Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-17, 02:37 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bjjones
In some respects, the LS 500 could be considered as a Japanese Panamera, particularly with it's sleek all new radically designed exterior. However, the missing ingredient is a optional/standard V8 engine which is why Lexus should have offered both the TT V6 & V8 (from the LC500) as the V8 would have allowed Lexus to move the LS slightly upmarket along with possibly adding some different features, trim levels or options unique to the V8 model.
Except it’s not. That’s what I don’t get. They copied the look (or tried to) without any of the attributes that actually makes the panamera so unique and great.

You can feel that conservative company, keeping that foot in the shallow end. They should have just dove off the deep end and went all in.
Old 12-24-17, 02:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Except it’s not. That’s what I don’t get. They copied the look (or tried to) without any of the attributes that actually makes the panamera so unique and great.

You can feel that conservative company, keeping that foot in the shallow end. They should have just dove off the deep end and went all in.
I think they have a taken a good chance with this new LS. It's not the same as the last one or the ones before it. They has gone away from their formula of playing it safe. I will wait till I see in person, I have a feeling I am going to like it when I see it blending in with the stuff out there
Old 12-24-17, 03:02 PM
bjjones
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler

And from a styling perspective, I'm glad it's not as the LS 500 is futuristic & elegant while the Panamera looks like an elongated, bulbous frog.
Old 12-24-17, 03:04 PM
bjjones
Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think they have a taken a good chance with this new LS. It's not the same as the last one or the ones before it. They has gone away from their formula of playing it safe. I will wait till I see in person, I have a feeling I am going to like it when I see it blending in with the stuff out there
I totally agree.
Old 12-24-17, 04:24 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bjjones

And from a styling perspective, I'm glad it's not as the LS 500 is futuristic & elegant while the Panamera looks like an elongated, bulbous frog.
Lets not even put these 2 in the same league. Lexus can only dream of making a car as dynamic as the Panamera.

Lexus had a loyal base with LS, it took them 3+ yrs longer than normal to bring out the new model and now that its here it doesn't live up to what the LS is about. Offering V6 only is a big negative, add the new sporty ride, less room, higher price and weird styling = formula for potential failure.

LS was a strong point in Lexus lineup - it just needed more of what it already had. It was doing well in sales until they did another refresh and not a brand new model. Plus now you have solid alternatives from G90, S90, Model S, A8, CT6, Continental etc.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-24-17 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-24-17, 05:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

"LS 500 could be considered as a Japanese Panamera"

I know Lexus is on the up and up with the whole performance game, but I dont think its going to happen over night and in this segment and of course not with the 5 LS.

The LS moniker was designed to go after the status quo monikers S-class, A8, and the 7 series. Since the 1st gen, I think Lexus has made huge inroads into attracting clientele from the flag bearers, however no one really thinks of the LS as the flagship that comes to mind when going for a full size sedan, since its more of a logical choice. Its value proposition has been paramount to its success. Same thing is evident here as well. The LS is probably cutting edge and on or above the level of tech that the magical 3 have in their current gens. However without attractive leasing schemes, or trunk money the LS isnt going to move after the first wave of buyers have driven off the lot. Its a tough time to launch a sedan in a primarily SUV/Crossover hungry market.
Old 12-24-17, 06:50 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lets not even put these 2 in the same league. Lexus can only dream of making a car as dynamic as the Panamera.

How would you know if you haven't even driven the LS yet?
Old 12-24-17, 07:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
How would you know if you haven't even driven the LS yet?
Umm i dont need to drive it - plenty of tests out there.If u just look at raw perf data 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed, braking, slalom etc.Panamera is a monster plus it offers a bunch of versions for all types of potential buyers.
Old 12-24-17, 08:23 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Lexus had a loyal base with LS, it took them 3+ yrs longer than normal to bring out the new model and now that its here it doesn't live up to what the LS is about. Offering V6 only is a big negative, add the new sporty ride, less room, higher price and weird styling = formula for potential failure.

LS was a strong point in Lexus lineup - it just needed more of what it already had. It was doing well in sales until they did another refresh and not a brand new model. Plus now you have solid alternatives from G90, S90, Model S, A8, CT6, Continental etc.

Well put. At least some one else sees what I see.

President Akio should not "niche" to his own tastes, nor the personal tastes of people like Rhambler and their zest for HP & 0-60.
President Akio should learn to design the LS for full size luxury market tastes...
Old 12-24-17, 08:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

I dont disagree...
Old 12-24-17, 08:26 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Umm i dont need to drive it - plenty of tests out there.If u just look at raw perf data 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed, braking, slalom etc.Panamera is a monster plus it offers a bunch of versions for all types of potential buyers.
If dynamism (your word) is the metric then aside from the 5LS' figure 8 number from MT (which it won in the comparison), what other numbers do you have comparing the two to confidently say that the LS and Panamera should not be put in the "same league" and that "Lexus can only dream of making a car as dynamic as the Panamera".

I'm very curious to know if you've actually driven the car or seen the numbers to make these exaggerated Trump-isms?
Old 12-24-17, 08:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Lexus can make a car MORE dynamic than Porsche, but then it will probably cost over $300k .....
Old 12-24-17, 08:57 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

So coming from somebody that actually drove the car and a seasoned automotive reviewer. He is drawing almost polar opposite conclusions than some of you in this thread that haven't been behind the wheel of the 5LS.

"really nipping at the heels of the S class"

"blown away"

"fun to drive"

"even more BMW than a BMW"

"its got the grunt of a v8, torque comes in at 1600rpm"

"I would argue, at least on par for #2 spot in this segment, meaning its as good if not inches out the 7 series"

So while some of you guys (who have not spent even a second driving the 5LS) are busy comparing it to a G90, experts are comparing it to the S Class. Something must be lost in translation. Probably all the hate.

Last edited by G Star; 12-25-17 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-25-17, 01:46 AM
bjjones
Driver

I disagree. Cars like the LFA, new LC 500 & to some degree even the legendary 1990 LS & fabulous 1992 SC prove your sentiment to be untrue. Capability on the part of Lexus certainly isn't the issue, as they have built some of the finest automobiles in the world.

Furthermore, I'm not that enamored with the Panamera, as I find it's overall appearance hideous plus the Panamera's main calling card is performance & handling as it's more of a large sports sedan than a reserved luxury sedan.

Lexus had a loyal base with LS, it took them 3+ yrs longer than normal to bring out the new model and now that its here it doesn't live up to what the LS is about.
I somewhat disagree with the LS 500 not living up to LS standards of past generations, as the interior design of the LS 500 is remarkable & on par or better than any of it's more expensive German/European competitors, not to mention the optional Mark Levinson stereo system is still available & will continue as one of the best (if not the best) offered by any luxury brand. Plus we know that Lexus build quality & reliability will still be unparalleled. So there's no doubt the LS 500 will be a very good car overall, but Lexus didn't completely finish the job to make it great car.

Offering V6 only is a big negative add the new sporty ride, less room,
These are valid criticisms, particularly the TT V6 as the sole engine choice, which was a big mistake on the part of Lexus. And my interpretation of the ride quality based on many of the reviews is not so much "sporty" but a less floaty, more buttoned down ride. Also one must take into consideration that the firmer ride mentioned in reviews of the LS & LS F-Sport models is primarily due to 20 inch wheels and run flat tires.

Higher price
The $2,000 - $3,000 difference in MSRP (base model) from a 2017 LS 460 to 2018 LS 500 is more than justified, especially considering all the new features, technology, craftsmanship & upgraded interior with better materials.

Weird styling.
Opinion. You may consider the LS 500 styling to be "weird", but for me it's stunning & cutting edge.

True, but I think the unique new design language along with Lexus reliability, quality & potential excellent resale value will make the LS 500 a major player in the large luxury sedan segment.

Last edited by bjjones; 12-25-17 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-25-17, 02:04 AM
bjjones
Driver

Originally Posted by coolsaber
"LS 500 could be considered as a Japanese Panamera"

I know Lexus is on the up and up with the whole performance game, but I dont think its going to happen over night and in this segment and of course not with the 5 LS.
I was discussing the LS 500 "as a Japanese Panamera" based on some of it's exterior styling elements, not from a performance & handling standpoint.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h