Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 12:40 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so true.

wouldn't say wouldn't care, i've met plenty of irrational rich people who will drop 6 figures on something and complain about 10c increase in gas.

plus, why do bmw and mercedes have these fairly unimpressive hybrid models too which are far from cheap? i always figured it was just to confuse the market, to gain some eco brownie points and throw off lexus by being able to see 'look, we do that too'.
I think European politicians are forcing them to offer them even though they clearly don't sell.
Old 02-06-18, 04:55 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
That's not the point. Its neither fast or particularly fuel efficient. Mixed messages.
This is my biggest complaint with Lexus. My IS350 is slow when you compare it to the comparable German cars with 4 cylinder turbos that rate 66hp less. It wouldn’t be an issue if I got good gas mileage but I am averaging right under 18mpg and that’s on eco mode and not driving aggressive. For the gas mileage I am getting it should be faster.
Old 02-06-18, 05:05 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
That's not the point. Its neither fast or particularly fuel efficient. Mixed messages.
I agree.

I don't know if it was here or at Lexus Enthusiast, but there were a few people who kept arguing that this new engine would be as good and as fast as competitor's V8s. Ok. Even more people just couldn't believe that it will be much slower than whatever Lexus says it would. I think that discussion was here, but again, ok...

No idea why Lexus decided to go this route: build an oddball V6 engine in regards to displacement that has way, way, way, way more bark than bite. Numbers looks impressive, seems impressive, but is a dud.

They should have developed a 3.0 Liter V6 and 4.0 Liter V8 concurrently, but that ship has long since sailed. Too slow and too far behind at this point.

There was also arguments about the purported 4.0 V8tt coming out. I say no and people were up in arms. I still stand by that and I'm sure time will prove me right; Toyota and Lexus just can't build good engines anymore. That's also why I think the Supra is taking so long to release: crappy, slow engines upon real-world initial testing.
Old 02-06-18, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I agree.

I don't know if it was here or at Lexus Enthusiast, but there were a few people who kept arguing that this new engine would be as good and as fast as competitor's V8s. Ok. Even more people just couldn't believe that it will be much slower than whatever Lexus says it would. I think that discussion was here, but again, ok...

No idea why Lexus decided to go this route: build an oddball V6 engine in regards to displacement that has way, way, way, way more bark than bite. Numbers looks impressive, seems impressive, but is a dud.

They should have developed a 3.0 Liter V6 and 4.0 Liter V8 concurrently, but that ship has long since sailed. Too slow and too far behind at this point.

There was also arguments about the purported 4.0 V8tt coming out. I say no and people were up in arms. I still stand by that and I'm sure time will prove me right; Toyota and Lexus just can't build good engines anymore. That's also why I think the Supra is taking so long to release: crappy, slow engines upon real-world initial testing.

From what I understand, Toyota and BMW are also co-ordinating the design.
Old 02-06-18, 06:01 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I don’t want to go too off topic, but I think Toyota was embarrassed that the new Supra was going to have a BMW engine, which is sacrilege imo. Which circles back to my argument that Toyota and Lexus just flat out can’t build a good engine if this rumor has any weight to it and also explain why all of their latest engines are lackluster duds.

So maybe they tried using some existing engine, modified, in the Supra considering the embarrassing backlash a BMW engine in such an iconic car would have as it would confirm Toyota can’t build good engines. However, upon testing, they discovered that’s it’s really, really slow and they’re desperately trying to fix it.

So, they are now in a catch-22 as either scenario just proves that they really can’t build decent engines. Damned if they do; damned if they don’t.
Old 02-06-18, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I don’t want to go too off topic, but I think Toyota was embarrassed that the new Supra was going to have a BMW engine, which is sacrilege imo. Which circles back to my argument that Toyota and Lexus just flat out can’t build a good engine if this rumor has any weight to it and also explain why all of their latest engines are lackluster duds.

So maybe they tried using some existing engine, modified, in the Supra considering the embarrassing backlash a BMW engine in such an iconic car would have as it would confirm Toyota can’t build good engines. However, upon testing, they discovered that’s it’s really, really slow and they’re desperately trying to fix it.

So, they are now in a catch-22 as either scenario just proves that they really can’t build decent engines. Damned if they do; damned if they don’t.

While I respect your view, IMO, Toyota does build good engines, even if they don't have the most HP/torque per liter. Of course, there have been a few exceptions here and there, like the sludge/gel problems in the old 3.0L V6. But, in general, Toyota engines last.....in fact, most of the time, given proper care and service, they outlast most of the rest of the car.
Old 02-06-18, 06:12 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well like the stock market, past performance is no guarantee of future results. I had more problems with my Lexus than my current car. I think that reliability is more historic reputation than current reality for today’s Lexus.
Old 02-06-18, 06:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Well like the stock market, past performance is no guarantee of future results. I had more problems with my Lexus than my current car. I think that reliability is more historic reputation than current reality for today’s Lexus.
Disagree. Toyota and Lexus reliability are the real deal. Same with Honda.
Old 02-06-18, 06:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I think the issue is that what you think "is good" and what Toyota/Lexus think "is good" are at odds. Which is fine, just buy something else. I don't understand the point of continuing to argue about it when clearly, Toyota and Lexus has plenty of consumers who buy their products and thus logically think their engines "are good". You don't, hence why you no longer own one. Case closed.

What metric are you using to back this statement up, other than your own anti Toyota/Lexus bias? What "current Lexus" vehicles are displaying initial unreliability that would lead you to believe that they won't live up to Lexus historical reputation for reliability?

You don't like the brand or its cars, fine. What I don't understand is why so much effort is put towards continually telling us all the same reasons why you don't over and over again. I'm a car guy who likes talking about cars, I don't however go on forums for cars I don't own or like and post about how I no longer own them or like them. I had Jeeps, and posted on their forums. I don't any longer and no longer post. I had a Kia and posted on that forum, I don't any longer and no longer post. That car I have a new replacement car I much prefer to the Kia, but why would I continually go back to the Kia forum and post about how I don't like the way Kia does certain things? I post on the forum for the Pacifica...which is what I now own.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-06-18 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 06:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think the issue is that what you think "is good" and what Toyota/Lexus think "is good" are at odds. Which is fine, just buy something else. I don't understand the point of continuing to argue about it when clearly, Toyota and Lexus has plenty of consumers who buy their products and thus logically think their engines "are good". You don't, hence why you no longer own one. Case closed.

What metric are you using to back this statement up, other than your own anti Toyota/Lexus bias? What "current Lexus" vehicles are displaying initial unreliability that would lead you to believe that they won't live up to Lexus historical reputation for reliability?

You don't like the brand or its cars, fine. What I don't understand is why so much effort is put towards continually telling us all the same reasons why you don't over and over again. I'm a car guy who likes talking about cars, I don't however go on forums for cars I don't own or like and post about how I no longer own them or like them. I had Jeeps, and posted on their forums. I don't any longer and no longer post. I had a Kia and posted on that forum, I don't any longer and no longer post. That car I have a new replacement car I much prefer to the Kia, but why would I continually go back to the Kia forum and post about how I don't like the way Kia does certain things? I post on the forum for the Pacifica...which is what I now own.
Perhaps the poster is a young fan boy who is not quite old enough to buy a car? Or maybe the parents didn’t buy the Lexus but bought a Chevrolet instead? But yes, I have no idea why they continue to go on and on about it.
Old 02-06-18, 06:53 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

You’re right, what’s good to me is subjective and I regretted buying that Lexus.

It was the most boring, bland, dull grandpa car I’ve ever owned. The manufacturer-claimed 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds gave me a false sense that the car would be somewhat fast at least. Nope. That’s why I mock and laugh at all of their numbers.

That plush experience quickly gave way to why did I buy this snoozefest. This was the first car I dumped in a years time.

I come here because this forum is lively and it’s easy to get a response. Heck we have forum moderators here that don’t even drive Lexus’ as far as I can tell. If you don’t like my opinions then ignore me and/or don’t respond.
Old 02-06-18, 07:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You’re right, what’s good to me is subjective and I regretted buying that Lexus.

It was the most boring, bland, dull grandpa car I’ve ever owned. The manufacturer-claimed 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds gave me a false sense that the car would be somewhat fast at least. Nope. That’s why I mock and laugh at all of their numbers.

That plush experience quickly gave way to why did I buy this snoozefest. This was the first car I dumped in a years time.

I come here because this forum is lively and it’s easy to get a response. Heck we have forum moderators here that don’t even drive Lexus’ as far as I can tell. If you don’t like my opinions then ignore me and/or don’t respond.

I think I am gonna like the new LS. It’s interesting in that Lexus IS goning away from what they used to do with their past LS models. Too bad no V12 tho.
Old 02-06-18, 07:05 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Or is this a case of "the person doth protest too much?"

Perhaps the poster is insecure in his new car purchase so tries to convince himself that he made the right decision by posting incessantly about how terrible his old car was.

If he can convince the entire CL community to turn against Lexus, he will finally find peace with his decision to change cars.

Insecurity can be a terrible mistress.
Old 02-06-18, 07:09 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

No, quite the contrary. I’m here to convince people of their impending mistakes. I made a gigantic one, but there’s still hope for others and don’t be fooled by Lexus’ claimed numbers...
Old 02-06-18, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No offense, but maybe (just maybe) that car was trying to tell you something....might be time to listen. There's a lot more to life (even while driving) than 5.4-second 0-60 times, particularly in today's dense stop-and-go traffic.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h