Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 09:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I would have bought it had they done what RNM suggested.
Old 01-06-18, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thanks .....you just helped prove my point, that those who like traditional LS luxury are not all either with one (or both) feet in the grave or nursing home LOL. (same, of course, with Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick, and some other brands). I don't know where automakers and the auto press get that silly idea.
Old 01-06-18, 09:52 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I still remember the LS commercial with the champagne glasses and engine revving with no vibration.
Doubt that's possible with new V6TT. Thats what opened people's eyes.

Original LS was to make a better Sclass, the new one should have been to nake a better RR Phantom. That car is literally driving on a cloud.

If you come to Manhattan, you will see most owners of these cars get chauffeured around so they prefer comfort.

I think the auto press clamoring for sporty rides with big wheels on these large sedans dont have any intention to buy them nor have ever used them on a daily basis in the real world.
Old 01-06-18, 12:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

and you're only 70.

i keed of course... i believe there's a big difference between 'sporty' handling and 'competent' handling. if a car is setup to be on the stiffer side regardless of driving mode, maybe to make someone feel 'sporty' or to corner more flat, it will never feel like a comfy cloud. mercedes offers an expensive 'magic body control' to allow for comfort over bumps while still being quite capable.
most large sedans are NEVER driven fast/aggressively, so there really is little point in making them firmly sprung or programmed. however, rebound, jounce, squat, roll, etc. can all be controlled these days without making a car feel stiff.

i believe most car and suv buyers will take competent over sporty.

where on the spectrum the new ls is remains to be seen.

i will say the buick enclave avenir with adaptive suspension i drove recently was not great over bumps. my jeep on the other hand doesn't have adaptive suspension or air but strikes a pretty decent compromise on ability vs. comfort.
Old 01-06-18, 01:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks .....you just helped prove my point, that those who like traditional LS luxury are not all either with one (or both) feet in the grave or nursing home LOL. (same, of course, with Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick, and some other brands). I don't know where automakers and the auto press get that silly idea.
I don't think it proves a point as much as it shows there are exceptions. The brands you mentioned are favored by an older demographic as evidenced by the fact they are all trying to get "younger".
Old 01-06-18, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I certainly will admit my tastes are very unusual for my age lol

But, I think there’s more of a market for a comfortable soft riding luxury sedan than people think. Look at the S class...
Old 01-06-18, 02:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

But, I think there’s more of a market for a comfortable soft riding luxury sedan than people think. Look at the S class...
As I recall, you are waiting on delivery of your new LS. When are you expecting it?
Old 01-06-18, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i will say the buick enclave avenir with adaptive suspension i drove recently was not great over bumps.
That's those standard 20" wheels on the Enclave Avenir. Other versions get standard, smoother-riding 18-inchers.....same as on my Preferred-trim Lacrosse. That's one reason (among several) why I didn't wait and order a Lacrosse Avenir, which comes standard with 19-inchers. I don't understand why the designers, at a number of automakers (Buick included), are so Ga-Ga about sticking large wheels on the top-trim versions......most people who want a luxo-decked out vehicle also want a smooth ride.

my jeep on the other hand doesn't have adaptive suspension or air but strikes a pretty decent compromise on ability vs. comfort.
I could be wrong, but I'd (strongly) guess your JGC doesn't have 20-inchers on it....though, of course, SRT and Trackhawk models may be a different story.
Old 01-06-18, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Guess you could say mine were, too. The average 19-year old kid, in college, unlike me, was not enamored with big American luxury cars. One of my college friends, though, began to understand, when his father passed away, and he inherited his late dad's 1967 Chrysler New Yorker. We took couple of swimming/boating trips in it down to the lower Potomac on Nanjemoy Creek, where they had a small cottage.

I know you talked about it, but did you seriously consider an S-class? That's a lot of $$$$$, even on a lease.....I don't think you could have gotten the deal you did on your end-of-year 2017 LS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-18 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-06-18, 03:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I could be wrong, but I'd (strongly) guess your JGC doesn't have 20-inchers on it...
you'd be (strongly) wrong then, as it has 20's. tall sidewalls help though - they're not 'rubber band' tires as you would say.
Old 01-06-18, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you'd be (strongly) wrong then, as it has 20's. tall sidewalls help though - they're not 'rubber band' tires as you would say.

Yeah, my experience, with 20s, in most cases, is that they ride like s***....one reason why I didn't spring for the Buick Cascada convertible, even though I was temped. But, yes, the tires themselves can make a difference, if they actually bother to put some rubber in the sidewall.

Your JGC's ride is also helped by a generally good suspension design.
Old 01-06-18, 06:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Folks let's get back on topic to the LS please
Old 01-07-18, 07:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The more I see actual pics of the cars, the more it seems like deja vu when the 5th gen Maxima came out....rationalizing that newer is better, and finally giving up, maybe a refresh will come along...one sort of did with the E65 BMW. But there is a certain unattractiveness of the new LS that is hard to get rid of imho...
Old 01-07-18, 11:52 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LS should of taken a 1st gen LS formula and updated to the 21st Century.

People who buy large luxury sedans want quiet, smooth and relaxing transportation.
Very few want sporty suspension /steering etc. And for those that do there is a Panamera.

Lexus built its name on the original LS philosophy - they should take to next level instead of recreating from scratch to be "sporty."
Another post where someone who did not drive the LS is talking about how the LS drives and doesn't drive. Just clarifying.
Old 01-07-18, 12:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
Another post where someone who did not drive the LS is talking about how the LS drives and doesn't drive. Just clarifying.
We haven't driven it, BUT there is a strong consensus that the car is firmer, sportier and more dynamic from people and publications that have. When I was shopping for my LS460L all the salespeople including the one who sold me the 15 LS460 had just come back from the area drive event where they had driven the LS500, and while they were all very positive about it all of them said it drives nothing like previous iterations of the LS.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h