Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Capless gas tank Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 08:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Foreign object debris (FOD) can prevent the capless fuel filler from closing properly, causing evaporative emissions and triggering the CEL.

I am not saying that the capless fuel filler is bad, just saying that there are problems with it not closing properly that may cause Toyota (known to be a cautious automaker) to be cautious with it.
Well, of course no system is 100% foolproof, but my point was that loose-fitting and/or worn screw-type gas caps are a common trigger of the Check-Engine light. When people ask me what to do when the light comes on, that's usually the first thing I tell them....screw the cap on a little tighter (or take it off and put it back on again) and see if that doesn't do the trick, though sometimes it will take the computer a little while to re-set itself.

The reason that loose caps trigger the light is that it is an EPA-regulated function. EPA regs state that evaporation of gas fumes into the air from the filler-pipe and canister has to be prevented, and the caps normally do that with a tight seal. As the cap wears, or if it is not screwed on tight enough (usually, clicking sounds indicate a tight fit), small gaps can open up in the seal, allowing fumes to leak out and trigger the light. But........because the light says "Check ENGINE", not the gas-cap, a lot of people, without the proper training, don't know to look there first.
Old 09-21-17, 07:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's a nice feature. You can forget screwing/unscrewing caps, twist-clicks-to-verify, tethers that wear out or break, caps left on the gas pump or on the ground, other cars running over the cap and crushing it, worn-out caps triggering Check-Engine lights and failing emission tests, and several other problems. And, of course, you can ultimately thank Ford......they were the first to use capless-fueling in the American market, though I'm not sure they actually invented it.
Was doing a little research on this today. The capless designs do have their issues too. Check engine lights caused by a slightly open filler valve as well as a host of other issues. I will say, I don't think most people will have an issue.

What I do find interesting is that the German brands have not gone to this method of filling the gas tank. So it looks like it is an American and Honda thing for now. But Toyota for sure will offer it at some point.
Old 09-21-17, 09:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

And, of course, you can ultimately thank Ford......they were the first to use capless-fueling in the American market, though I'm not sure they actually invented it.
apparently they did.

https://www.google.com/patents/US5071018

Originally Posted by Sulu
I am not saying that the capless fuel filler is bad, just saying that there are problems with it not closing properly that may cause Toyota (known to be a cautious automaker) to be cautious with it.
i doubt that's the reason, they probably just don't want to pay ford to use it.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What I do find interesting is that the German brands have not gone to this method of filling the gas tank. So it looks like it is an American and Honda thing for now. But Toyota for sure will offer it at some point.
i think everyone will have it in a couple of years just like stupid keys are going away.
Old 09-21-17, 10:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i doubt that's the reason, they probably just don't want to pay ford to use it. :
Agreed. Toyota could very easily put together a capless filler in no time. Its just not essential right now. Eventually it will be. With their Tundra, Toyota added Flex Fuel to select models to try to better compete. With the capless filler now starting to appear on Honda, I wouldn't be surprised if were just a few years away.
Old 09-21-17, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It will probably become less important in the future than it is now, for several reasons......among them that the auto industry is, in general, becoming more and more electrified, less dependent on petroleum-based fuels such as gasoline and diesel-oil, and more dependent on alternate sources. More and more vehicles will be plugged in overnight (or for several hours) to get recharged, with small gas engines and relatively small fuel tanks in reserve only for longer trips where the hybrid-battery can't produce enough power for extended ranges.

We see that even on my car, the Lacrosse. One of the things that screwed up my factory-order was that GM decided, at the last minute, to yank out the 3.6L V6 I wanted out of the 2018s and make a four-cylinder hybrid powertrain as standard....lowering the base price some $1500 and making the V6 an option. They obviously made the hybrid standard for gas-mileage reasons, though the V6, 9-speed, and start/stop feature for the engine make for surprisingly good MPG for a car of this size as it is.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-17 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-21-17, 12:50 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Ah... MMarshall, you're taking me back to the days of my youth. Leaded-to-unleaded gas funnels, arab oil embargos, 55mph speed limits, speedometers limited to 85mph, lets not go to the metric system, disco sucks...memories.
Old 09-21-17, 02:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jkeller
Ah... MMarshall, you're taking me back to the days of my youth. Leaded-to-unleaded gas funnels, arab oil embargos, 55mph speed limits, speedometers limited to 85mph, lets not go to the metric system, disco sucks...memories.
Yeah....although I am not a speed demon, and generally got used to the 55-MPH limit, in general, those were the Dark Ages of our automotive history. The only good things to come out of that age (1970s), IMO, were standard front-disc brakes, lubed-for-life chassis components, and cleaner-running engines and fuel that no longer needed conventional tune-ups. EFI, clearcoat paint, and overdrive automatics, in general, waited till the next decade....the 1980s.
Old 09-21-17, 07:28 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

My NSX has it

Very nice convenience
Old 09-21-17, 08:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, people get spoiled so easily - a capless gas tank. I'm not even that old, but I remember in my Grandpas 80something Soviet ZAZ you had to lift up the hood, unscrew a cap, insert a funnel and pour gas from a 20 liter canister.
Old 09-22-17, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Wow, people get spoiled so easily - a capless gas tank. I'm not even that old, but I remember in my Grandpas 80something Soviet ZAZ you had to lift up the hood, unscrew a cap, insert a funnel and pour gas from a 20 liter canister.
That wasn't limited to just cars from behind the Iron Curtain. On the famous rear-engined, air-cooled Beetle, from West Germany, before the slightly larger, redesigned Super Beetle came out in the late 1960s with a conventional filler-door,, one did essentially the same thing as you did for refueling. You lifted the hood, and the gas tank was sitting in the cargo area, with a screw-off cap. You simply took off the cap and (visually) refilled it to the top of the tank, like with a typical motorcycle. The spare tire fit in the deep well just forward of the tank. I can remember filling many of them up in my first job out of high school, working at a military PX gas station that was extremely busy......we pumped around 300,000 gallons a month.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-22-17 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 10:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Where I live, they check the seal on the gas cap as part of the emissions testing. If your cap doesn't seal correctly, you fail. I'm sure they test the capless systems as well, if it doesn't seal, you fail.

Now tell me which is cheaper/easier to replace???? $10 for a new gas cap, or having to replace that whole filler neck or assembly that bolts to the fender??? I had a kind of brain dead friend who would always forget to replace the gas cap after he filled up. Well after losing the gas cap, he bought an aftermarket one that allowed you to insert the nozzle right through the middle, you didn't have to take it off. Of course it failed emissions, being a Chinese made POS.
Old 09-23-17, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Now tell me which is cheaper/easier to replace???? $10 for a new gas cap, or having to replace that whole filler neck or assembly that bolts to the fender??? I had a kind of brain dead friend who would always forget to replace the gas cap after he filled up. Well after losing the gas cap, he bought an aftermarket one that allowed you to insert the nozzle right through the middle, you didn't have to take it off. Of course it failed emissions, being a Chinese made POS.

Well, that's (probably) on him. Unless it was an old vehicle where parts were no longer available for it, all he probably would have had to do is get a new, factory-spec gas cap from the dealer parts-department. It might (?) have cost a little more than an aftermarket part, but it would have fit, passed inspection (assuming nothing else was damaged), and had a factory warranty on it.

As for the idea of Chinese-made vehicles being POS, I can't speak for all of them, but the Chinese-made Buick Envision is available in the American market. I've looked at several versions of it, and test-drove one for a review. Didn't find any assembly problems at all...it seemed as solidly screwed-together as anything I've seen from Japan or Korea, though every Envision I looked at did, for some reason, have a funny chemical-smell inside that was not your usual pleasant new-car smell. That smell was noted by other reviewers as well.
Old 09-24-17, 04:49 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Was doing a little research on this today. The capless designs do have their issues too. Check engine lights caused by a slightly open filler valve as well as a host of other issues. I will say, I don't think most people will have an issue.

New Aston Martin's have cap less gas fillers.
Old 09-24-17, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
New Aston Martin's have cap less gas fillers.
Not surprising. Ford invented the system, and it wasn't that long ago that Ford owned Aston Martin. Notice the Aston-style grilles on a number of Ford vehicles.....that's probably where the styling-influence came from. Of course, we're also seeing capless systems from companies that are not owned by Ford (my Buick, for example, has one)....so, perhaps, it's also a case of patent-rights expiring with time.
Old 09-24-17, 05:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, that's (probably) on him. Unless it was an old vehicle where parts were no longer available for it, all he probably would have had to do is get a new, factory-spec gas cap from the dealer parts-department. It might (?) have cost a little more than an aftermarket part, but it would have fit, passed inspection (assuming nothing else was damaged), and had a factory warranty on it.

As for the idea of Chinese-made vehicles being POS, I can't speak for all of them, but the Chinese-made Buick Envision is available in the American market. I've looked at several versions of it, and test-drove one for a review. Didn't find any assembly problems at all...it seemed as solidly screwed-together as anything I've seen from Japan or Korea, though every Envision I looked at did, for some reason, have a funny chemical-smell inside that was not your usual pleasant new-car smell. That smell was noted by other reviewers as well.
I meant the aftermarket gas cap was chinese garbage that failed emissions, if I wasn't clear.

I know the capless gas cap thing might be nice for keeping your hands clean, I assume that's why manufacturers have gone to it. Of course you could just clean that area when you wash your car, takes like all of 10-15 seconds to wipe it down with the car wash sponge.

Quick Reply: Capless gas tank Discussion