Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 12:59 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Another post where someone who did not drive the LS is talking about how the LS drives and doesn't drive. Just clarifying.
There are plenty of reviews from those who have driven 2018 5LS: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...xus+LS+reviews

However, what we have to be very cautious about the number of posters on ClubLexus Forum who are actually Lexus dealers and Lexus sales reps who deliberately distort/conceal the truth to promote their product for financial gain.
Old 01-07-18, 01:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
However, what we have to be very cautious about the number of posters on ClubLexus Forum who are actually Lexus dealers and Lexus sales reps who deliberately distort/conceal the truth to promote their product for financial gain.
Oh please. Thats absurd.
Old 01-07-18, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That might work on some forums, but, in general, not here, for several reasons. First, the sheer size of CL and vast number of its membership.....many of us actually look at, evaluate, and test-drive vehicles, so no one person (or opinion) tends to dominate. Even those of us with many thousands of posts, like me, are only one voice among many. Second, Dave and the moderators are pretty diligent about enforcing the posting rules, and generally deal with any questionable ones, trolls, sales-pitches, attempts to privately or publicly sell vehicles in the wrong CL forums (we have specific channels for that), or ones that appear to have been posted for the wrong motive. In fact, if you suspect one, you can always report it (and reason for reporting) by clicking on the small red triangle in the lower left corner of the post....and the moderators will look at it. Third, even salespeople (and we've had a few on CL) have a right to join in and express their views.....but, if they do carried away and try to misrepresent their product (good luck trying LOL), chances are that it won't be very effective in a forum like this one. One thing I've aways said is that there's no substitute for having not only two ears, but two eyes as well.
Old 01-07-18, 01:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The other part of it is what is the benefit to an individual poster to go to the effort and energy of posting a bunch of fake stuff to increase sales? Why would an individual salesperson take that time and effort when its extremely unlikely anything they post would result in them specifically making a sale, with the forum being a multi-national thing.
Old 01-07-18, 02:38 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read a lot of the reviews, and they're mostly of the F-Sport model when talking about harder suspension. It should also be noted these are pre-production cars that have been put to journalists over the past few months and tested on, so who knows how much of a representation they are to the final model. All of the forum talk is basically meaningless to their sales overall imo.

Last edited by TF109B; 01-07-18 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-07-18, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’ve read and watched numerous reviews of the non F Sport car even with the air suspension.
Old 01-07-18, 03:03 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I’ve read and watched numerous reviews of the non F Sport car even with the air suspension.
And those were still pre-production cars, like I stated. Maybe it won't change and the new LS will be as stiff as a Civic, but somehow I doubt that.
Old 01-07-18, 04:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
And those were still pre-production cars, like I stated. Maybe it won't change and the new LS will be as stiff as a Civic, but somehow I doubt that.
Lexus didn't turn a bunch of preproduction press cars out among the motoring press without having the ride and drive dialed in right, they're not stupid.

Nobody is saying its going to be "as stiff as a Civic", and no reviews have said that, they just say its a very different, more dynamic car than the LS has been historically, which doesn't work for me as a consumer. Hence why I bought one of the last 17 LS460Ls.
Old 01-07-18, 05:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Well, I have not personally driven the new LS but my brother was invited to drive one at the local race track a few months back and he clearly said that even with the runflats, the new gen. LS500 rode considerably better than the outgoing model. He said it was a night and day difference. They also got to drive the new 7-Series, S-Class, A8, and Tesla S. He said the LS was his favorite and the Audi came in second. Mercedes fell way short, BMW was not worth mentioning, and the Tesla was a complete joke in driving dynamics.

This is after several hours on the racecourse with these cars.
Old 01-07-18, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats the first I've heard of that, its certainly encouraging. Although, I wound wonder if he has driven the outgoing car on a smooth racetrack?

I would also question the "night and day difference". I don't see how thats possible, having driven everything in this segment back to back multiple times recently, nothing stands out as riding a "night and day difference" from the outgoing car or any other car in the segment really. For that to be the case the LS500 would have to be far and away the best riding car in the segment, and no reviews would indicate that to be the case.

As an example, this MotorTrend comparison:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/genes...ontinental-30/

Driven back to back with the BMW, Genesis, and Lincoln, the Lexus feels an order of magnitude sportier than the rest of the pack.
The LS 500’s steering is much more new-gen and away from the numb appliances of yore. Sporty, direct, and with a stiffness that will be unfamiliar to the Lexus legions, the LS 500 is a good set of tires away from being a true canyon carver. Our test car’s air suspension sorted out big bumps but struggled with small, high-frequency bumps such as the Botts’ dots that line California lanes. “We’re on pretty new pavement here, and I’m still getting lots of small vibrations from all the little bumps in the road you can’t see from the driver’s seat,” Evans said.
Although the G90 is just a nose behind the LS 500 at the track, it couldn’t feel more different on the road. Everything about the Genesis G90 is as smooth as a Marvin Gaye ballad. Its engine and transmission are particularly noteworthy for how effortless they make the process of driving.
Its ride falls between the 740e and LS 500; it doesn’t have the BMW’s solidity, but it handles bumps both large and small ever so slightly better than the Lexus.
Although its powertrain could perhaps use a bit of fine tuning, the Bimmer’s ride and handling is among the best here. The 740e’s steering is light and direct. The suspension is as adept at minimizing body roll on tight canyon roads as it is eating up strips of the rotten cliffside pavement eroding into the sea. “This is how you do luxury sedan ride and handling,” said associate editor Scott Evans. “The little bumps barely register, and the big ones are one and done. No floatiness at all.”
This is echoed over and over again in reviews.

I haven't driven the LS500, but I have obviously driven the LS460, the G90 and the 7 Series, and I agree with their assessment of the 7 and G90, and I know how I feel they compare to my LS460, ergo I have confidence that the LS500 is firmer riding and sportier than what the LS has been historically.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-07-18 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-07-18, 05:12 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

When Mr Toyoda's grandson took over presidency of TMC in 2009, he stipulated that Toyota will no longer make boring vehicles, and that TMC products will now have inspired styling and inspired dynamics - just like his Maserati that he races at the Nurburgring.

I test drove the latest entry level model GS200t with 17" wheels, and it seems to be just as firmly sprung & damped as my GS350 with electronic variable shock absorbers - though the entry level model uses much more forgiving 17" wheels with taller profile and taller side walled tires.

My GS350 Luxury actually uses the exact same spring, damper and roll bar part numbers as the F Sport model; the latter being different only with wheels, tires, front brakes, rear wheel steering, and software settings for the electronic dampers.

What I really hope with the 5LS is that Lexus uses totally different spring and damper settings for the Luxury as opposed to the F Sport model.
Old 01-07-18, 05:16 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see a lot of that on the CL forums although there might a few posts that come close to fanboyism, ie. never willing to broach any criticism of the brand or its vehicles. What you're referring to is what some companies and organization use in the online world: stealth marketing.

http://www.marketingminefield.co.uk/stealth-marketing/

There are couple of times I thought I saw this on CL in Car Chat and on the vehicle forums with posters who weren't CL sponsers and not identified as such in their signature. One was someone who posted vehicle invoices in their pics and even the dealer plate showing the phone number and location of the vehicles for sale. But given that these were one-off posts, it wasn't worth really complaining about it. The marketing or booster effort would be minimal at best.

For eg. there's a poster who is very enthusiastic about the LS 500 and certainly promotes it but in that person's signature you see that they might be a Lexus marketing type person or a dealership employee. And that's perfectly okay to do that.

The alternative would be to ban anybody who works for Toyota/Lexus and that would not be very helpful, since these folks can also add some valuable insights into new models out in the real world vs just magazine reviewers.
Old 01-07-18, 06:22 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats the first I've heard of that, its certainly encouraging. Although, I wound wonder if he has driven the outgoing car on a smooth racetrack?

I would also question the "night and day difference". I don't see how thats possible, having driven everything in this segment back to back multiple times recently, nothing stands out as riding a "night and day difference" from the outgoing car or any other car in the segment really. For that to be the case the LS500 would have to be far and away the best riding car in the segment, and no reviews would indicate that to be the case.

I haven't driven the LS500, but I have obviously driven the LS460, the G90 and the 7 Series, and I agree with their assessment of the 7 and G90, and I know how I feel they compare to my LS460, ergo I have confidence that the LS500 is firmer riding and sportier than what the LS has been historically.
In Asia, the TTV6 option is mostly not offered, the only choices being the a Hybrid, or the LS350 with the current GS motor. That puts it in a tax bracket disadvantage in Asia, but already much less so than the even larger capacity previous model, but also squarely into the GS class. Discussion on the web is very US centric in relation to the LS500....but I wonder if the main focus might of the LS is indeed to straddle the GS/LS area, which explains its pricing and target market, and also the rumours of the GS's demise.LS500 reviews in Asia seems to summise that while the car is not leader of the pack among the Germans, it is now finally broadly competitive with the other current non-German rivals. Thus it could appeal to customers in that segment. Another point is that those with a GS now who wish to upgrade have a half step option without needing to go all the way with the Germans. In having to build a car for the world markets, it could be the exact bullseye they were aiming for....in other words, not really an S class rival. And potentially for the engine development it seems pointless for them to to have a class leader when only the US market appreciates it.So, it could be that in the so called face off with the Euros Toyota finally blinked. Kia, of course, seem to be heading the opposite way, facing the Germans much more head on. And they certainly has the potential to succeed, over the conservative Toyota strategy, since giving up competing with the Euros would mean no longer a need for the GS, and the Stinger seems more than a plausible car to step up.
Old 01-07-18, 07:31 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

The entire event was based on the upcoming LS500 regular and hybrid versions and comparing them to the 2018 competitor cars....so no it was not the current LS460 model haha.
P.S I specifically asked him how it rode on the runflats because both him and I HATE runflats with a passion and he assured me it rode incredibly well.

This was on the Autobahn Country Club racecourse here in the southern suburbs of Chicago. I am not sure how smooth or rough that track is.

He said the car had a decent amount of body roll and was definitely a pig on the track (I mean it's a huge tank of a car so no surprise there). But acceleration was more than adequate and overall performance is adequate for a vehicle in this class. He had several videos of him driving it as well as some videos of the race instructor really pushing it to the limit, and even I was surprised at how quickly it accelerated.

Last edited by 97-SC300; 01-07-18 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-07-18, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Well, I have not personally driven the new LS but my brother was invited to drive one at the local race track a few months back and he clearly said that even with the runflats, the new gen. LS500 rode considerably better than the outgoing model. He said it was a night and day difference. They also got to drive the new 7-Series, S-Class, A8, and Tesla S. He said the LS was his favorite and the Audi came in second. Mercedes fell way short, BMW was not worth mentioning, and the Tesla was a complete joke in driving dynamics.

This is after several hours on the racecourse with these cars.
good to hear but most will never ever be driven on a race track.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h