Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it common to have no manual in a used car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 05:29 AM
ilexusnow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it common to have no manual in a used car?

Is it common to sell a used car without owner's manual?
I purchased a used car. Didn't check the glove compartment. Drove home and realized I had no owner's manual.
I've contacted the dealership and they told me (after I had purchased) that they sell cars in "AS IS" condition. Some cars don't come with manuals.
I've purchased pre-owned cars before (Nissan, Honda) they all had their manuals....When I was buying a Lexus I just assumed it'd be there. It did not even cross my mind
that my car manual would not be in my car. I had ordered one (bought one from Amazon for $120). Unexpected expenses. Told this to car dealership, they did nothing about it.
Old 09-30-17, 06:00 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 690 Likes on 511 Posts

Probably not common, but who reads the paper manual anymore. It should be available for free on-line. It's much easier to navigate than a hard copy, too.
Old 09-30-17, 06:26 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

One of a few things happen. One when the owner cleans the car out they just grab everything. Two, they took it out at some point to look something up, and never put it back in. Three I think some knowing they are getting rid of the car take it out sell them. I know people do that with like the convertible top cover.
Old 09-30-17, 06:46 AM
ilexusnow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
Probably not common, but who reads the paper manual anymore. It should be available for free on-line. It's much easier to navigate than a hard copy, too.
The online version is a pdf file. Which I have to download and read it only on my computer or print a large stack of paper if I want paperback. The manual had important phone numbers too...
Old 09-30-17, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
One of a few things happen. One when the owner cleans the car out they just grab everything.
That's just carelessness and sloppiness.....maybe even laziness. It is simple common courtesy, when you turn the vehicle over to a new owner (or to a dealership, on a trade-in) to leave the manual in the glove box (many of them come with specially-designed folders). These days, video-screns and Infotainment systems are so complex that, like with my Lacrosse, they often come with a smaller manual of their own.

Originally Posted by Mike728
They gave me a paper copy at the dealership when I ordered my new Lacrosse. Since I didn't get the car for a couple of months, I spent hours going through both that, and the electronically-downloaded version you can get off the Internet, getting familiar with as many of the electronic features as I could before the car was delivered. At home, sitting on your computer, I agree it's nice to have a downloaded, on-line copy on the screen in front of you. But, sitting in the car, it's also nice to have a paper copy in the glove box...you know exactly where it is, you don't have to screw around with menus or downloads trying to bring it up on a screen, and it's instantly ready for use.
Old 09-30-17, 08:42 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's just carelessness and sloppiness.....maybe even laziness. It is simple common courtesy, when you turn the vehicle over to a new owner (or to a dealership, on a trade-in) to leave the manual in the glove box (many of them come with specially-designed folders). These days, video-screns and Infotainment systems are so complex that, like with my Lacrosse, they often come with a smaller manual of their own.

You kno that, I know that, but there's people out there with no common courtesy. Those are the same people who do things like leave their shopping cart smack in the middle of the isle, and walk to the other end . Some people just don't care.
Old 09-30-17, 08:44 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 456 Posts

Complete sets of manuals for your model and year are often available on ebay, usually reasonably inexpensively.
Old 09-30-17, 11:08 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Is it common to have no manual in a used car?
Yes. Used cars that are traded in may or may not have the manuals. Dealers will take anything the guest will give them ie books, second key, service history reports. But it's not required to return manuals. If the car is used, its up to the dealer if they want to spend extra money putting manuals, and if they do its a courtesy. If the vehicle is CPO, there's a good chance it'll have them.
Old 09-30-17, 11:33 AM
ilexusnow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swajames
Complete sets of manuals for your model and year are often available on ebay, usually reasonably inexpensively.
ebay and amazon prices were the same for my manual. I've already purchased it off Amazon. I probably should've looked in glove compartment before purchasing a vehicle. I just assumed that such huge and fancy dealership would have the manual no problem.
Old 09-30-17, 11:58 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if its not with the car when traded why would it have the manual when sold? At the dealership the only time a car used car will have the manual is if its a CPO car, more often than not it never had one when traded in
Old 09-30-17, 12:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

people stash the manual somewhere and forget where they put it when they sell the car
Old 10-02-17, 05:39 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just bought a used car from a dealer and apparently they didn’t touch the inside, manual was in the glove box. The owner jotted down every oil change w/date, mileage, oil type
Old 10-02-17, 08:00 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Whenever I trade in/sell a car, I always try to make sure the manual and all keys are there with it. However, just a few months back when we moved, I found the manual from my 1986 Toyota MR-2 that I sold years ago. Oops...
Old 10-02-17, 08:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Sometimes people like to sell things on eBay. I didn't catch the reference when I noticed my LS430 didn't have a tool kit--someone said you can probably buy it back on eBay. Luckily I found one for $53 shipped, like most, never used to include the original AA batteries for the flashlight, still in the wrapper. Wayne Carini would approve!

If it's a Lexus, Lexus will send you manuals for free.
Old 10-02-17, 08:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Just bought a used car from a dealer and apparently they didn’t touch the inside, manual was in the glove box. The owner jotted down every oil change w/date, mileage, oil type
My '06 LS430 has an insert, "Florida and the Lemon Law." It also has a Naples sticker on the windshield (fortunately or unfortunately the original glass), and the sales and service business cards in the manual binder. I like that these authenticate that the car spent its life in Naples, FLA, which took all those years of salted roads off its life.

The only things missing are the credit card key, and the valet key....2 master keys were included...

Quick Reply: Is it common to have no manual in a used car?