Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 08:25 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I took some shots of the LS500 at the D.C. show today, up on the turntable. Steve is correct that the new LS looks somewhat shorter and more truncated than the old version, even if it is not. These are not the best pictures, but my cell-phone is rather old, and the lighting at the D.C. show is generally not conducive to good camera-shots.
Pic quality looked like a brochure from the 80's
Old 02-02-18, 02:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The tiny metal dots (seek.track, radio, media) below the HVAC are attractive and out of the way.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-03-18 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-18, 05:58 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The latest review on the LS 500 in F Sport AWD trim this time. Curb weight for some reason here is 4900 lbs - do they actually weigh these cars or do they just take manufacturer specs? Split opinions but generally favorable depending on who the editor was.

They seemed to dwell a lot on the LC 500, sort of saying well the LS should drive closer to the LC, hmm. One guy says it's not sporty enough, the other says he drove it in ECO mode and liked the luxury. Gripes about its transmission again, but this is likely a ECU reflash for tuning the transmission's shift points and general reaction times.

The ultimate Lexus, and the one that launched the brand, the LS was completely redesigned for the 2018 model year. It introduced an aggressive version of the famous (infamous?) "spindle" grille, a swoopy interior, and went to a completely V6-powered lineup, the fully gas-powered model featuring a twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter engine. Not only that, but it adopted the platform of the stunning Lexus LC 500.

With all that in mind, the LS 500 sounds like it's got the potential to not only be a first-class luxury cruiser, but may have even gained some of the LC 500's sporting expertise. To find out, we spent some time in an all-wheel-drive model with the F Sport package, which adds a meaner-looking grille, sporty seats and the trick sliding gauge ring to remind us of the LFA supercar that first used such a cluster. The only thing it lacks is the handling upgrades exclusive to the rear-drive gas-only LS.

Associate Editor Joel Stocksdale: I love the Lexus LC 500, like, a lot. It was my favorite car I drove last year because it has the perfect combination of style, comfort and performance. So knowing that the LS has LC roots, I was excited to drive it, hoping it would basically be a four-door version of that car.

It certainly looks the part. Though not the gorgeous beast the LC is, it's still a looker. It's aggressive and intimidating, particularly with the black F Sport grille. And when you get in, you're greeted by hip-hugging leather seats and a flashy instrument cluster. Everything around you is leather, suede or metal in really interesting, unique shapes that make this Lexus feel like something different and special to most luxury cars. I particularly like the floating arm rest/grab handles in the doors.

But things fall apart with the driving experience. The twin-turbo V6, although plenty powerful, doesn't sound nearly as lovely as the growling V8 monster in the LC. It also has really sluggish throttle response, and the gearbox doesn't shift as quickly and crisply as in the LC, even in Sport+ mode. The steering refuses to tell you anything either, feels too light, and what weight exists feels very artificial. The ride quality also doesn't quite seem to know if it wants to be La-Z-Boy cushy or sports sedan firm. It's a shame, too, because there are brief moments in quick corners when the car starts to feel more confident — it's just let down most other places by other bits and pieces. But hey, at least it looks great.

Senior Editor, Green, John Beltz Snyder: My, this is a beautiful car, especially on the inside. The design is bold, and unlike anything other brands are doing. It might not be everyone's cup of tea (just like that grille), but I find it to be excellently and elegantly executed. The floating armrests that Joel mentions are eye-catching and modern. The way the door trim panels look layered, almost as though they're being peeled away one by one, is something that seems straight out of an auto-show concept car, but it works here in this production model. I also love the lines that swoop all the way across the dash and appear mirrored in the stitching of the door trim.

The way the controls are incorporated into the design is interesting, as well. They're different than a lot of cars — especially the haptic touchpad infotainment interface — but they're worth getting used to for the unique look they afford. I dig the twist/push controls for drive modes and traction control located up on the sides of the instrument cluster. The tiny metal dots below the HVAC controls are useful, attractive and out of the way. I'd have never thought up a design like this in a million years, but I'm glad someone did.

While I agree with Joel's assessment of the drive experience (if you want a great twin-turbo V6, check out the Cadillac XTS V-Sport we drove recently), I honestly don't care that it's not an exciting car to drive, despite the engine under the hood. It creates a comfortable space that'll cruise comfortably and quickly to your destination. In style, no less. I just plopped it in Eco Mode, fired up the cruise control, and enjoyed my surroundings.
Source
Old 02-03-18, 06:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Although I do not like Autoblog, it sounds like Le us nailed the interior.
Old 02-03-18, 07:20 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ironically, the two editors who are reviewing this car are essentially young Gen-Xers or older Millenialls. This is a tie-back to the thread about Lexus marketing to younger people. That's something to remember. Here, both are on social media and more importantly have big online followings that allow them to contribute as bloggers/editors. The vast majority of older people don't blog or tell you about their lives etc.

So the LS is being judged by young people who know all about html, css, javascript and leverage online for messaging and opinion. This is where car companies need to make sure they get it right.
Old 02-04-18, 05:37 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I knew the performance of this engine would be way less than what's being advertised. MT or someone did a test and it wasn't any quicker than the old V8 according to their numbers. Yet, MB's new S450 with a 362 HP V6 tested faster the 415 HP Lexus in the test I read. Again, both are REAL tests, not manufacturer's claimed, which Lexus tends to greatly overstate.

Lexus needs a new REAL engine. One that performs well, yet is smooth, refined and reliable. Not some over-hyped engine that doesn't do anything well.
Old 02-04-18, 06:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I knew the performance of this engine would be way less than what's being advertised. MT or someone did a test and it wasn't any quicker than the old V8 according to their numbers. Yet, MB's new S450 with a 362 HP V6 tested faster the 415 HP Lexus in the test I read. Again, both are REAL tests, not manufacturer's claimed, which Lexus tends to greatly overstate.

Lexus needs a new REAL engine. One that performs well, yet is smooth, refined and reliable. Not some over-hyped engine that doesn't do anything well.
You really need to check the facts. Car & Driver test results from the MB S550 were slower than the Mercedes Benz manufactured claim.
Old 02-04-18, 07:02 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Old 02-04-18, 07:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Old 02-04-18, 07:33 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus just needs a good engine. One that is smooth, powerful, refined, reliable and actually performs as advertised. Why they can’t produce one is beyond me.

And the new S560 with the new 4.0 liter V8 tt is faster than advertised too I’m sure. It’s quicker than the 4.7 liter V8 tt it replaces.

Old 02-04-18, 07:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Lexus just needs a good engine. One that is smooth, powerful, refined, reliable and actually performs as advertised. Why they can’t produce one is beyond me.

There is nothing wrong with it. Lexus states in their disclaimer that their results are based on pro drivers on prototype models on a closed course using premium fuel or even higher. I have no issues with you arguing the engine, but they are not lying about anything. Less than a half second is nothing to be upset about
Old 02-04-18, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

And again, the argument over 1/2 second 0-60 in a 4,900 lb luxury sedan is just absurd. Its not what this car is about in any way shape or form. Very few of them will ever even see full throttle.
Old 02-04-18, 07:43 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

So does Mercedes. If you look at their pdf catalog they also list disclaimers on their cataloged performance numbers.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...18-S-Class.pdf

It’s no different than Lexus, but why there is such a huge real-world disparity is beyond me.

Old 02-04-18, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Absolutely nobody is going to say "Wow, I would have bought an LS500 if MT was able to get 4.5 seconds 0-60". If you care about that, you wouldn't even be considering this car.

We get it, you've posted this exact same thing over, and over and over again. Tiresome.
Old 02-04-18, 08:01 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Just because an attribute isn’t important to you doesn’t mean it’s not important.

We also get it that you don’t care about this as you constantly come into these stating the same thing.

The MT test was the first real test I think and I haven’t talked about it much, but that test was the first real numbers to come out.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h