Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Addition to the Garage - 2018 Odyssey Elite

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-17, 12:02 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
No roof vents? Thats interesting...
Seem to be on the B and C(ish) pillars. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a van without roof vents. Except for my parents POS Nissan Quest from 18 years ago lol.
Old 10-04-17, 12:31 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

The front feels fine. In the GS, I keep it at 72 and I'm comfortable year round. In the Odyssey, I need to keep it at ~67 to keep the rear comfortable. I also have to redirect all of the vents up and back so I don't freeze up front. I get that it's a larger vehicle and is harder to keep cool, but total number of vents is disappointing. Not that it would've swayed me to another vehicle though.
Old 10-04-17, 02:28 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Minivans get thrashed to hell so they have terrible resale. My 2012 Odyssey touring looks like a war zone by weeks end from my kids. It also has a ton of dings from trips and people who can €™t park so it €™s not worth selling it. We will keep it until the tires fall off
Our 2007 Sienna XLE had relatively good resale value when we sold it in April 2016 for $9,000, almost a full 10 years old by then. I still thought it was expensive when we bought it in the Summer of 2012, at 5-years-old for $17,500. Both prices were competitive in our local area. Maybe it is California making it pricier but condition of the Sienna was excellent when we purchased it and continued to be excellent when we sold it, albeit with a few extra scuffs here and there. I dare say our Sienna was probably among the best condition of all the listings on Craigslist and Cargurus, dealerships included. I thought it was bad enough we lost half the value between years 5-10 but would be even more upset if it was only worth 25% of what we bought it for. Minivans are so expensive now. Even if others have correctly pointed out that cars really aren't more expensive when you factor in inflation, I think the absolute cost of a vehicle nowadays is a bigger chunk/percentage of overall income and so it feels more expensive, inflation notwithstanding.
Old 10-04-17, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Because the solution to a poorly designed AC system in a $50,000 van is cracking a window lol
No...that's not what I was saying. I said if there was a defect or problem in the system (like a freon recharge needed or part replaced) that as temporary solution until it was fixed. That's different from a poorly-designed system to start with....in that case, I'd agree with you....open windows are not a solution.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-04-17 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-04-17, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
The front feels fine. In the GS, I keep it at 72 and I'm comfortable year round. In the Odyssey, I need to keep it at ~67 to keep the rear comfortable. I also have to redirect all of the vents up and back so I don't freeze up front. I get that it's a larger vehicle and is harder to keep cool, but total number of vents is disappointing. Not that it would've swayed me to another vehicle though.

Minivans can be difficult to cool by their very nature....large, boxy interiors with plenty of volume to cool down. That's why some of them have separate-units, front and rear.
Old 10-04-17, 04:38 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

BTW...don't update to iOS 11 yet. 2/3rds of my apps don't work yet as the developers haven't adjusted them for 11 yet. Seems stable but things like this pop up everywhere.
That is due to 64-bit app incompatibility. You can go into Settings > General > About > Applications to see a list of apps that are incompatible with iOS 11 before you make the update. Found three apps on my wife's phone that will be incompatible. Fortunately, they are three apps that she rarely uses anymore.
Old 10-04-17, 04:56 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Allen K
Quick 500 mile check in. They swapped out the entire driver's side mirror and it works perfectly now. Door issue never happened again so I'll chalk it up to first day gremlins.

Pros: Car rides super smooth, engine never seems to struggle, and it's just a comfortable ride. Android Auto makes my GS feel ancient and makes me slightly angry because of the wasted real estate on the screen in the GS

Cons: electronic nannies are annoying (but easily turned off), steering is annoyingly light, speed of the auto doors/hatch is really slow. In hot temps, the AC feels weak. Since we have the extra space, I put my 2.5 year old back to rear facing, but without roof vents, it can get very hot in the back since she doesn't have any airflow that can reach her.

In the middle: gas mileage is okay at about 20 MPG. It's probably at 80/20 city/highway at this point and with all of the idling I've been doing. Auto start/stop is a little jarring because I'm quick off the brake and on the gas and it can cause the van to be a bit jerky off the line.

Overall, still happy with it though
Congratulations on your new Ody, Allen! That is a fine minivan! I remember test driving the then-new 2011 Odyssey and Sienna. I remember noting how much smoother the Ody soaked up road irregularities than the Sienna, but there was also the characteristic Honda road noise. Glad to hear the new one is quieter...not sure how I feel about the use of noise-cancelling technology to induce a quiet interior. It feels like cheating to me to do it that way and only masks noises. What happens if the mic fails or speakers blow, are you suddenly faced with true vehicle noise levels? Ah, that's a topic for a different discussion and I'm not talking just about Honda as other manufacturers also use this approach. Back to topic...

...happy to read about your experiences in the new Ody. I do miss the convenience of sliding doors and the huge cargo capacity -- I was able to take home a full-size mattress in our old Sienna, lol, and I don't mean on the roof. I can't believe Odysseys come with 9- and 10-speed transmissions now. I don't know what is taking Honda and Toyota so long to strap on some hybrid technology to their minivans. Seems a no-brainer to me, as Chrysler figured out with the Pacifica. I suppose it is hard to balance the storage of hybrid batteries and sacrifice of one of the main benefits of a minivan -- cargo and storage! Happy motoring, Allen!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have they checked the freon level in the A/C? Might need a recharge or just have a slow leak. In the meantime, until they address that, if possible, just try lowering the rear window a little to let some fresh air in and circulate while your kid is back there, though that may not be possible with the sliding doors.
Perhaps I am misreading the last part, do the sliding door windows not go down?
Old 10-04-17, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Congratulations on your new Ody, Allen! That is a fine minivan! I remember test driving the then-new 2011 Odyssey and Sienna. I remember noting how much smoother the Ody soaked up road irregularities, but there was also the characteristic Honda road noise. Glad to hear the new one is quieter...not sure how I feel about the use of noise-cancelling technology to induce a quiet interior. It feels like cheating to me to do it that way and only masks noises. What happens if the mic fails or speakers blow, are you suddenly faced with true vehicle noise levels? Ah, that's a topic for a different discussion and I'm not talking just about Honda as other manufacturers also use this approach. Back to topic...
...happy to read about your experiences in the new Ody. I do miss the convenience of sliding doors and the huge cargo capacity -- I was able to take home a full-size mattress in our old Sienna, lol. I can't believe Odysseys come with 9- and 10-speed transmissions now. I don't know what is taking Honda and Toyota so long to strap on some hybrid technology to their minivans. Seems a no-brainer to me, as Chrysler figured out with the Pacifica. I suppose it is hard to balance the storage of hybrid batteries and sacrifice of one of the main benefits of a minivan -- cargo and storage! Happy motoring, Allen!

I'd assume so, but, on the latest version, don't know for sure. Honda used to use GM hardware for the Odyssey's sliding doors, but now I think they they use their own.
Old 10-04-17, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yes the windows in the sliding doors go down.
Old 10-04-17, 06:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Allen i think yours has rear ac, right? Maybe it's not working?
thread from older one about this...
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-200...t-working.html

edit hmmm, clarification on newer ones...
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/81-201...air-vents.html

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-04-17 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-04-17, 07:31 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Minivans can be difficult to cool by their very nature....large, boxy interiors with plenty of volume to cool down. That's why some of them have separate-units, front and rear.
Yeah, per the links that bit posted, it doesn't look like they have a rear condenser anymore. I know the vents are open because I've put a hand over each of them to make sure there's airflow. The way they're pointed, it just doesn't reach the kids.

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Congratulations on your new Ody, Allen! That is a fine minivan! I remember test driving the then-new 2011 Odyssey and Sienna. I remember noting how much smoother the Ody soaked up road irregularities than the Sienna, but there was also the characteristic Honda road noise. Glad to hear the new one is quieter...not sure how I feel about the use of noise-cancelling technology to induce a quiet interior. It feels like cheating to me to do it that way and only masks noises. What happens if the mic fails or speakers blow, are you suddenly faced with true vehicle noise levels? Ah, that's a topic for a different discussion and I'm not talking just about Honda as other manufacturers also use this approach. Back to topic...

...happy to read about your experiences in the new Ody. I do miss the convenience of sliding doors and the huge cargo capacity -- I was able to take home a full-size mattress in our old Sienna, lol, and I don't mean on the roof. I can't believe Odysseys come with 9- and 10-speed transmissions now. I don't know what is taking Honda and Toyota so long to strap on some hybrid technology to their minivans. Seems a no-brainer to me, as Chrysler figured out with the Pacifica. I suppose it is hard to balance the storage of hybrid batteries and sacrifice of one of the main benefits of a minivan -- cargo and storage! Happy motoring, Allen!

Thanks! I'm liking the van more than I thought I would to be honest. Having that much utility is really, really helpful when you have to lug around a bunch of stuff

Yes the windows in the sliding doors go down.
Yup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Allen i think yours has rear ac, right? Maybe it's not working?
thread from older one about this...
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-200...t-working.html

edit hmmm, this indicates it may be an issue...
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/81-201...air-vents.html
Thanks, good finds! At least I know to just make it colder than I'm used to
Old 10-04-17, 07:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

You will love having a van with kids. It really is the most practical vehicle you could possibly have.

I will never ever love it as a car guy, but as a family transportation appliance it is impossible to beat.
Old 10-04-17, 09:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I agree that the minivan is the best. My Touring Odyssey has served us well. Its beat to hell because we have taken it everywhere and back (over 100k in 5 years). Bet my resale value is nothing due to the thrashing but worth every penny
Old 10-05-17, 05:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My buddy said on his brand new one, the TPMS is lit....he checked his tires hot, and they were all around 37....so he texted me what should he do? I said dunno it should be in the manual, not sure if your car initializes or not....(2 of our cars do, the other does not, I'm thinking if there's no reset and tires are not low, then likely something is wrong)
Old 10-05-17, 05:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

but as a family transportation appliance it is impossible to beat.
Sooner or later, some guys put on their thinking cap.............

Quick Reply: New Addition to the Garage - 2018 Odyssey Elite