Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 04:17 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'People' huh? Well, not to the 700k in u.s. that bought hyundai/kia/genesis last year.
True, there's overlap and some confusion... kia's k900 (which didn't sell well) is very luxurious.But i don't look at genesis as static and limited for good, they're just getting started. And the g70 will bring a luxury version of the stinger to genesis.
I guess if no one associated the previously mentioned image problem, then Hyundai made the genesis brand separate for giggles I assume? I think the Genesis branding as its own entity, new original designs, dealership networks, and of course a CUV lineup will all go to help establish and separate Genesis the luxo brand from Hyundai/Kia the eco brand.
Old 01-04-18, 07:26 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'People' huh? Well, not to the 700k in u.s. that bought hyundai/kia/genesis last year.
True, there's overlap and some confusion... kia's k900 (which didn't sell well) is very luxurious.But i don't look at genesis as static and limited for good, they're just getting started. And the g70 will bring a luxury version of the stinger to genesis.
Hyundai/Kia sales in 2017 were down 13% and 9% YoY respectively, the worst performance of any mainstream brand not from FCA.
Old 01-04-18, 08:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,356 Likes on 1,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Hyundai/Kia sales in 2017 were down 13% and 9% YoY respectively, the worst performance of any mainstream brand not from FCA.
Yup, they have the wrong sedan / suv mix. Perfectly good cars like sonata, forte, elantra, cadenza, optima, etc. just won't do well against not only the huge swing to suvs but also renewed strength from stalwarts toyota and honda and upstart renegade subaru.

But we're obviously way off topic... so back to the ls500!
Old 01-04-18, 08:20 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All in good time. Lexus needs to update its own SUV line otherwise it's going to get caught napping on its laurels. Genesis got a screwed up start because it didn't learn how Lexus established a dealership network before launching the LS. But eventually that should get ironed out and then Lexus might have a rival.

The Genesis GV80 might become reality sooner than people think.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/genesi...cles-gv80.html
Old 01-04-18, 11:07 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
All in good time. Lexus needs to update its own SUV line otherwise it's going to get caught napping on its laurels. Genesis got a screwed up start because it didn't learn how Lexus established a dealership network before launching the LS. But eventually that should get ironed out and then Lexus might have a rival.

The Genesis GV80 might become reality sooner than people think.

https://www.genesis.com/us/en/genesi...cles-gv80.html
I don't like the look of the GV80 compared to the styling of the G80 and the RX.
However, I wonder if the GV80 can pressure Lexus to base the next generation of RX's off the Toyota Crown/Lexus GS RWD platform with multi-link suspension and aluminium components, as opposed to using the cheap Camry FWD-based platform?
Old 01-05-18, 05:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,356 Likes on 1,543 Posts

pete, unlikely since the rx sells so well anyway. i don't think target customers care, but a rwd platform would have another benefit - improved packaging options without the current short wheelbase and giant front and rear overhangs.
Old 01-05-18, 05:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
, I wonder if the GV80 can pressure Lexus to base the next generation of RX's off the Toyota Crown/Lexus GS RWD platform with multi-link suspension and aluminium components, as opposed to using the cheap Camry FWD-based platform?
Why? The American consumer overwhelmingly prefers FWD based on sales numbers. Right or wrong , better or worse, justified or not. FWD offers a whole range of benefits that RWD does not. Overwhelmingly, the majority of people “think” they want a certain thing about a car but in fact what they really want it different. All the Corolla, Camry, Accord, Civic, Rav, Rogue, CRV etc etc back this up.The RX and being FWD will always have a leg up on its direct immediate competition if the competition were RWD.
Old 01-05-18, 06:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why? The American consumer overwhelmingly prefers FWD based on sales numbers. Right or wrong , better or worse, justified or not. FWD offers a whole range of benefits that RWD does not. Overwhelmingly, the majority of people “think” they want a certain thing about a car but in fact what they really want it different. All the Corolla, Camry, Accord, Civic, Rav, Rogue, CRV etc etc back this up.The RX and being FWD will always have a leg up on its direct immediate competition if the competition were RWD.
I don’t think the American consumer prefers FWD, I think they just don’t realize or care about the difference. If the RX were a RWD based vehicle it would still sell as well, consumers just don’t care and manufacturers use FWD platforms because they’re available and cheaper.
Old 01-05-18, 06:12 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don’t think the American consumer prefers FWD, I think they just don’t realize or care about the difference. If the RX were a RWD based vehicle it would still sell as well, consumers just don’t care and manufacturers use FWD platforms because they’re available and cheaper.
Agreed a lot of my non car friends and family have no idea or even care about difference between FWD and RWD.
Old 01-05-18, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

manufacturers use FWD platforms because they’re available and cheaper.
The main issues with FWD are traction and space-efficiency, though the traction issue has been lessened somewhat by electronic traction-aids. But FWD, particularly with transverse-engine set-ups (which, of course, is the way the vast majority of FWD systems are done) allows that big, family-size room inside with relatively compact exterior dimensions, lower weight, better fuel economy, and easier maneuverability/parking.
Old 01-05-18, 08:16 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The main issues with FWD are traction and space-efficiency, though the traction issue has been lessened somewhat by electronic traction-aids. But FWD, particularly with transverse-engine set-ups (which, of course, is the way the vast majority of FWD systems are done) allows that big, family-size room inside with relatively compact exterior dimensions, lower weight, better fuel economy, and easier maneuverability/parking.
Right. Plus isn't lexus introducing a premium 5 seat SUV anyways? So that could be based on the GA-L
Old 01-05-18, 09:23 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Right. Plus isn't lexus introducing a premium 5 seat SUV anyways? So that could be based on the GA-L
That would be my next step if I were Lexus. Replace both the GX and LX with a new SUV off the GA-L platform. Short wheelbase to compete with X-5 and long wheelbase to compete with the coming X-7. Leave the RX as-is as the value/volume choice.
Old 01-05-18, 09:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The reason carmakers make FWD products is expense.
Old 01-05-18, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The reason carmakers make FWD products is expense.
Well, if you look at the history of FWD (particularly in the U.S), except for the Olds Toronado and Caddy Eldorado of the 1960s, you didn't see it proliferate until CAFE and emission laws forced the downsizing of most vehicles and smaller engines. At the time, the overriding issue was fuel-economy, and the burden of meeting the government-imposed CAFE laws. RWD was not necessarily more expensive, or cars like the RWD Chevy Chevette and Toyota Starlet could not have been sold at those dirt-cheap prices. I can remember the Chevette Scooter starting at $2899, which was less than even the ill-fated Yugo.
Old 01-05-18, 07:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

I should not have pondered if Genesis GV80 would pressure Lexus to use RWD-based platform on ES & RX etc, but I meant if RWD-based GV80 would pressure Lexus to use their "premium" TNGA GA-L platform for their future ES/RX/NX etc?

The premium Global Architecture Luxury GA-L platform isn't just about RWD with long wheelbase & engine mounted longitudinally behind the front axle for near 50/50 weight distribution for less understeer, but the "premium" architecture is also about using premium multilink suspension to keep the tires perpendicular to the road surface to maximize gripe, and the premium architecture also has a high aluminium chassis content for weight reduction, hence superior performance, economy & dynamics.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h