Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-18, 12:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
wasnt the GSh hybrid prices as an alternative to the GS460 at the time?
On the 3GS the hybrid was quicker than the V8. On the 4GS, Lexus re-tuned the engine to run on both Otto and Atkinson cycles, which increased economy but lost power. Currently the price discrepancy speaking from a base GS300 starts at $46K, whereas the GS450h starts at $63K. The NXh, ESh, and LCh are $2-4K more than their traditional ICE counterparts. If Lexus wants to sell more hybrids or get more serious, then this is a step in the right direction.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
If there is another GS....
It's being built under the 300B programme code, which CMK1 and I have been telling all the naysayers for almost a year now
Old 02-04-18, 12:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
On the 3GS the hybrid was quicker than the V8. On the 4GS, Lexus re-tuned the engine to run on both Otto and Atkinson cycles, which increased economy but lost power. Currently the price discrepancy speaking from a base GS300 starts at $46K, whereas the GS450h starts at $63K. The NXh, ESh, and LCh are $2-4K more than their traditional ICE counterparts. If Lexus wants to sell more hybrids or get more serious, then this is a step in the right direction.

It's being built under the 300B programme code, which CMK1 and I have been telling all the naysayers for almost a year now
always thought the current GSh was mostly a carry over engine option. On paper the GSh matches performance with the V8 GS models that were discontinued

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-04-18 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 12:52 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

GS450h I has NiCad with bigger electric motor, while GS450h II has NiMh with smaller electric motor.
I almost bought GS450h II for bottom end torque and economy, but could not get past trunk space, extra weight, and price that will take a long time to recuperate.
Old 02-04-18, 12:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
GS450h I has NiCad with bigger electric motor, while GS450h II has NiMh with smaller electric motor.
I almost bought GS450h II for bottom end torque and economy, but could not get past trunk space, extra weight, and price that will take a long time to recuperate.
ok. Was there must difference in the performance?
Old 02-04-18, 12:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

always thought the current GSh was most a carry over engine option. On paper the GSh matches performance with the V8 GS models that were discontinued

3GSh had 342 total system hp and aggressive Otto cycle. 3GS V8 had 340hp. When Lexus released the 3GSh, they had a track day that pitted 450h against 460. They'd ask which was quicker before driving and folks would always say the V8. They are close in performance, but the 450h edges 460 in acceleration. 460 would get it at higher speeds.

The 4GSh has 338 total system power with the addition of Atkinson cycle. It does feel slower than the 3GSh (not by much), though partly because efficiency over performance. It gained 7/9/8 mpg up from 22/25/23 to 29/34/31.
Old 02-04-18, 07:02 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
No hybrid electric vehicle that I know of ever used a nickel-cadmium (NiCd / NiCad) battery. NiCd batteries have charge / discharge attributes that would not suit hybrid use -- they have to be fully discharged regularly, otherwise the charge memory problem will no longer allow for full charges.

The Gen1 GS 450h used a nickel metal-hydride (NiMH) battery pack, not a NiCd battery pack. The Gen2 GS 450h also uses a NiMH battery pack.
Old 02-04-18, 08:47 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
3GSh had 342 total system hp and aggressive Otto cycle. 3GS V8 had 340hp. When Lexus released the 3GSh, they had a track day that pitted 450h against 460. They'd ask which was quicker before driving and folks would always say the V8. They are close in performance, but the 450h edges 460 in acceleration. 460 would get it at higher speeds.

The 4GSh has 338 total system power with the addition of Atkinson cycle. It does feel slower than the 3GSh (not by much), though partly because efficiency over performance. It gained 7/9/8 mpg up from 22/25/23 to 29/34/31.
After the impressive 3GS 'hybrid’ I was very disappointed Lexus did not continue to develop the performance hybrid with the 4GS and 3IS. Anyhow that void can now be filled by the BMW 330e/530e, and sporting feel maintained with their simple 8 speed gearbox with the electric motor replacing the torque converter.
Old 02-05-18, 12:02 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Lexus can't seem to figure out what they want their Hybrids to be. It is clear the lower end hybrids are geared towards FE, like the ESh and NXh and ISh overseas. The GSh, LSh and even the LCh are neither fast, engaging or fuel efficient. People spending upwards of $75k to over $100k, on a car no less, probably wouldnt care about spending a few extra bucks at the pump. Anybody that spends over $100k on a hybrid like the LC will NOT want a slow hybrid. I dont care what anyone says about environmentally friendliness then goes and buys a sports car.
Old 02-05-18, 01:57 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by situman
Lexus can't seem to figure out what they want their Hybrids to be. It is clear the lower end hybrids are geared towards FE, like the ESh and NXh and ISh overseas. The GSh, LSh and even the LCh are neither fast, engaging or fuel efficient. People spending upwards of $75k to over $100k, on a car no less, probably wouldnt care about spending a few extra bucks at the pump. Anybody that spends over $100k on a hybrid like the LC will NOT want a slow hybrid. I dont care what anyone says about environmentally friendliness then goes and buys a sports car.

Regarding what is slow and what is fast is a series of each individuals opinion. I have a AMG that does 0-60 in 3.6 secs and I have buddy’s with cars much faster than that and they can laugh and can call my car slow. I think anything in the 0-60 in 5.5 sec range or less is fast especially for a mass produce daily driver type of vehicle. It also depends what the individuals inside the car are use to. Some might call my Porsche Cayman S a fast car even though I don’t consider it really that fast by modern standards.

I don’t have the sales numbers on hand, but I think Lexus Europe sales were up for the 2017 Calendar year. I think Lexus only sales the GS in the UK as a hybrid and I believe that’s the same for the RX as well. My point is they may not be big sellers for us North Americans. But in Japan, China and Europe the Hybrids out sale the all gas models. They discontinued the CT200h and HS250h here, but both of those models are still selling in other markets. The GS is offered as with a 4 cylinder 300h and 6 cylinder 450h in other markets. And they even offer the IS as a hybrid in Europe, since they don’t sell the ES300h in Europe. The new LCh and LSh aren’t bad cars in my opinion based on what journalists have reported (I have yet to drive either). I think more people would buy here in North America if the price differential was less. Mercedes, Audi and BMW are all introducing mild hybrids versions of their full-size luxury cars in select China, Europe and California.

Last edited by highrev6; 02-05-18 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-05-18, 02:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Lexus can't seem to figure out what they want their Hybrids to be.
so true.

People spending upwards of $75k to over $100k, on a car no less, probably wouldnt care about spending a few extra bucks at the pump.
wouldn't say wouldn't care, i've met plenty of irrational rich people who will drop 6 figures on something and complain about 10c increase in gas.

plus, why do bmw and mercedes have these fairly unimpressive hybrid models too which are far from cheap? i always figured it was just to confuse the market, to gain some eco brownie points and throw off lexus by being able to see 'look, we do that too'.
Old 02-05-18, 03:01 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know what you consider to be slow but let me tell you that my ESh is definitely NOT slow. I can very quickly and quite effortlessly reach extra-legal speeds if I am not careful.

It may not be RC-F fast, but I definitely have no concerns about keeping up with traffic; that is good enough for me and good enough for the heavy urban traffic I drive in.
Old 02-05-18, 03:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,865 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I don't know what you consider to be slow but let me tell you that my ESh is definitely NOT slow. I can very quickly and quite effortlessly reach extra-legal speeds if I am not careful.

It may not be RC-F fast, but I definitely have no concerns about keeping up with traffic; that is good enough for me and good enough for the heavy urban traffic I drive in.
On Club Lexus if a car doesn't do 0-60 in 3.1 seconds or less it is considered slow.
Old 02-05-18, 07:24 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
On Club Lexus if a car doesn't do 0-60 in 3.1 seconds or less it is considered slow.
Well Euro spec 4GSh is mid 6s due to gearing adjustments compared to US spec
Old 02-05-18, 11:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well Euro spec 4GSh is mid 6s due to gearing adjustments compared to US spec
and nobody ever called it slow in Europe
Old 02-06-18, 06:59 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
That's not the point. Its neither fast or particularly fuel efficient. Mixed messages.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h