Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 11:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Cool, just as we expected.
I was wrong (wish others would admit they were). I thought closer to $85-90. Wonder if Genesis is on the mind of Lexus execs as the starting price is actually lower than the LWB current model.
Old 01-15-18, 11:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I'm sure, as well as the relative weakness of the segment in general.

I'm interested to see how the optioned pricing compares to 2017. Mine was $89,400, I have the semi-aniline leather, ML audio, air suspension, upgrade wheels, RWD. My guess is a comparable 2018 will be ~ $5k less.
Old 01-15-18, 11:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure, as well as the relative weakness of the segment in general.

I'm interested to see how the optioned pricing compares to 2017. Mine was $89,400, I have the semi-aniline leather, ML audio, air suspension, upgrade wheels, RWD. My guess is a comparable 2018 will be ~ $5k less.
I would post a link. But to hard on mobile phone. Google LS500 and it should show. I think there is an option $25K for executive pack.
Old 01-15-18, 11:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I found the article. It has several packages but there will be standalone options too I'm sure.

Here's the link: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...mpetitive.html

For instance, do you have to get the luxury package at $12k to get ML audio and air suspension? That also includes power rear seats, etc. My car for instance does not have the UL package that includes the power rear seats, but I have ML and the air suspension. The LS500 looks to have a similar arrangement, power rear seats as an option then an executive package with the fully reclining seat, etc. 460 was the same way.
Old 01-15-18, 02:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

I have the semi-aniline leather, ML audio, air suspension, upgrade wheels, RWD.
awesome config... wondering, did you have air suspension on previous ones and if not, how much of a difference do you notice? obviously the longer wheelbase will change the ride equation also.
Old 01-15-18, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
awesome config... wondering, did you have air suspension on previous ones and if not, how much of a difference do you notice? obviously the longer wheelbase will change the ride equation also.
So, the 400 and 430 had air, the 460 did not. The air suspension is cool, it doesn’t really make the ride softer, but it’s more refined with less rebound, no vibrations or feedback, makes cornering much flatter. The length makes the ride much flatter and more refined.Overall I’m a fan. Let’s see how I feel when I get a several thousand dollar repair bill LOL
Old 01-15-18, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

So, the 400 and 430 had air, the 460 did not. The air suspension is cool, it doesn’t really make the ride softer, but it’s more refined with less rebound, no vibrations or feedback, makes cornering much flatter. The length makes the ride much flatter and more refined.Overall I’m a fan. Let’s see how I feel when I get a several thousand dollar repair bill LOL

Well, if you keep leasing, you probably won't have any non-warranty repairs (except for accident or abuse). The Lexus Bumper-to-Bumper warranty (along with Infiniti, Acura, Lincoln, Buick, and Cadillac) is 4 years/50,000 miles.
Old 01-28-18, 08:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So I saw the car in person tonight at the DC car show. It was up on a turntable, but all the doors on the drivers side were open. Overall I like the styling more in person than in pictures, the C pillar area for instance doesn't look strange at all in person IMHO. The paint was the new Manganese Luster and it was sharp. The interior materials looked good from what I could see, but the interior does appear tighter than mine, floor mats are smaller (smaller floor area), tighter in the rear with the seats reclined, etc. Roof seems much lower.

Overall though, IMHO the car lacks the presence other flagship sedans have, IMHO it actually looks smaller than my car, and even narrower...the people I was with that had just been driven down to the show in my car agreed with me. Very pretty car, but dare I say it could be an ES? The nose sits low, and the hood is low and short which I think is part of it, used to seeing flagship sedans with long hoods and upright, blunt front ends.

I'll be going back to the show at least once, if not twice and will spend more time with it. Mercedes wasn't at the show, but BMW was and the 7 was, and IMHO the 7 appeared much bigger, more substantial and grander...and walking back up to my LS460L IMHO it did as well.
Old 01-28-18, 08:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So I saw the car in person tonight at the DC car show. It was up on a turntable, but all the doors on the drivers side were open. Overall I like the styling more in person than in pictures, the C pillar area for instance doesn't look strange at all in person IMHO. The paint was the new Manganese Luster and it was sharp. The interior materials looked good from what I could see, but the interior does appear tighter than mine, floor mats are smaller (smaller floor area), tighter in the rear with the seats reclined, etc. Roof seems much lower.

Overall though, IMHO the car lacks the presence other flagship sedans have, IMHO it actually looks smaller than my car, and even narrower...the people I was with that had just been driven down to the show in my car agreed with me. Very pretty car, but dare I say it could be an ES? The nose sits low, and the hood is low and short which I think is part of it, used to seeing flagship sedans with long hoods and upright, blunt front ends.

I'll be going back to the show at least once, if not twice and will spend more time with it. Mercedes wasn't at the show, but BMW was and the 7 was, and IMHO the 7 appeared much bigger, more substantial and grander...and walking back up to my LS460L IMHO it did as well.
Thanks for the update. It will be interesting how it looks in person and especially in traffic. Seems Toyota is going lower on all their cars and this is no exception.

Was Mercedes Benz really completely absent from the show?
Old 01-28-18, 08:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Thanks for the update. It will be interesting how it looks in person and especially in traffic. Seems Toyota is going lower on all their cars and this is no exception.

Was Mercedes Benz really completely absent from the show?
Yeah it really does look low.

Yeah! I was shocked about Mercedes not being there, I can't remember them ever not being there. No Cadillac either.
Old 01-28-18, 09:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah it really does look low.

Yeah! I was shocked about Mercedes not being there, I can't remember them ever not being there. No Cadillac either.
That is a stunning omission for both MB and Cadillac not to be there. Is this show a large show? I plan to go to the Toronto Show again this year. I enjoyed it as I had not been there for a long time. Last year no Tesla and same for this year. All of the Bentley, Rolls etc etc are all used and from a private dealer. But every manufacturer is present.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-28-18 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 09:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah it’s a big show, two whole floors. It’s about as big a show can be without being one of the big industry shows.

Ive never known Mercedes or Cadillac to be absent.
Old 01-28-18, 10:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's the D.C. floor-plan, for those interested. Steve is correct...Caddy and Mercedes stayed at home this year.

The Lexus display, including the new LS500, is downstairs, near the bottom of the down-escalator/steps.

https://www.washingtonautoshow.com/s...fo/floor-maps/

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-28-18 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 07:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Yeah it’s a big show, two whole floors. It’s about as big a show can be without being one of the big industry shows.

Ive never known Mercedes or Cadillac to be absent.
It would b interesting to know the reasons for MB and Caddy to not be there. I'm sure they had their internal reasons, but surprising two brands like that are absent.
Old 01-29-18, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It would b interesting to know the reasons for MB and Caddy to not be there. I'm sure they had their internal reasons, but surprising two brands like that are absent.
Yeah, I really don't know. Like I said I have never known them to be absent from the DC show. Both have strong dealer networks in the area (its a show run by the dealers association)

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h