Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-17, 05:49 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Camaro driver is 100% at fault. Camaro driver was not having a bad day, he is a impatient dangerous jerk that caused a serious accident that could have killed several people. The Camaro driver cut right into the pickup driver because he refused to slow down and drive safe and I am sure the pickup driver after he did it slowed and rode evenly with the 18 wheeler so the Camaro riding his tail could not get around but that is no excuse to ride his tail weave in and out and then try to pass the guy on the grass shoulder and then turn right into him. Unless he was rushing to get himself or someone to the hospital because of a medical emergency there was no reason for the Camaro driver to be driving like that. Someone like that should not even be on the road.
while I will agree the Camaro driver was a jerk, so was the pickup driver.. if you watch the video, you will see that initially the Camaro was about to change lanes in front of the pick-up, while being a jerk and being close enough to cut the pickup off, the pickup sped up to prevent the lane change, if the pickup had backed off and allow the Camaro to get in front of him, the accident would not have occurred.

then the pickup driver deliberately slowed and prevented the Camaro driver from passing, and the pickup driver refused to pass the semi, it was clear and obvious that the pickup driver was intentionally slowing to prevent the Camaro from passing on the right.

then when the Camaro driver decided to go high and left on the shoulder the pickup driver sped up again as the Camaro attempted to cut over back into the lane and the Camaro struck the truck.

both the Camaro and the Pickup driver are at fault, while the Camaro driver was initially the aggressive jerk, the pickup driver escaladed the situation with his "bull dog, this is my spot you aren't passing me" behavior.

I remember this in the news and both the pickup driver and the Camaro driver were cited for aggressive driving, the Camaro driver was additionally taken into custody for first degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.
Old 10-01-17, 09:22 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

Good start of a list of items so far....

The left lane "camper" (I call them) is a pet peeve and in lovely California people act like it is their right to use the left lane in a 3 or more lane highway no matter how fast or slow they are going relative to other cars around them. (Especially Prius owners ..... ). I have to routinely pass these vehicles in the #2 lane when it is obvious they will not be getting out of the way..... (So, yes, I am one of those "aggressive" drivers but I will never stay in the #1 lane if the others are clear...).

Second vote goes to drivers using cell phones in their hands; no excuse with all of the options we have but appears many owners have no clue how to pair their phones up using BT to their cars.... For the '01 that has no BT I employ an FM transmitter smart phone holder.... works well and no hands needed....
Old 10-02-17, 07:29 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,731 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
while I will agree the Camaro driver was a jerk, so was the pickup driver.. if you watch the video, you will see that initially the Camaro was about to change lanes in front of the pick-up, while being a jerk and being close enough to cut the pickup off, the pickup sped up to prevent the lane change, if the pickup had backed off and allow the Camaro to get in front of him, the accident would not have occurred.

then the pickup driver deliberately slowed and prevented the Camaro driver from passing, and the pickup driver refused to pass the semi, it was clear and obvious that the pickup driver was intentionally slowing to prevent the Camaro from passing on the right.

then when the Camaro driver decided to go high and left on the shoulder the pickup driver sped up again as the Camaro attempted to cut over back into the lane and the Camaro struck the truck.

both the Camaro and the Pickup driver are at fault, while the Camaro driver was initially the aggressive jerk, the pickup driver escaladed the situation with his "bull dog, this is my spot you aren't passing me" behavior.

I remember this in the news and both the pickup driver and the Camaro driver were cited for aggressive driving, the Camaro driver was additionally taken into custody for first degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.
Agreed. I mentioned, too, that the Camaro driver is the one at fault. However, as I also mentioned, the pickup truck driver should not have provoked the other driver. I never new the Camaro driver was unlicensed - yikes!
Old 10-02-17, 07:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Today two things on the way to work. One, a junk car passed me, and everyone else, on the shoulder, it was some sort of 4 Chevy circa early 2000's. imho this gets dicey at 4 way intersections--it's supposed to be one lane/car, not two. Then, I'm doing 60 in a 45, and this Maserati Levante (looked like junk as well haha) passes me and violently cut me off, as if to tell me, move over grandpa, you're driving too slow in your LS. They guy looked to be 70 or so. This is just dumb, imho, esp. with the advent of dash cams. But I think back to that trip to KY where in 5 days of driving, not a single incident of aggressive driving. So the world is not all like this. What I did to put the Maserati in its place, was to change lanes (choosing the best one based on traffic patterns day in, day out), and leave him in the dust after the Art Museum.
Old 10-02-17, 08:16 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Today two things on the way to work. One, a junk car passed me, and everyone else, on the shoulder, it was some sort of 4 Chevy circa early 2000's. imho this gets dicey at 4 way intersections--it's supposed to be one lane/car, not two. Then, I'm doing 60 in a 45, and this Maserati Levante (looked like junk as well haha) passes me and violently cut me off, as if to tell me, move over grandpa, you're driving too slow in your LS. They guy looked to be 70 or so. This is just dumb, imho, esp. with the advent of dash cams. But I think back to that trip to KY where in 5 days of driving, not a single incident of aggressive driving. So the world is not all like this. What I did to put the Maserati in its place, was to change lanes (choosing the best one based on traffic patterns day in, day out), and leave him in the dust after the Art Museum.
Why should you "put him in his place"? It's not your concern.

then, on top of that, you were already doing 60 in a 45, thats 15mph over the posted limit. And you went even faster? Just to put him in his place.

how many lives did you endanger with your act of vigilante justice? If someone else wants to be an unsafe a$$, let them go. Don't escalate the problem by taking matter into your own hands. What, ultimately, did you teach that guy by ripping past him? Nothing. Not a damn thing. Tomorrow he is still going to be driving like that, and eventually he will have a wreck or get a ticket and maybe learn his lesson.
Old 10-02-17, 08:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Why should you "put him in his place"? It's not your concern.

then, on top of that, you were already doing 60 in a 45, thats 15mph over the posted limit. And you went even faster? Just to put him in his place.

how many lives did you endanger with your act of vigilante justice? If someone else wants to be an unsafe a$$, let them go. Don't escalate the problem by taking matter into your own hands. What, ultimately, did you teach that guy by ripping past him? Nothing. Not a damn thing. Tomorrow he is still going to be driving like that, and eventually he will have a wreck or get a ticket and maybe learn his lesson.
Nope, maybe I didn't describe the situation quite correctly. He blew me away and cut me off, I let him go. At the stop light, I changed lanes to the left, and passed him at maybe 5-15 mph. He tried to follow but could not make a lane change, and he was history. I think that I played it smart, but now you're saying I'm a vigilante. Oh well. And yes, I was 15 mph over the limit.

Gosh, you're very extreme, when I say put him in his place, I mean that I used experience to choose the lane that is going to flow the best around the museum. It's all good.
Old 10-02-17, 08:29 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Nope, maybe I didn't describe the situation quite correctly. He blew me away and cut me off, I let him go. At the stop light, I changed lanes to the left, and passed him at maybe 5-15 mph. He tried to follow but could not make a lane change, and he was history. I think that I played it smart, but now you're saying I'm a vigilante. Oh well. And yes, I was 15 mph over the limit.

Gosh, you're very extreme, when I say put him in his place, I mean that I used experience to choose the lane that is going to flow the best around the museum. It's all good.
I got what you meant. After he passed you just picked, and stayed in the lane that moved most productively. Not that you were racing him. You proved intelligent driving was better than aggressive driving. That's what you meant by you showed him, no vigilante justice.
Old 10-02-17, 08:51 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

oh, ok. I can admit when i am wrong. I misunderstood what you were saying.

As far as the speeding, i am not innocent there either. 15 over is faster than i would go in most situations, but traffic flow ultimately dictates.
Old 10-02-17, 10:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

As far as the speeding, i am not innocent there either. 15 over is faster than i would go in most situations, but traffic flow ultimately dictates.
No worries, I understand where you're coming from, these things can escalate very easily so it makes sense not to be bothered and mind one's own business.....the problem is where I live, it's all the time (like the woman who passed everyone on the shoulder this AM and then came upon the 4-way stop--one direction now has 2 people, the other three have only 1), this I know is a no-win situation if anyone does anything other than to let her go)....but like I said, I realize there is another way, like when I spent time in KY. No aggressive driving, none, in 5 days. The waitresses/bartenders (policy I guess) called me by my first name, and constantly asked if I needed anything, etc. If people were that nice here, we'd almost be suspicious because it just doesn't happen at an ordinary place. I actually was curious how they could remember, and saw that they placed name tags on the inside of the bar (this was a Longhorn) and erased them when new customers came in....
Old 10-02-17, 02:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds

Both were behaving like jerks, I can agree with that but it was the Camaro driver who was driving in a very dangerous manner, pulled a very dangerous move that 100% caused the accident. There are jerks on the road doing things all the time, tailgating, honking, giving other drivers the brights, hogging a lane and not letting someone pass but in most cases nothing happens because jerk behavior is normally not dangerous until you do something like the Camaro driver.

I kind of see why the truck driver would get irritated at the Camaro driver and not let the Camaro driver cut him off in a very close dangerous manner to get in front of him if the Camaro is weaving in and out flying up on him and attempted to make a right hand pass that would have come extremely close and possibly caused a accident or for him to have to slam on his breaks and lose control. Being a jerk is legal and normally does not cause accidents, trying to pass on the grass shoulder and then ramming someone on the road to get in is illegal, dangerous, and does cause accidents.

From the report the Camaro driver was drunk and driving without a license so this is probably normal behavior for him and adds more proof that he definitely is 100% at fault for the accident.
Old 10-02-17, 05:10 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You were doing 60mph on the Ben Franklin Parkway? Or on Kelly Drive?
Old 10-02-17, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

From what I understand, TX is very lenient on speeding. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand they once sold coupon-books in the state for state-approved discounts off of speeding tickets. I've never heard of that happening in any other state.
Old 10-02-17, 08:36 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Im not sure if thats true or not. But they are pretty lenient. I have been pulled over a few times, always for 10+ over, and never gotten a ticket.

I most definitely added another left lane hog deterrent today

100,000 lumens total.

Old 10-02-17, 08:49 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Im not sure if thats true or not. But they are pretty lenient. I have been pulled over a few times, always for 10+ over, and never gotten a ticket.

I most definitely added another left lane hog deterrent today

100,000 lumens total.

Hahaha. I’d like to see their face when you light those up.
Old 10-02-17, 09:01 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

1. Diesel trucks can't control how much smoke comes out of their exhaust. That is set by the ECM. Some are tuned to have more fuel, and as a result, get more smoke, but the result can't be helped. Black smoke comes from a rich fuel burn.

2. Those "clouds of black smoke" might smell bad, but they contain less pollutant's than your average family sedan.

3. Trucks that do this, have no emissions restrictions. That means no DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst), no EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and use no DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). The ones that do use/have those things, do not have smoke if they are working correctly.

4. Any Diesel Pickup made after 2014 is required to have an EGR/DEF/DPF/DOC system in place. It is an EPA Mandate and as such, a federal law. If you see a truck driving that is newer than 2014, and is blowing black smoke, it is either illegally deleted/modded and tuned (most likely), or it is malfunctioning.

5. Saying they should have their vehicle crushed is childish at best. A ticket, sure, but crushing? It isn't street racing. Some of these trucks cost more than a new Lexus. How would you feel if you just bought a new Lexus LS for 80k and the government took it away and crushed it because you did something dumb?
uhhhhh.. i am not talking work trucks.. i am talking typical F150/250 driven by someone who doesn't even own a screwdriver..

When people do the diesel smoke move, whatever it's called.. it's done intentionally 90%+ of the time..

Quick Reply: What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?