Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 05:37 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And Lexus sells some 350k units as an comparable alternative to MB, BMW or Audi. In a shrinking market, Genesis has to offer some truly extraordinary to take car sales away from any of these three. I don't think they will succeed
True, but to play advocate here but Buick about decade ago was right behind pontiac on the chopping block....Somehow they reinvented themselves in the Chinese Market, and well today Buicks make up 27% of all sales in China for GM corp...

I`d say were just getting started, lets see how this pans out, maybe in a decade genesis might be up there with the best of em.
Old 01-03-18, 05:40 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And Lexus sells some 350k units as an comparable alternative to MB, BMW or Audi. In a shrinking market, Genesis has to offer some truly extraordinary to take car sales away from any of these three. I don't think they will succeed
And what's the breakdown of those numbers you're touting? ES and RX right? Some NX maybe. We're talking about flagship RWD-based vehicles here, not necessarily some nice FWD augmented rebadged vehicles.
Old 01-03-18, 05:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It's too early to tell if Genesis will succeed or not but early indications are favorable that it will. For 2017 the G90 outsold the LS 4,398 to 4,096 so it's trending in the right direction for them. As mentioned there is room for both Lexus and Genesis, specifically the LS and G90. They need their CUV and SUV ASAP.

Also, the G80 outsold the GS over 2 to 1 last year (16,196 vs. 7,773).

Last edited by LexBob2; 01-03-18 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-03-18, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
True, but to play advocate here but Buick about decade ago was right behind pontiac on the chopping block....Somehow they reinvented themselves in the Chinese Market, and well today Buicks make up 27% of all sales in China for GM corp...

I`d say were just getting started, lets see how this pans out, maybe in a decade genesis might be up there with the best of em.

Buick, though, had (and still has) plenty of dealerships. That's the Achilles heel for Genesis right now....not enough retail outlets, particularly for the G90.

A little off-topic, maybe, but the main difference between Buick and Pontiac, and why Pontiac got the ax instead of Buick, is that, except for the nice Holden-derived pontiacs, the division essentially sold junk. And even the nice Holden derived GTO and G8 had trouble selling. Buick, meanwhile, while getting more popular in China, also had a loyal (if somewhat aged) cadre of buyers in the U.S.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-18 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-03-18, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
And what's the breakdown of those numbers you're touting? ES and RX right? Some NX maybe. We're talking about flagship RWD-based vehicles here, not necessarily some nice FWD augmented rebadged vehicles.

Good point. The LS, no matter how nice a machine it is, is simply not a bread-and-butter vehicle like the ES and RX.
Old 01-03-18, 06:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It's too early to tell if Genesis will succeed or not but early indications are favorable that it will. For 2017 the G90 outsold the LS 4,398 to 4,096 so it's trending in the right direction for them. As mentioned there is room for both Lexus and Genesis, specifically the LS and G90. They need their CUV and SUV ASAP.

Also, the G80 outsold the GS over 2 to 1 last year (16,196 vs. 7,773).
Hang on a second. Genesis under Hyundai sold 31k in 2015, 23K in 2016, and both the G80/90 under the new nomenclature sold 20k in 2017. Not really sure they are off to a promising start. Plus, they sell for less.
Old 01-03-18, 06:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

People are willing to pay for FWD under a luxury brand. I look at the brand as a whole.
Old 01-03-18, 06:17 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

People are willing to pay for FWD under a luxury brand. I look at the brand as a whole.
That's fine, except this is a discussion about the RWD based 5LS and its competitors which include the Genesis G90. There is absolutely no way anybody who's driving an ES thinks that its superior to a G90. RX buyers aren't in the same category as Merc ML and so on. You're conflating different models under some generic brand designation.
Old 01-03-18, 06:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's fine, except this is a discussion about the RWD based 5LS and its competitors which include the Genesis G90.
Which is fine because I responded to any earlier post about "Lexus vs MB" which you then responded to me. You are the one that broke down FWD and RWD.
Old 01-03-18, 06:27 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Which is fine because I responded to any earlier post about "Lexus vs MB" which you then responded to me. You are the one that broke down FWD and RWD.
Because of the numbers you are touting. You introduced the number argument as a counter to advocate that Genesis is not as good/popular as Lexus because of sheer numbers. Context matters. Your words: "alternative to MB, BMW or Audi". That's where the argument has an issue. The Germans are primarily RWD based sellers and ES/RX are simply luxe alternatives based on Toyota products. The Audis are FWD but longitudinal drivetrains. Genesis is RWD based and lower end right now.
Old 01-03-18, 08:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Buick, though, had (and still has) plenty of dealerships. That's the Achilles heel for Genesis right now....not enough retail outlets, particularly for the G90.

A little off-topic, maybe, but the main difference between Buick and Pontiac, and why Pontiac got the ax instead of Buick, is that, except for the nice Holden-derived pontiacs, the division essentially sold junk. And even the nice Holden derived GTO and G8 had trouble selling. Buick, meanwhile, while getting more popular in China, also had a loyal (if somewhat aged) cadre of buyers in the U.S.
While I agree their dealership is part of the issue, Brand prestige is quite important. Until recently the Gen moniker was sold at Hyundai dealerships...Not to be rude but people hear Hyundai and think of ****boxes of old. Toyota at least had a brand image of reliable eco boxes. Hence Hyundai divested from keeping Genesis from the brand and making it, its own identity.

In addition, I personally feel they share too much. Genesis Luxury brand, currently saloons only. Then you introduce Kia Stinger, RWD performance saloon....? From that i interpret,
Hyundai=Toyota, Genesis=Lexus and Kia=cheaper Genesis?

Dealership network limitations can also be overcome by more modern techno chic setups, especially how low volume Genesis is currently, Move the dealership to the customer. Bring a demo to the customer, let them customize or select a vehicle of their offering and deliver. Their service adheres to this concept kind of already
Old 01-03-18, 08:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
not to be rude but people hear Hyundai and think of ****boxes of old.
'People' huh? Well, not to the 700k in u.s. that bought hyundai/kia/genesis last year.
In addition, I personally feel they share too much. Genesis Luxury brand, currently saloons only. Then you introduce Kia Stinger, RWD performance saloon....? From that i interpret,
Hyundai=Toyota, Genesis=Lexus and Kia=cheaper Genesis?
True, there's overlap and some confusion... kia's k900 (which didn't sell well) is very luxurious.But i don't look at genesis as static and limited for good, they're just getting started. And the g70 will bring a luxury version of the stinger to genesis.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-04-18 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-03-18, 09:28 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

As I understand their long term plans, Hyundai will be the base cars, KIA a step up, and Genesis at the top. Sort of GM with Chevy, Buick, and Cadillac. Like GM, there will also be some overlap.

Last edited by oldcajun; 01-03-18 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 06:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
As I understand their long term plans, Hyundai will be the base cars, KIA a step up, and Genesis at the top. Sort of GM with Chevy, Buick, and Cadillac. Like GM, there will also be some overlap.
interesting, thanks. makes sense.
Old 01-04-18, 08:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There is absolutely no way anybody who's driving an ES thinks that its superior to a G90.
Agreed it's apples-and-oranges, but, considering that a typical ES costs about 60% what typical G90 does with options, it's not fair to compare them. As earlier noted, this is basically a comparison of the LS and G90.

Having said that, though, except for its somewhat cheap interior dash/door-trim materials and less sound insulation than in earlier versions, the ES is a solid buy for the money. I considered one myself before I chose the Lacrosse.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h