Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 08:03 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And there you have the uphill battle Genesis has going for.....
The battle that Genesis now has -- trying to prove that it is good enough to play with the big, established premium brands -- is no different than the battle that Lexus had (or continues to have, if you believe all the contributors to this thread).
Old 01-03-18, 08:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Really thought about the G90 but the snob in me couldn’t do it.
And there you have the uphill battle Genesis has going for.....
Part of the battle, too, is simply getting more dealers that can handle the G90. Where Steve lives, there is nearly Lexus of Rockville (and Pohanka Lexus, in Chantilly, which isn't that far away) that can sell and service an LS. Genesis, unfortunately, currently operates only out of established Hyundai shops....and, even among those, only certain ones among those are allowed to sell and service G90s...the rest are limited to the G80 (and, presumably, the upcoming G70). The closest G90 shop, for Steve, would probably be substantially further than the closest Lexus shop...all of the nearby Genesis shops in suburban Maryland (at least according to the Genesis web-site) are G80 only.
Old 01-03-18, 09:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of the battle, too, is simply getting more dealers that can handle the G90. Where Steve lives, there is nearly Lexus of Rockville (and Pohanka Lexus, in Chantilly, which isn't that far away) that can sell and service an LS. Genesis, unfortunately, currently operates only out of established Hyundai shops....and, even among those, only certain ones among those are allowed to sell and service G90s...the rest are limited to the G80 (and, presumably, the upcoming G70). The closest G90 shop, for Steve, would probably be substantially further than the closest Lexus shop...all of the nearby Genesis shops in suburban Maryland (at least according to the Genesis web-site) are G80 only.
If the Genesis was worth it, he would of gone out of his way to get one. Obviously it was not.
Old 01-03-18, 09:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

If the Genesis was worth it, he would of gone out of his way to get one. Obviously it was not.
worth it didn't enter it. snob factor did.
Old 01-03-18, 10:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Therefore, the Genesis brand is not in with Lexus.
Old 01-03-18, 10:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

There's room for both. It's not an either/or situation.
Old 01-03-18, 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

All I did, Jill, was point out a couple of geographical facts on the map. As far as anything else (or personal decisions) on Steve's part, as to why he did what he did, I'd say let him speak for himself.
Old 01-03-18, 11:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I think the car is 100% in it with the G90, for me it was more a question of where I am with Lexus, the snob factor, etc. Its all a question of cost benefit, I'm paying about $200 a month more for my LS460L than I would have been a similar G90 Ultimate V8, and IMHO the badge and experience with Lexus is worth $200 a month. Is it worth $400 a month? Not so sure. Bear in mind I'm getting a great deal on this LS, its over 20% off MSRP.

Having better dealers would help. I have to go to Chantilly or Alexandria to even get a look at a G90, and presumably thats where it would have to go to be serviced. When Lexus started they had good dealer networks in the DC area, Rockville, Silver Spring, Alexandria and Chantilly were all original Lexus dealers. That helps a lot to make the brand and car feel "legit".
Old 01-03-18, 12:53 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think the car is 100% in it with the G90, for me it was more a question of where I am with Lexus, the snob factor, etc. Its all a question of cost benefit, I'm paying about $200 a month more for my LS460L than I would have been a similar G90 Ultimate V8, and IMHO the badge and experience with Lexus is worth $200 a month. Is it worth $400 a month? Not so sure. Bear in mind I'm getting a great deal on this LS, its over 20% off MSRP.

Having better dealers would help. I have to go to Chantilly or Alexandria to even get a look at a G90, and presumably thats where it would have to go to be serviced. When Lexus started they had good dealer networks in the DC area, Rockville, Silver Spring, Alexandria and Chantilly were all original Lexus dealers. That helps a lot to make the brand and car feel "legit".
Is this cost differential with the G90 V8 Ultimate with AWD? In which case, you would have gotten a lot more tech and features in the G90 (Surround View camera, much better safety tech including better DRCC and LKA, power rear seats, and AWD). So the value of the G90 would be very hard to match.

As for the dealership experience and distance, my understanding is that all G90 owners will have concierge service (and free maintenance for the first 3 years), with the dealer providing a loaner G90 until your vehicle is returned. That seems like an amazing offer. Agreed it is more of a hassle to visit and check out the G90 before buying, but once you buy it, you never have to step anywhere close to the dealership.
Old 01-03-18, 12:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Yeah, thats compared to a V8 ultimate G90. I'd have more features, but not really features I need or want. For me this LS is a special car, if it was just a lease and done that might be one thing, but for a car I very well may keep for 5+ years I'd rather have the Lexus,
Old 01-03-18, 01:23 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Nice choice. My uncle got a '17 swb with awd. He calls it a boss car and only uses when I'm around to drive it to chauffeur them around. I dont mind, since it is a nice drive. It may not have the gobs of low end power as some of its v8 turbo competitors, but its one smooth powerplant with deceptive speed. Going 80mph feels like going 40mph.
Old 01-03-18, 01:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I could live with the Genesis badge and conservative interior styling if the exterior styling was as contemporary as the midsize G80.
However, the G90 is just too conservatively styled outside & inside for my tastes, especially the shark nose headlights, and the conservative C pillar design.
The leather upholstery has such old school styling like a Jaguar from the 1970's.

Old 01-03-18, 03:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Therefore, the Genesis brand is not in with Lexus.
and mercedes owners will say lexus is not in with mercedes... and so it goes.

i can absolutely understand sw15ls (or sw17ls ) being more comfortable with the image of the lexus ls vs. the rookie genesis and especially since he's enjoyed lexus for so long.

there's no one size fits all, it's a personal thing. i know someone who just bought an alfa giulio because he's kinda 'different' and has had alfas in the past and doesn't care about any concerns on reliability, so obviously not a lexus target.
Old 01-03-18, 04:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
... the G90 is just too conservatively styled outside & inside for my tastes, especially the shark nose headlights, and the conservative C pillar design.
The leather upholstery has such old school styling like a Jaguar from the 1970's.
can understand that pov but the g90 may well be considered like a rolls royce in s. korea, i don't know, so big, safe, conservative probably works... i always remember there's more to the car market than the u.s. and a car's 'domestic' market must always be considered too.

i personally like the old school leather styling and everything inside the g90. the lexus ls on the other hand is still a wonderful high quality smooth as silk sedan but feeling its age in the tech department.
Old 01-03-18, 05:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

and mercedes owners will say lexus is not in with mercedes... and so it goes.
D
And Lexus sells some 350k units as an comparable alternative to MB, BMW or Audi. In a shrinking market, Genesis has to offer some truly extraordinary to take car sales away from any of these three. I don't think they will succeed

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h