Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 08:46 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Lexus didn't turn a bunch of preproduction press cars out among the motoring press without having the ride and drive dialed in right, they're not stupid.

Nobody is saying its going to be "as stiff as a Civic", and no reviews have said that, they just say its a very different, more dynamic car than the LS has been historically, which doesn't work for me as a consumer. Hence why I bought one of the last 17 LS460Ls.
Only I said "stiff as a Civic". I never implied anyone else did. It was me making a joke. The uproar over a car this car that isn't even out yet here is silly. I don't take motortrend's word for it, they've proven to be bias before. At the end of the day, the LS isn't in my price range anyway. I just want Lexus to do well as that can help me in other ways. And I feel based on the overseas pre-sales, this car will be a hit. And yes, things do change from preproduction to actual production. That was my point in saying maybe they change it to be better, or worse- hence the 'Civic' joke.
Old 01-09-18, 11:01 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Only I said "stiff as a Civic". I never implied anyone else did. It was me making a joke. The uproar over a car this car that isn't even out yet here is silly. I don't take motortrend's word for it, they've proven to be bias before. At the end of the day, the LS isn't in my price range anyway. I just want Lexus to do well as that can help me in other ways. And I feel based on the overseas pre-sales, this car will be a hit. And yes, things do change from preproduction to actual production. That was my point in saying maybe they change it to be better, or worse- hence the 'Civic' joke.
Biased is the word. The episode of Head to Head where the LC lost to the Aston because the Aston was better on the road and the LC was better on the track. Their conclusion was being good on the track doesnt matter. Somehow that didnt apply to the RC and GS-F.

It still baffles me how the Hyundai is nipping on the heals of the new LS on the track. Its just a head scratching conclusion and it reeks of Hyundai cutting the bigger marketing check to them.
Old 01-09-18, 11:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

You won't get any uproar from me (I agree with you about that by the way), I'm sure it will be a great car and many people will love it, from what I've seen and read though I think they went in a direction opposite from what I would prefer though...which is fine.
Old 01-09-18, 11:33 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

A very interesting post from Dave600hL, a CL member who has had the LS600hL since 07, also S63 AMG and his parents got the 5LS.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ecutive-2.html
Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I have not driven the car, but interior wise, I have always liked the Lexus better. Styling, obviously is personal preference and I like the S class better. From what I can gather, the ride is very good and extremely smooth, much smoother than the last LS.

And to be honest, its just as I suspected, everybody is blowing this up when its really no big deal.

On one hand we have CL members who haven't driven the 5LS constantly say it is not going to be smooth or luxurious as the 4LS, on the other hand, someone who has both says the opposite?

I think the big question in the end is, will the difference between sport and luxury in the 5LS be wide enough to justify all of these endless pages of pre-judgement without real world experience?
Old 01-09-18, 11:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I saw that, just doesn't jibe with everything else we've read. He actually has not driven the LS500 by the way if you read that thread, its his parents' and that experience was second hand from them. Hence when he says "from what I gather". You can't condemn one side for commenting without driving it and praise somebody else for the same thing just because you like their viewpoint better. Remember when people buy a car theres a rosy honeymoon phase where of course that car is way better than their previous car in every way.

Several things I've read also point to a significant difference between the coil spring car and the air suspension car. If thats the case and they package the 5LS like they do the 4LS, it will be impossible to get one here with the air suspension, and that car is going to be higher priced obviously.

And all you have to do is look at Lexus' other offerings. 4GS stiffer than the 3GS, 3IS stiffer than the 2IS, on and on. It only stands to reason, the 5LS is going to be stiffer than the 4LS. Thats not a bad thing, it just is what it is. In my situation I decided to pull the trigger on one of the last LS460Ls made vs waiting for an LS500 because if I waited for the 500 to be available for me to drive I wouldn't have any selection of cars to choose from. As it is I had to get one from Alabama.

The fact of the matter is, Lexus is clearly moving away from me as a buyer.
Old 01-09-18, 11:45 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

In my situation I decided to pull the trigger on one of the last LS460Ls made vs waiting for an LS500 because if I waited for the 500 to be available for me to drive I wouldn't have any selection of cars to choose from. As it is I had to get one from Alabama.
If it ever shows up, Steve . Keeping my fingers crossed!!
Old 01-09-18, 11:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by comotiger
If it ever shows up, Steve . Keeping my fingers crossed!!
Haha, this is true!
Old 01-09-18, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Haha, this is true!
After signing for a 2017, are you still going to check out a new LS500 at the show? (assuming, of course, that they have one out on the floor, unlocked)
Old 01-09-18, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
After signing for a 2017, are you still going to check out a new LS500 at the show? (assuming, of course, that they have one out on the floor, unlocked)
Oh of course, I'm looking forward to seeing it and driving it.
Old 01-10-18, 03:29 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
And to be honest, its just as I suspected, everybody is blowing this up when its really no big deal.

On one hand we have CL members who haven't driven the 5LS constantly say it is not going to be smooth or luxurious as the 4LS, on the other hand, someone who has both says the opposite?

I think the big question in the end is, will the difference between sport and luxury in the 5LS be wide enough to justify all of these endless pages of pre-judgement without real world experience?
Toyota President declares 'No more boring cars'.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/t...ing-cars.3050/

https://carbuzz.com/news/toyota-ceo-...ng-boring-cars

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ngs/101502702/

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-10-18 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-13-18, 06:41 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like some markets like China will get the LS500h and the LS350 with the hybrid pitched as the premium option. The LS350 has a 3.5 liter normally aspirated engine similar to the one in the GS.

I'm surprised why the LS500 isn't being sold there because the engine size doesn't put it into the highest import duty bracket. So for those complaining about there being no V8, count your lucky stars that you've still got a turbo V6
Old 01-14-18, 05:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I got an email from the local dealer to stay tuned the vehicle is coming. But it in no way looks like a Lexus sanctioned launch event etc., looks more like sales hype. These are big boys who are going to sign on the dotted line for this vehicle, imho there needs to be some marketing behind it. Ipad give aways, Flyers tickets, golf clubs, etc., fancy hors d'oeuvres....like the competition
Old 01-14-18, 06:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Just noticed on a video where the reviewer was driving in the rain....that pivot on the driver windshield wiper arm is gone....wooohoo!! I always found that to be an oddity on my 3rd gen LS....usually see that on RVs and buses....

edit it can be seen here on the LS460 as well

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-LS460-...pZ6fzP&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-14-18 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-14-18, 07:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Just noticed on a video where the reviewer was driving in the rain....that pivot on the driver windshield wiper arm is gone....wooohoo!! I always found that to be an oddity on my 3rd gen LS....usually see that on RVs and buses....

edit it can be seen here on the LS460 as well

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-LS460-...pZ6fzP&vxp=mtr
Yes it is gone. I actually really like that pivot in the arm lol, one other thing that makes me sad about the LS500. No more power seatbelt height either.
Old 01-15-18, 12:56 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If you honestly read 'no more boring cars' as evidence that Lexus is ditching Luxury entirely, then you probably have a lot more articles to read.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h