Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 09:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I don’t see why it’s such an issue for people to stay on the right if they are driving slow. It’s not a question of legality. Just don’t be an a-hole and occupy the passing lane if another car wants to pass you. I’ve personally see such crazy road rage that I think it’s just plain dumb.
Old 09-30-17, 11:46 PM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

As a father with 2 kids who follows the rules of the road to keep my family safe, I think there is a difference between using an overtaking lane correctly, and being a moron.

If you are in the passing lane and you are not passing, you are wrong. If you are passing someone but you yourself are driving under the limit to do so, and someone behind you is moving faster, and you are not close to overtaking, move over.
If you are in the passing lane and you are speeding up on someone who is passing another vehicle at the speed limit, you are wrong. Using the left lane is not a right to speed and if you think it is you are a muppet. Speed limits are a law, as much as everything else on the road is, including passing lane laws. The speed limit is the speed limit.

If you want to ***** and moan about people who are driving the speed limit, you while you speed, breaking separate law , you have no grounds, as you yourself are breaking a law. Its just retarded and arrogant to be honest.

Last edited by Moarpower; 10-01-17 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-01-17, 06:15 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Moarpower
As a father with 2 kids who follows the rules of the road to keep my family safe, I think there is a difference between using an overtaking lane correctly, and being a moron.

If you are in the passing lane and you are not passing, you are wrong. If you are passing someone but you yourself are driving under the limit to do so, and someone behind you is moving faster, and you are not close to overtaking, move over.
If you are in the passing lane and you are speeding up on someone who is passing another vehicle at the speed limit, you are wrong. Using the left lane is not a right to speed and if you think it is you are a muppet. Speed limits are a law, as much as everything else on the road is, including passing lane laws. The speed limit is the speed limit.

If you want to ***** and moan about people who are driving the speed limit, you while you speed, breaking separate law , you have no grounds, as you yourself are breaking a law. Its just retarded and arrogant to be honest.
it's back to one of the things I said bother me. People who think that only laws they agree with, apply to them.
Old 10-01-17, 06:24 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Moarpower

Agreed

Originally Posted by Coleroad
it's back to one of the things I said bother me. People who think that only laws they agree with, apply to them.
Agreed also.

Would just like to point out, people that say they "never speed", are just as hypocritical as the ones who say they "never use a cell phone while driving". Really?

If one is breaking the law, they one has no right to ***** about others doing so. I have said repeatedly that just because you are passing doesn't give you the right to be a jerk. But that goes the other way too.

Bottom line, we all need to be more courteous on the roads and highways.
Old 10-01-17, 06:30 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Slow left lane drivers for me that will stay there regardless of getting passed on the right and drivers that don't use turn signals.
Old 10-01-17, 07:16 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by plex
drivers that don't use turn signals.
I admit I have been guilty of this, on purpose. But only when I am the only one around LOL, which is rarely.
Old 10-01-17, 07:25 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Agreed

Agreed also.

Would just like to point out, people that say they "never speed", are just as hypocritical as the ones who say they "never use a cell phone while driving". Really?

If one is breaking the law, they one has no right to ***** about others doing so. I have said repeatedly that just because you are passing doesn't give you the right to be a jerk. But that goes the other way too.

Bottom line, we all need to be more courteous on the roads and highways.
yeah well on outside of residential streets and school zone I normally drive 3 or 4 mph over the limit. Like the law says you can't speed to pass. Well yes on a two lane road I speed to pass . I want to be in the wrong lane as short a time as possible. If I got pulled over for it there's no arguments, no complaints from me.

Now the the phone thing. I can say beyond a shadow of I doubt I never use a cell phone while driving. The only cell phone I have is a unactivated one . I keep it in the car should I ever need 911. I have my voip phone at the house. There's nothing that important I need a phone in my hand all the time. I get some people have to have them for work. So yes there are some of us who can truly say they don't ever use a phone and drive.
Old 10-01-17, 08:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got so many, but I'll just pick one--picking a horrible spot to pull over to the side of the road to wait, talk on your cell, etc. I'm not talking about emergencies. People don't take into consideration how close they are to an intersection, that people trying to pull out may not be able to see around them, that they are in a busy area where it's hard to get by; and they could pull up 100 yards, or pull into a side street, etc., etc. They just decide--"I need to stop, so I'll do it right here." No need to figure out if they should park there. And they are the same people that just start slowing down for no apparent reason, so I don't know if they want me to pass them or not--no signal; no hazard lights. Just generally clueless to the world around them.
Old 10-01-17, 09:45 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Don’t block people if you are slower, if you see people coming faster than you, MOVE OVER! If you think they are going too fast breaking the law, well the police will get them. I always let people pass me on interstate, but only 30% of the time people would do that, sigh

2. When there is a bumper to bumper traffic, there always will be someone moving so slow that leaves like 5 cars space between him and the car in the front, really?! Really!!!!! Just get up there and don’t slow the traffic even more!

3. Yes, the careless people using wiper on the freeway. Before you do so, make sure there is no car behind you, there are at least 3 times that I just washed my car, and someone use it the **** wiper to wash their windshield, and my whole front got sprayed...
Old 10-01-17, 11:37 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
100% agree. Even if you're going 10 over the limit, you're not entitled to the left lane... Better to be safe and just let them pass. I saw a video once where a Camaro driver was going pretty fast, weaving through traffic, and got stuck behind some slow pickup truck in the left lane. There was a semi truck in the right lane, so he couldn't go around. The pickup truck appeared to be going faster than the semi, but the pickup ended up staying pretty much even with the semi after a while, making it seem like the pickup slowed down in reaction to the other driver's speeding. Obviously the Camaro driver was having a bad day, as he tried to go around the other driver with all four tires off the pavement on the left, and ended up losing control and crashing into the left lane hogger, who also crashed into the semi truck. Granted, the Camaro driver was in the wrong, but it all could have been avoided if the guy in the left lane hadn't provoked the Camaro driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7B...nnel=TimLinton
Camaro driver is 100% at fault. Camaro driver was not having a bad day, he is a impatient dangerous jerk that caused a serious accident that could have killed several people. The Camaro driver cut right into the pickup driver because he refused to slow down and drive safe and I am sure the pickup driver after he did it slowed and rode evenly with the 18 wheeler so the Camaro riding his tail could not get around but that is no excuse to ride his tail weave in and out and then try to pass the guy on the grass shoulder and then turn right into him. Unless he was rushing to get himself or someone to the hospital because of a medical emergency there was no reason for the Camaro driver to be driving like that. Someone like that should not even be on the road.
Old 10-01-17, 01:00 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Now the the phone thing. I can say beyond a shadow of I doubt I never use a cell phone while driving. The only cell phone I have is a unactivated one . I keep it in the car should I ever need 911. I have my voip phone at the house. There's nothing that important I need a phone in my hand all the time. I get some people have to have them for work. So yes there are some of us who can truly say they don't ever use a phone and drive.
Then you, sir, are one of the few. 99% of people that say that are lying through their teeth and they know it.
Old 10-01-17, 02:00 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Then you, sir, are one of the few. 99% of people that say that are lying through their teeth and they know it.

lol though, I just thought after reading that, back in the day I did have a CB. So I guess back then that would be like talking on the phone and driving.
Old 10-01-17, 04:01 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used my phone to listen to my music when driving. And since I only drive 20 miles in a day with my M, I don’t like anyone bother me enjoy the driving and listening to my B&O. So do I use my phone? Yes. Do I look at it or lay hands on it? No, lol
btw i like the new iPhone feature that you can set the phone to know you are driving so you won’t get bothered when people call.
Old 10-01-17, 04:16 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I used my phone to listen to my music when driving. And since I only drive 20 miles in a day with my M, I don’t like anyone bother me enjoy the driving and listening to my B&O. So do I use my phone? Yes. Do I look at it or lay hands on it? No, lol
btw i like the new iPhone feature that you can set the phone to know you are driving so you won’t get bothered when people call.
I'm guilty of looking at phone sometimes in all other cars but the Supra. I have phone integrated with aftermarket head unit in Supra so I see map get all alerts plus I'm mostly glued to the road. I don't respond to text or even calls while "cruising"
Old 10-01-17, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I won't say I never speed by the exact definition of speeding (especially on secondary roads), but, in general, I stay pretty close to the limit........at least close enough to have never gotten a speeding ticket. The way I drove that day you rode with me is the way I usually drive....not necessarily Grandpa/Grandma, but sensible. I do not use a cell phone in the car, ever, so that is not an issue. I have, on occasion, though, gotten write-ups and warnings for things such as U-Turns and misjudged yellow/red light timing. One young female cop once stopped me and gave me a warning for using my high-beams, on my old Toyota Celica, when it was still dark, before sunrise, on a road where there was no other oncoming traffic. (that-vintage Celica had four huge round headlamps, and I guess it really showed up LOL). I still don't understand that warning.....she said that high-beams were illegal in a residential area, even with no oncoming traffic. That's not what it says in the Virginia Drivers' Manual, but I decided not to argue wth her or contest anything, since she did not give me any kind of fine or ticket.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-01-17 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?