Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 07:12 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Or is this a case of "the person doth protest too much?"

Perhaps the poster is insecure in his new car purchase so tries to convince himself that he made the right decision by posting incessantly about how terrible his old car was.

If he can convince the entire CL community to turn against Lexus, he will finally find peace with his decision to change cars.

Insecurity can be a terrible mistress.
My thoughts exactly. Well said.
Old 02-06-18, 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
My thoughts exactly. Well said.
I back this ^^^ up as well. 👍
Old 02-06-18, 07:20 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It was terrible. I couldn’t get rid of that car fast enough. I never walked away from a car one year in before. I’m bitter I even got it.

And if you really think the old LS is better than the S7. Please. There’s no comparison. The only thing I regret is getting that Lexus to begin with.
Old 02-06-18, 07:24 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
It was terrible. I couldn’t get rid of that car fast enough. I never walked away from a car one year in before. I’m bitter I even got it.

And if you really think the old LS is better than the S7. Please. There’s no comparison. The only thing I regret is getting that Lexus to begin with.
Have you seen the new LS in person, touched it and sat in it, and driven it? If you have not, how can you say it is so bad? Your credibility just went out the window.
Old 02-06-18, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I think the bottom line is, cars have different personalities, and what one person likes in a car others don't like. People say the LS has never had any personality, I don't really agree. Its traditionally been an understated, very smooth, quiet and refined car that takes age and miles incredibly well. That dependability is in and of itself a personality. The characteristics that make one person run away from the LS are exactly what has always drawn me to it. I love just wafting down the road at 80 MPH in silence with the road just slipping underneath me. A few months ago we were about 70 miles from home out on the bay for the day, me and some friends from work and my business partner. He had stopped drinking before me, and he drove us back to our office in my LS, he had never driven one before (he's a "personality" guy). He was bowled over by the experience of driving it, he loved it. Something to be said for "boring" in the right set of circumstances.

Now, this new LS has attempted to inject some of what people typically consider "personality" into the car, and personally that injection drove me away from the car but I could see how it would potentially attract other people. I'm not kidding when I say I would much rather have my LS than an S7 or an AMG E Class or an M5. I wouldn't even consider any of those cars. Maybe for somebody like my partner it retains enough of what wowed him on that highway drive back to DC while giving him enough "personality" to get him through the day to day? I'm interested to see how it does, and I'm interested to see how the sorts of buyers differ from what we've seen here with the previous cars.

Whats really interesting is having driven the latest crop of cars from MB, BMW and Audi, those cars have less "personality" than they have ever had IMHO. The 7 Series is one of the softest rides in the segment, the new A8 is very nondescript, and other Audis I've driven, A6s, the Q line of SUVs...are quite "boring" (and I quite like them). Its interesting to see Lexus embrace "personality" at the same time everybody else seems to be running away from it.
Old 02-06-18, 07:31 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Well, I don’t want to go too off topic, but I think Toyota was embarrassed that the new Supra was going to have a BMW engine, which is sacrilege imo. Which circles back to my argument that Toyota and Lexus just flat out can’t build a good engine if this rumor has any weight to it and also explain why all of their latest engines are lackluster duds.

So maybe they tried using some existing engine, modified, in the Supra considering the embarrassing backlash a BMW engine in such an iconic car would have as it would confirm Toyota can’t build good engines. However, upon testing, they discovered that’s it’s really, really slow and they’re desperately trying to fix it.

So, they are now in a catch-22 as either scenario just proves that they really can’t build decent engines. Damned if they do; damned if they don’t.
From all indications the Supra will get the BMW engines 2.0 4cyl and B58 3.0 inline 6 with 340-360hp with some minor Toyota parts - very similar to the Subaru Boxer engine in the GT86 with minimal input from Toyota.
Rumors of a high performance variant will come with S58 motor to be used in next gen M3/4 with 480hp.

Akio was not happy after driving the new Supra, so they had to further develop it thats why such a big delay.
New concept should be at Geneva......
Old 02-06-18, 07:33 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

I owned a 2016 LS. Old. Old. I said that so people would know that I wasn’t talking about the newer one. Except for you.

Besides I don’t need to see it or sit in the new one to know it’s bad based on recent tests.

Old 02-06-18, 07:36 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

From all indications the Supra will get the BMW engines 2.0 4cyl and B58 3.0 inline 6 with 340-360hp with some minor Toyota parts - very similar to the Subaru Boxer engine in the GT86 with minimal input from Toyota.
Rumors of a high performance variant will come with S58 motor to be used in next gen M3/4 with 480hp.

Akio was not happy after driving the new Supra, so they had to further develop it thats why such a big delay.
New concept should be at Geneva......
Well, that’s half the catch-22 I mentioned earlier and kind of proves they can’t build decent engines or refuse to if they’re really having to use BMW engine. That’s horrible in my opinion that they can’t develop a decent enough engine to go inside their flagship sports coupe. Sad day, but that says a lot and kind of proves my point.
Old 02-06-18, 07:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Besides I don’t need to see it or sit in the new one to know it’s bad based on recent tests.

makes no sense. You should see it in person and sit in it before passing judgement. Maybe even drive it.

Old 02-06-18, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, of course, you can watch Alex Dykes, who IMO is the best and most thorough reviewer in the business. But, in the end, even watching an expert like him is really no substitute for tactile, hands-on experience.
Old 02-06-18, 07:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

makes no sense. You should see it in person and sit in it before passing judgement. Maybe even drive it.

And I personally have not ready any negative reviews of the car, have you? I don't think there are any. I read things about the car that made me draw a negative conclusion about it based on my preferences, but those things weren't presented in a bad way in the reviews in which I read them. References to the car as the "sportiest of the bunch", "total departure from the LS of old", "firmness", "tighter interior".

To say the car is "bad" because of reviews doesn't make sense based on any of the reviews I have read or watched. Most of the negative remarks about the car I have read come from the infotainment system, which is to be expected with Lexus' system (every auto journalist hates it and always mentions in any review that they hate it). All of the reviews I've read about the car's driving experience and dynamics have been very positive.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-06-18 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Don't know if this has already been posted (I didn't go back through almost 1000 posts)...but here is Alex's take on it. As usual, it's almost a half-hour long...so you can advance it if you want to skip some parts.

Old 02-06-18, 09:35 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think the issue is that what you think "is good" and what Toyota/Lexus think "is good" are at odds. Which is fine, just buy something else. I don't understand the point of continuing to argue about it when clearly, Toyota and Lexus has plenty of consumers who buy their products and thus logically think their engines "are good". You don't, hence why you no longer own one. Case closed.

What metric are you using to back this statement up, other than your own anti Toyota/Lexus bias? What "current Lexus" vehicles are displaying initial unreliability that would lead you to believe that they won't live up to Lexus historical reputation for reliability?

You don't like the brand or its cars, fine. What I don't understand is why so much effort is put towards continually telling us all the same reasons why you don't over and over again. I'm a car guy who likes talking about cars, I don't however go on forums for cars I don't own or like and post about how I no longer own them or like them. I had Jeeps, and posted on their forums. I don't any longer and no longer post. I had a Kia and posted on that forum, I don't any longer and no longer post. That car I have a new replacement car I much prefer to the Kia, but why would I continually go back to the Kia forum and post about how I don't like the way Kia does certain things? I post on the forum for the Pacifica...which is what I now own.

Preach!!! I agree with you 100%
Old 02-06-18, 10:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think I am gonna like the new LS.
doesn't really matter though right? I mean you said the new avalon is too expensive and you don't like big cars (although you have a 4runner and i think land cruiser besides the matrix and maybe corolla i don't remember) so i don't think you're buying a new ls?

Old 02-06-18, 10:20 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts
Cool

I owned a 2016 LS. Old. Old. I said that so people would know that I wasn’t talking about the newer one. Except for you.

Unfortunately since you reside in California you were never going to get that 5.4 sec 0-60 mph that you were looking for because California doesn’t sell 93 or 94 octane at the pump. Lexus claims of 0-60 were based upon perfect weather, flat sea level surfaces and 93 octane fuel.

It sounds like you like cars that are fast with sharp reflexes and quick steering. You obviously made a big mistake buying a ‘16 LS460. It’s not a fun to drive car. It’s produces adequate power, exceptional dependability and extreme comfort. I think you would’ve been happier if you would’ve bought a GS350 F Sport or better yet a V8 GS-F. I also like fast cars and own several fast cars currently. But I wouldn’t go shopping at a Lexus store expecting to find a fast car or exciting car. I drive my Lexus GS to the grocery store and I use it to go shopping and I park it at the airport. It’s comfortable, fuel efficient and very reliable. If you want fast the S7 is a good choice for you and I’m glad you found something that makes you happy.

I’ve test driven a few Audi’s and they are okay, but not my cup of tea. Ultimately I chose the GS350 over the Audi A6 3.0T as a daily driver because several car magazines said the Lexus was the sportier and better handling car. I also test drove a A6 3.0 TFSI with the sport pack back to back with a GS F sport and I found the GS more amusing and it had plenty of passing power. Yes the A6 was faster in a straight line, but that wasn’t a main priority for my daily driver. I have a C63 AMG and new Porsche Cayman 981S in the garage for when I wanna go fast.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h