Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Worlds greatest drag race 7- with LC500

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 01:01 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,825 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Tell that to Lexus, many of the latest print ads I see tout the "Lexus Performance Line" with the LC, along with the RC F and GS F.
Yes. I mean, the LC is still a "performance" car... in a way. It's neither the most high-performance car on the market, nor is it designed to be. But, it can run circles around the average mainstream car, or even some entry-level luxury models. I don't think it's a mistake to put it up there. You have to remember, too, that the competition in WGDR this year was pretty insane. 600 horsepower was eclipsed multiple times.
Old 09-25-17, 10:47 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The same basic engine in the new LC has been around since model year 2007. I still don't think Toyota has really exploited this naturally aspirated version to its fullest. The way you get more power out of a naturally aspirated power plant is more displacement. 5.0 liters is a tiny *** V8 IMO. New Corvettes come standard with 6.2 liters of displacement. Increase the displacement, this thing should be singing more than 100hp/liter, especially with such tricks as 4 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing, improved technology in cylinder head flow, better direct fuel injection technology, etc.
Old 09-26-17, 07:00 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
I doubt a fully charged p100d with 300 mile range will run out of juice after running a 2 mile course full power.
Glitches can be said for a lot of high performance cars. First example comes to mind is the performance oriented Z06 over heating just after a lap or two. Does that mean the z06 is an inferior sports car? They fixed the issue right away, nothing is perfect...especially in the hp catagory
The EVs are baaaaad track cars. They run into heat issues really easily and run in reduced power output mode really quickly.

http://insideevs.com/expected-tesla-...l-power-video/

I have friends with model S (P90D) who can attest that reduced power mode comes on pretty quickly. The 0-60 though is a blast...nothing can touch it. It’s funny that even motorcycles get left in the dust when you launch it.
Old 09-26-17, 07:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yes. I mean, the LC is still a "performance" car... in a way. It's neither the most high-performance car on the market, nor is it designed to be. But, it can run circles around the average mainstream car, or even some entry-level luxury models. I don't think it's a mistake to put it up there. You have to remember, too, that the competition in WGDR this year was pretty insane. 600 horsepower was eclipsed multiple times.
I agree with you. The LC500 numbers are still pretty impressive. It is unfortunate that the engine is 10 years old.
Old 09-28-17, 05:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The same basic engine in the new LC has been around since model year 2007. I still don't think Toyota has really exploited this naturally aspirated version to its fullest. The way you get more power out of a naturally aspirated power plant is more displacement. 5.0 liters is a tiny *** V8 IMO. New Corvettes come standard with 6.2 liters of displacement. Increase the displacement, this thing should be singing more than 100hp/liter, especially with such tricks as 4 valves per cylinder, variable valve timing, improved technology in cylinder head flow, better direct fuel injection technology, etc.
OHV engines like the corvette have weaker power density compared to DOHC. A 5.0 DOHC engine makes as much hp as a 6.2 OHV. The RCF makes near 500 crank with an exhaust (+30rwhp) which is 100hp/liter. Corvettes already have variable valve timing and direct injection, there is only so much you can do with a single cam and 2 valves per cylinder . Imagine how lackluster a 5.0 OHV engine would be.
Old 09-28-17, 09:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Oh I know the LS motors don't make the same hp/liter as DOCH motors, thus that's why they are larger displacement. The LS motors also have a much broader power band with A TON of low end torque, they pull like a freight train from just off idle all the way to redline, which is why I love them so much.

I'm just saying if the Lexus/Toyota motor had more displacement than 5.0 liters, it would make more horsepower. They already use a 5.7 liter version of this motor in the Tundra and Land Cruiser, no reason they can't increase displacement on the high performance spec version of this engine that gets put into Lexus cars.

I know that "LT1" 6.2 liter Corvette motor might have a lot more displacement and make similar peak hp numbers as Toyota's DOCH 5.0 V8, but look at the power under the curve for the real story. Drive them both and tell me which one feels stronger, the low end torque along with the great pull from 4,000 to 6,000 rpm in the Corvette motor make it the champ IMO.

Just saying that while GM has continually tinkered with and improved their big V8, Lexus and Toyota have not. Both are great engines no doubt, but drive them back to back, you will agree GM builds the better performance V8, and gives it to you in a car that costs $40,000 to boot(the Camaro).