Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What other people do that annoys you when sharing the road?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 09:03 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Im not sure if thats true or not. But they are pretty lenient. I have been pulled over a few times, always for 10+ over, and never gotten a ticket.

I most definitely added another left lane hog deterrent today

100,000 lumens total.
I hope you get a fat ticket and/or your car impounded for those street-illegal lights if you ever use it on a poor soul..
no different than the guy in honda pilot with cheap aftermarket HIDs just blinding eveyrone on the road.
Old 10-02-17, 09:55 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I hope you get a fat ticket and/or your car impounded for those street-illegal lights if you ever use it on a poor soul..
no different than the guy in honda pilot with cheap aftermarket HIDs just blinding eveyrone on the road.
first off, they are not illegal, as i am a volunteer SAR with my county.

second off, i would NEVER turn this big bastard on in traffic. They are strictly for use during SAR, hunting, or working on my family land or driving rural roads at night. The headlights do just fine for driving at night on interstates. My parents live 2 hours from me, and there isnt an interstate mile between us. The family land is about an hour (halfway between us) and same applies.

you really wouldnt understand unless you live in rural texas. I NEED to see a half a mile down the 2 lane farm-market roads. At 10pm, there may not be another car for 10 miles or more. 400lb hogs, deer, loose cattle or horses are all hazards that cant be seen at 65+ in pitch black until its too late. Have you ever hit a 400lb feral hog at 70mph? I havent either. But i have friends who have. One of them totalled a new f350.

i have a switch bank with individual switches and a master switch, so if i see headlights or tailights in the distance, i can turn them off quickly.

Never make assumptions about people. If you are ever traveling through my county and have a nasty accident, it might just be me that is first on the scene. I can usually get to an accident much faster than police because I am closer. State troopers would have to come from several towns away.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 10-02-17 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-03-17, 05:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You were doing 60mph on the Ben Franklin Parkway? Or on Kelly Drive?
MLK Drive, I don't think it's possible on the Kelly but I could be wrong. The Ben would be crazy. Plus there are usually PD on the Kelly, and it would be somewhat dangerous.

Dunno if you drive it, but if you travel at 60, you will be passed, my experience is into the city, not out. Out is much slower.

p.s. Just thought of this, I generally like to keep up with the flow of traffic, but don't necessarily drive fast. the speed limit on the Turnpike is 70 mph, and I like to go 72-75 or so. My wife plays the 10-11 rule and likes to drive about 80 in a 70, which is about avg. to above avg. Don't get me wrong, I've driven 155 and been caught--then again, I was 19 y.o. and reckless. Which is why I worry about kids, there's no reason to believe they won't try the same stunts.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 10-03-17 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-03-17, 05:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I don't know what anybody has anymore, and I guess I'll likely never try aftermarket HIDs since 3/4 of our cars already have them from the factory....but I used to hate the ones that were bluish and halogen, but blinding. Don't see them anymore, this was likely 5-10 yrs. ago that they were en vogue. I still prefer adaptive xenon to adaptive LED. I like the cool 25,000 or 40,000 volt warning sticker under the hood with xenons....you know the stick figure getting shocked with the lightning bolt
Old 10-03-17, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

There are two things, not mentioned here, that go on in parking lots thing that irk the hell out of me. One is people who carelessly just roll into parking spaces at an angle way off-center, or with the ends of their vehicles sticking out over the sides....that makes it difficult or impossible for those, especially with larger vehicles, to use the spaces on either side.

The other is people who park an inch away from your vehicle, where you can't even get the doors open and get in. Chances are they will have already walked away, so you can't even say something to them, or pease ask them to move over a little, though you can leave a note on their windshield politely asking them not to do it again.

I've had this happen a few times......(and I'm not a small guy) where I had to get in on the passengers' side and shimmy my way over the console to the drivers' side.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-17 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-03-17, 09:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
MLK Drive, I don't think it's possible on the Kelly but I could be wrong. The Ben would be crazy. Plus there are usually PD on the Kelly, and it would be somewhat dangerous.

Dunno if you drive it, but if you travel at 60, you will be passed, my experience is into the city, not out. Out is much slower.

p.s. Just thought of this, I generally like to keep up with the flow of traffic, but don't necessarily drive fast. the speed limit on the Turnpike is 70 mph, and I like to go 72-75 or so. My wife plays the 10-11 rule and likes to drive about 80 in a 70, which is about avg. to above avg. Don't get me wrong, I've driven 155 and been caught--then again, I was 19 y.o. and reckless. Which is why I worry about kids, there's no reason to believe they won't try the same stunts.
Yup--ok. That makes more sense.
Old 10-03-17, 10:00 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

S~~~low drivers, tail gaters. May be they are looking for an accident...? Every morning when I go out, this one guy does 60kph in the middle lane essentially blocking the lane. Speed limit is 110kph.
Old 10-03-17, 10:08 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Definitely agree with comments about drivers that can't seem to stay in their lanes, whether straight or during a turn.

Then there are those that enter an intersection when there isn't clearance and they end up blocking the intersection when their green becomes red. Worse are those that see the intersection blocked yet continue to add their car to the growing blockage. Smart.

Also bugs me too when drivers change lanes in front of me without blinkers or litter the road.

Although it doesn't necessarily upset me that drivers have small dogs in their lap, it does make me uneasy driving next to them.

Red light runners are also a pet peeve, especially since I was hit by one during high school. I had posted about someone backing into our LS in a parking lot recently, but 5 minutes before that I witnessed this impatient driver creeping through a red. All to save a few seconds. Sigh.