.

Simple. The Tesla S is a unique, one of kind vehicle that has carved a special niche among all the other large luxury cars in it's class.

Oh and g90 outsold ls last month.
I wouldn't gloat too much over the G90's bleak sales numbers ,especially considering that the G90 is an all new vehicle competing essentially against a 5 year old LS model & outside a few ancient models (Jaguar XJ & Audi A8) isn't outselling the other competitors in the segment.

Sales Numbers:

Lexus LS 460 (Nov 2017) - 358
Genesis G90 (Nov 2017) - 368

Lexus LS 460 (Total YTD) - 3788
Genesis G90 (Total YTD) - 3992

Large Luxury Sedan Segment YTD Sales Numbers:

Tesla S - 20,400
MB S Class - 13,704
Lincoln Continental - 10,796
Cadillac CT6 - 9701
BMW 7 Series - 8169
Porsche Panamera - 6276
Infiniti Q70 - 5366
Genesis G90 - 3992
Lexus LS460 - 3788
Audi Audi
A8 - 2861
Jaguar XJ - 2458
Old 12-22-17, 07:50 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

When the dinosaur in the room aka q70 is outselling your new entry.......I dont know

Are they also including fleet sales, cause damn the Conti....
Old 12-22-17, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Explain tesla then. S has eaten into lux sedan sales.Also, if i were in the market for a large luxury sedan it would be a g90 so i guess i'm the 1/10 Oh and g90 outsold ls last month.
Tesla S is a niche, and I don't consider them luxury whatsoever. It's a premium car but that's about it. If you don't believe me, go sit inside one and touch the materials. For $130,000 you're paying for Insane Ludicrous Plaid Mode. The G90 is far more similar to the marques I mentioned in my post, than the Tesla. Your choice btw is based on if it were your money. Reread my post:

Genesis might make a great product but 9/10 if I give someone the choice between a Genesis sedan vs an equivalent model from an established brand like Benz, BMW, Jag, Lexus, Audi etc.. folks will pick the latter(s). The power of a badge is immense.
So if money is no object, I'm inclined to believe the overwhelming majority will pick someone more established.

G90 outsold the OLD LS?!? say it isn't so you're better than that Bit
Old 12-22-17, 10:48 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok brownpride we'll look to you going forward for objectivity.
I'm genuinely curious how anybody could think the G90 is a superior vehicle compared to the 7er or LS. It only won this comparison due to its value proposition.

I'll let the market do the talking, LS sales will easily outdo the far cheaper G90 once the upcoming bodystyle hits dealers next year.
Old 12-22-17, 11:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Tesla S is a niche, and I don't consider them luxury whatsoever. It's a premium car but that's about it. If you don't believe me, go sit inside one and touch the materials. For $130,000 you're paying for Insane Ludicrous Plaid Mode. The G90 is far more similar to the marques I mentioned in my post, than the Tesla. Your choice btw is based on if it were your money. Reread my post:

So if money is no object, I'm inclined to believe the overwhelming majority will pick someone more established.

G90 outsold the OLD LS?!? say it isn't so you're better than that Bit
I think you are wrong. The Telsa is a status symbol for people who have wealth. Very few can afford it. A Genesis on the other hand is much more attainable.
Old 12-22-17, 11:22 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think you are wrong. The Telsa is a status symbol for people who have wealth. Very few can afford it. A Genesis on the other hand is much more attainable.
Actually, the base Tesla Model S (75D) is cheaper than the G90. List is $74,500 and there is a $7500 federal tax rebate in the US. When you load it up with the big battery and performance stuff it gets expensive. It is true that it lacks many of the usual luxury features, but it has many unique features of its own. If I lived in the LA area, I would be driving a Tesla S.
Old 12-22-17, 12:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Ooh what's new

No it's still a niche because it's an EV. While numbers grow every year, they still pale in comparison to ICE vehicles sold.

We're getting off topic though. It was a stretch with my original G90 comment, but now you and Bit are talking Tesla, when this is supposed to be about a new LS sedan that's not even out yet.
Old 12-22-17, 01:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Actually, the base Tesla Model S (75D) is cheaper than the G90. List is $74,500 and there is a $7500 federal tax rebate in the US. When you load it up with the big battery and performance stuff it gets expensive. It is true that it lacks many of the usual luxury features, but it has many unique features of its own. If I lived in the LA area, I would be driving a Tesla S.
What does a semi or loaded Model S command? Compared to a G90

Ooh what's new

No it's still a niche because it's an EV. While numbers grow every year, they still pale in comparison to ICE vehicles sold.

We're getting off topic though. It was a stretch with my original G90 comment, but now you and Bit are talking Tesla, when this is supposed to be about a new LS sedan that's not even out yet.
Don't think I said it was not a niche vehicle. And it's very relevant to the LS discussion IMO, for the price point it is right in their with S class to LS including everyone else. LS competes in every way for the high end dollar against at Tesla S.
Old 12-22-17, 01:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I'm genuinely curious how anybody could think the G90 is a superior vehicle compared to the 7er or LS. It only won this comparison due to its value proposition.

I'll let the market do the talking, LS sales will easily outdo the far cheaper G90 once the upcoming bodystyle hits dealers next year.
Have you driven the car? Its not just that its cheaper. That particular 7 in the article had the dakota leather, which makes the interior feel quite cheap and dour. The nappa leather is a must have for the 7 series. I actually like the 7 Series, but in general reviews of it are pretty harsh.

As an owner of an LS460, I would say that setting price aside the G90 is a better car, interior is the big reason why. When you bring price into it, it only magnifies that. Hard to say compared to the new LS because I haven't driven it or seen it in person, but based on reviews it looks like it likely won't be the sort of ride I'm looking for.
Old 12-23-17, 03:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Tesla S is a niche, and I don't consider them luxury whatsoever. It's a premium car but that's about it. If you don't believe me, go sit inside one and touch the materials.
Agree 1000000%. I spent time with one at a dealer. My leather-lined 1997 Maxima had better interior materials than the Tesla does, literally. (To be fair that gen Maxima had a very high quality interior.)

I personally don't see the appeal, why on earth anyone would buy one of these over an S-Class is beyond me.
Old 12-23-17, 03:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123

I personally don't see the appeal, why on earth anyone would buy one of these over an S-Class is beyond me.
It's a status symbol for the wealthy. I actually do like the materials and design of the interior
Old 12-23-17, 03:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

It's a status symbol for the wealthy. I actually do like the materials and design of the interior
Yes I know, I lived in Los Angeles these were absolutely everywhere. The screen and stuff, graphics are cool but the switches and trim, padding etc., were very disappointing.

It is a status symbol, but like an S550 isn't? Lol. A 5-series has more status than one of these in my eyes.
Old 12-23-17, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride

As Steve has noted, have you actually looked at or driven the two cars? I'm not an owner, but I have. True, we can't compare the G90 directly to the new LS, since the new LS isn't on the market yet. But, it compares very favorably to the old LS, except maybe for the outstanding Lexus Mark Levinson stereo, which, IMO, is probably unequaled. And, it does so at a significantly lower price, with a much longer warranty.

And, just a tip......you can't always judge a vehicle by its sales-numbers. Case in point.....the Mazda6 is almost universally loved by the auto press, yet its sales continually trail those of the Accord and Camry by a steep margin.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-23-17 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 04:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yes I know, I lived in Los Angeles these were absolutely everywhere. The screen and stuff, graphics are cool but the switches and trim, padding etc., were very disappointing.

It is a status symbol, but like an S550 isn't? Lol. A 5-series has more status than one of these in my eyes.
Sure. A S550 is a status symbol as well. In Toronto, Tesla model S vehicles are quite prevalent. There are two outlets to buy them. When I see them when I drive but someone's home, they often a number of high end cars in the driveway that are over $100k each.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h