Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 08:52 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Seems like a great starting point to get people interested. But if they don't have a good lease option, I don't see much advantage here. Maybe just for the buyers. It would be similar to higher starting price with good lease option. On the other side some will say the LS is cheap and start looking into different options. It's not really a win win situation as it may seem.
Old 09-15-17, 08:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Well, a V6 BMW 740i with 320 HP clocks in much faster than the LS 460 with 386 HP, legitimately, or at least tested like that across multiple sources.

Lexus just greatly overstates their performance figures. I'm curious how much Lexus overstates this car. Other than the price, which we now know, that's the only other unknown I'm curious about.
This often get repeated on this site and I don't really understand why. To dive further into it, I pulled up the Lexus web site 0-60 mph figures and compared those figures to test results from Car and Driver and Motor Trend (for those available). What I found is that, where data is available, the results are mixed but most are not overstated by Lexus at all.

As you can see below, in these two magazines Lexus vehicles performed at or better than Lexus advertises 32 times out of 38.

It seems clear to me that Lexus does not habitually overstate performance figures as is so constantly repeated on here.

Old 09-15-17, 09:31 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A lot of those values aren't actual instrument tests, especially from C&D.

Unless noted otherwise, they'll just regurgitate what's already out there. The LS 460, for example, I don't believe they ever actually tested. Motor trend did and that 5.6 and 5.7 for the normal and F respectively were indeed what they hit. But C&D never actually published an instrument test. At least I couldn't find one.

RCF is another one where I don't think C&D actually went on record to test.

Still a far cry from the Germans Habit of understating.
Old 09-15-17, 09:40 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
That's very interesting, and much lower than I had expected.

I figured the 5th gen GS was going to move upmarket and become a $70k car. Perhaps not if the LS starts at $75k.
That was my taught exactly. Its looking really good right now. And it also allows a V8 LS to be priced properly(whenever they decide to let the cat out of the bag)
Old 09-15-17, 09:55 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.google.com/amp/www.carbu...Models-7740026
Old 09-15-17, 09:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

RCF is another one where I don't think C&D actually went on record to test.
Car and Driver RC F instrumented test here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-tested-review

Still a far cry from the Germans Habit of understating.
I didn't say otherwise. I fully agree the Germans understate their figures. I was not addressing that at all, but rather your claim that "Lexus just greatly overstates their performance figures". I cannot find any data that backs up your claim. Perhaps you can provide some real world test data to back it up?
Old 09-15-17, 10:05 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Here's one.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.autom...rt-review/amp/

Tests 7.2. Took me two seconds to find. I'm sure there are many more examples. If you really want me to find them and display them here, I will.

The LS 460 is another that I'm all too familiar with.
Old 09-15-17, 10:09 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, a V6 BMW 740i with 320 HP clocks in much faster than the LS 460 with 386 HP, legitimately, or at least tested like that across multiple sources.

Lexus just greatly overstates their performance figures. I'm curious how much Lexus overstates this car. Other than the price, which we now know, that's the only other unknown I'm curious about.
You make me laugh.
I remember a GS350 and a GS460 putting out almost the same performance figure in real world until you reach certain speed and those are two NA engine cars. Now why am I not surprise a lighter turbo engine car probably with lesser weight is faster.
Old 09-15-17, 10:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Here's one.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.autom...rt-review/amp/

Tests 7.2. Took me two seconds to find. I'm sure there are many more examples. If you really want me to find them and display them here, I will.

The LS 460 is another that I'm all too familiar with.
I'm not sure how I see this article as helping your argument.

On the surface at least, the performance numbers for the 2016 Lexus GS (241 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque) seem acceptable enough and help propel the roughly 3,800-pound GS from 0 to 60 mph in a shade over 7 seconds, according to Lexus. While no rocket ship, in our first stint behind the wheel of the GS 200t we found it at least as quick as the numbers suggest, with Lexus claiming it is nearly as peppy with three adults in the car. (We’ll have to take Lexus’ word for it for now.)
Anyway, we're getting far off the LS thread topic so I'm out. Have a good day.
Old 09-15-17, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
my coworker's 535 stickered at 74k, and he got it for 58k, flew to Cape Cod to get it. These list prices are outrageous.
because dealers...
Old 09-15-17, 10:19 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Scroll down the article to see their actual results. Then compare it to claimed numbers.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm not sure how I see this article as helping your argument.

Anyway, we're getting far off the LS thread topic so I'm out. Have a good day.
Old 09-15-17, 10:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

More from Lexus Enthusiast.
Lexus has announced the all-new fifth-generation LS flagship sedan will start around $75,000 in the United States, up from the $73,500 base price of the existing model.

This additional cost will be offset by new standard features, though exact details have yet to be released. It’s also expected that 70% of all LS sales will come in below $80,000 before individual options are added. Pricing for the LS will max out at approximately $100,000 for a fully loaded model.

Other interesting details — Lexus forecasts that the LS will sell approximately 1,000 units per month in the USA, with the F SPORT package accounting for 20% of sales and the LS hybrid at 10%.
Emphasis in bold is mine.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/09/...-75000-in-usa/
Old 09-15-17, 11:03 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

For those interested, here's a press briefing from earlier this week, looks like the car will be out February , LS500h 0-60 5.1 sec. MPG figures will be 25/33/28 combined, didn't watch whole video yet.
Old 09-15-17, 11:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
What Lexus do you feel is overpriced? In my experience Lexus pricing has been pretty good. I can't think of one model I feel is overpriced relative to its competition...
GS especially compared to ES is overpriced, sales reflect that.
GS-F and RC-F are overpriced hence the poor sales and having to lower the price
LFA was overpriced hence why they did not sell all 500 to buyers.
I feel the LC500 is overpriced for what you get and the many lukewarm reviews.

Germans generally cost more but most agree they are way overpriced too but have more prestige and normally more performance, does not mean it is okay for Lexus to price their cars closer and closer.
Old 09-15-17, 11:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The GS is hardly overpriced compared to other entries in its segment. It's cheapest car in its segment. Whether it's overpriced compared to the ES depends on you. Having had both I would pay the extra for the GS no problem.

LFA overpriced? They've gone up in value depending on the car.

LC, also I don't see how you can say it's overpriced if you've experienced one and really think about its competition. Most of the reviews I've read have been very positive.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h