Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-17, 09:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I can’t think of a single Lexus model that doesn’t present a value in its segment...
Once you get past 50 or 60K, there is no value when cross shopping. An LX at 90K is not a value in a way. A Range Rover at 110K is not either, nor is a G wagon V12 at $220K. It depends on what you want at that point. Just my thoughts. It is a Price you pay to get into such a brand.
Old 12-25-17, 09:35 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in japan, the LS has no domestic competition and japanese consumers are very domestic brand loyal, so it's hard to see how that info will in any way translate to the u.s. i've no doubt though that the LS should get off to a good start in the u.s. due to pent up demand.
I'm not trying to correlate the two, but just by demand alone in Japan where the LS is not as much as a seller than the US, it's very good. Over 9000 orders before its release is more than twice as much as the current LS will likely sell over here. It may not be as big of a jump in the states, but I don't know why anyone would think the car won't sell.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-26-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-26-17, 05:48 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
I'm not trying to correlate the two, but just by demand alone in Japan where the LS is not as much as a seller than the US, it's very good. Over 9000 orders before its release is more than twice as much as the current LS will likely sell over here. It may not be as big of a jump in the states, but I don't know why anyone would think the car won't sell.
That's because the LS is MUCH cheaper than the imports and the competition is much smaller. Japan govt protects the JDM auto industry. Im sure a lot of that is orders by company executives to get chauffeured around.

Plus the same was said about LC500 that the demand was 2-3yrs....they are collecting dust at my local dealer.
Old 12-26-17, 05:54 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Once you get past 50 or 60K, there is no value when cross shopping. An LX at 90K is not a value in a way. A Range Rover at 110K is not either, nor is a G wagon V12 at $220K. It depends on what you want at that point. Just my thoughts. It is a Price you pay to get into such a brand.
LOL you must not interact with wealthy people. The more money some of these ppl have the cheaper they get.Just because u can afford to buy $250k Bentley GT all day doesn't mean you dont settle for $150k Sclass coupe bec of its Value.
Old 12-26-17, 06:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LOL you must not interact with wealthy people.
Pardon me....lol

The more money some of these ppl have the cheaper they get.Just because u can afford to buy $250k Bentley GT all day doesn't mean you dont settle for $150k Sclass coupe bec of its Value.
My argument is that there is that once you pass certain threshold of price, these cars are no longer sold based on price. Its now based on the prestige of what the brand means or how much you are willing to pay for that badge. So perhaps the value of brand is what I might say, but not the car individual value, ​​​​​​When you are shopping for a Corolla, Camry, Accord or Sonata, its all price competitive first, people at that point are definitely looking for value.

I don't think you can ever say luxury cars or goods can ever be considered a value.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-26-17 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-26-17, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't think you can ever say luxury cars or goods can ever be considered a value.
No, not if you compare them to a 15K econobox, but there is such a thing as value in a large luxury vehicle compared to its competitors. If you have not already checked out a Genesis G90, by all means, do so, then compare its 68-69K base price with the cars it competes against (and, actually betters, in some ways)...the LS500, A8, S550, and 7-series. Yes, the LS will probably be the most reliable, the A8 will have the best fit/finish and AWD system, the S550 will have the most safety equipment, and the 7-series will probably be the best drivers' car. But, as a total well-rounded package, it G90 is hard to beat for the price....and not to mention the best warranty.
Old 12-26-17, 06:47 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

There really is no difference in shopping between a Corolla and Civic compared to Sclass and 7series.
Things like features, design, price, value all come into play.
LS was the best at this for many years and back in 2000-2005, you can claim not only was the LS430 a much better value than the Sclass but it was also the better luxury car even if the price was the same.

And ofcourse there is Value in Luxury car segment. Just like in any profucts that you buy.
Most buyers in the large sedan luxury segment want an Sclass but if there is an alternative that gives you almost everything for 65-70% of price (lease payment) - its very hard to say no. Now that the Sclass offers cheaper V6 option that maybe even more difficult.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-26-17 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-26-17, 06:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Most buyers in the large sedan luxury segment want an Sclass but if there is an alternative that gives you almost everything for 65-70% of price (lease payment) -

See, this is where your argument falls apart. Not everyone wants an S-class. And the fact is, you have no idea what people want. People want what they want and it all differs.
Old 12-26-17, 07:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I completely disagree. Value is relative, and it depends on the price threshold of the particular consumer. Not to sound boastful, but $90,000 for a car for me is not a tremendous sum, and there are a whole lot more people with way more money than me out there. When looking at a fully loaded LS at $90k vs a similar S class at $120k, yeah, the LS is a value, even though by your definition it’s “expensive”

As I said before, I consider the G90 at $70k, actually “cheap”.

I can show you $1.5M houses all day I consider a good value. It’s all relative.

And yes, people absolutely buy cars this expensive based on value and price. I’ve had 3 LSs, and there are certainly cars I’d rather have if somebody was giving me a car. But, I pay for my cars and the LS was a choice made with value in mind. True, "not everybody wants an S Class", but that doesn't mean that value isn't a consideration in the mind of luxury car buyers.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-26-17 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-26-17, 07:54 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Who buys a luxury car for its value proposition? If I wanted value, I would buy a Corolla or Camry, or even an Avalon, not a Lexus.

Lexus is now almost 30-years old. Lexus is NOT Genesis. Genesis is the young wannabe, trying to prove that it can fight it out with the big (German and Japanese) boys and girls; Lexus is no longer the wannabe. Genesis is now following in Lexus' footsteps (just as Hyundai was once following in Toyota's footsteps). Lexus is now a true, mature, luxury brand and we should treat it as such.
I think your opinion is inline with the Lexus company line. However I beg to differ just cause of what I perceive with Lexus LS and by some extension what I have observed with how certain models have sold in years past. I agree that Lexus is no longer a youngin in the field of high dollar luxury cars, but they still have to do the tango when trying to attract customers with value.

My tried and true example which is getting old but still holds true is the current gen GS. That thing was won all the top awards, and bested the best in class 5 series...Sadly it sold like a turd, UNTIL Lexus overfilled the trunk with that movin money. VALUE in getting the best mid size rwd performance saloon for less then everyone else.

The LS, from a paper comparo is the exact same way, matches and/bests the stalwarts of the segment, but without a good value proposition its gonna suffer in sales.
Old 12-26-17, 07:56 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

See, this is where your argument falls apart. Not everyone wants an S-class. And the fact is, you have no idea what people want. People want what they want and it all differs.
Not everyone wants an s class is exactly why the other competitors exist. But with the sales of the S class ahead of everyone else, I`d reckon to assume, alot of people want that car tho
Old 12-26-17, 09:03 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 370 Likes on 255 Posts

I disagree and what's very strange is you're setting a threshold to where you say value no longer exists ($50k-$60k). So you admit that value exists below that but think it disappears beyond that?? Why do you feel that way and what is the $60k based on? How do you justify value between a $35k car and $60k car? Do you think it's possible someone else is thinking there is no way to justify the difference between a $20k car and a $50k car - and that value to them doesn't exist beyond say $30k?

To me, value exists at every price point of every category for absolutely everything you can buy. Houses can be astronomically priced but still offer great "value" (good school district, low price relative to others in neighborhood, needs no cosmetic work, offers likelihood of appreciation). I'm in sales and have sold pieces of capital equipment that cost 5x the amount of my competitor. People bought like crazy because the value proposition was valid and it was a better "investment" (even though it still depreciated over time) for them.

I understand this is just your opinion (although it wasn't really stated like an opinion), but just because you don't see the value in something above a certain price point doesn't mean it doesn't exist to others. I bet if you asked someone driving a $250k Rolls Royce how they justified the purchase you'd get some insight into the ways other people think and make decisions. You may still disagree, but I find if I listen close enough I always learn something.
Old 12-26-17, 09:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Agree with the above on all counts.
Old 12-26-17, 10:15 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There really is no difference in shopping between a Corolla and Civic compared to Sclass and 7series.
Things like features, design, price, value all come into play.
LS was the best at this for many years and back in 2000-2005, you can claim not only was the LS430 a much better value than the Sclass but it was also the better luxury car even if the price was the same.

And ofcourse there is Value in Luxury car segment. Just like in any profucts that you buy.
Most buyers in the large sedan luxury segment want an Sclass but if there is an alternative that gives you almost everything for 65-70% of price (lease payment) - its very hard to say no. Now that the Sclass offers cheaper V6 option that maybe even more difficult.

The S class of that era had strengths over the LS430 at the time, the S class had more power, better performance, available 12 cylinder, it handled better, to me had a better interior design and was better looking though a lot of costs were obviously cut with that era and it was not as solid as the previous S class or the LS.

The LS430 at the time was much more reliable, better built, interior quality was better, less complicated, easier to live with and maintain as the S class, rode as smoothly but it did not handle well at all.

The S class still seemed like a car a notch above the LS430, not a big notch but still a nicer more upscale car.
Old 12-26-17, 12:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Once you get past 50 or 60K, there is no value when cross shopping.
the you in this case must be YOU, in that YOU don't see any value, but you're completely and utterly wrong that others don't see value at different price points. as has been pointed out, many EXTREMELY wealthy people buy a $90K car instead of a $100K car to "save money". sure it's all a rationalization, but they think the $90K car is good value TO THEM but the $100K isn't.

you're doing what several on here do and that's only see things through your own point of view.

LOL you must not interact with wealthy people. The more money some of these ppl have the cheaper they get.Just because u can afford to buy $250k Bentley GT all day doesn't mean you dont settle for $150k Sclass coupe bec of its Value.
exactly.

My argument is that there is that once you pass certain threshold of price, these cars are no longer sold based on price.
we know your argument and it's flat wrong.

TO YOU. some people see a $30K rolex watch or a $50K diamond ring as "good value" perhaps because they think it will retain or even appreciate in value. for me, i see an ugly watch i'd never spend $30K on.

correct not everyone wants an S-Class but neither do you know what everyone wants. what we're saying is people vary widely and have different amounts they're willing to spend and rationalize need, want, and value in different ways. for example, a $100K LX is probably considered by most of its buyers as a GREAT value because a) it's highly reliable, and b) it should last forever. for me, i get bored of cars in 6 years or less, so i wouldn't want one so it doesn't represent good value. but i do like the LX in many ways!

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h