Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car title taking forever to get

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 02:22 PM
ilexusnow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car title taking forever to get

It never happened to me before...

We've purchased a used car from dealership and my license plate will expire in 26 days.
Our sales person assured us that we'll get it in 2 weeks. It's been 3 weeks. Called him today, talked to him. He said : usually it takes them 2 weeks, sometimes 2.5 weeks sometimes a month....
He said he'll call me today to keep me posted on status of that. Day is almost over and no phone call, no message.
I read online and looks like I am not the only one who has issue getting their license plate from that dealership. I don't know how others resolved the issue and have no way of contacting them but I am starting to worry that I am getting pressed for time and no sign of documentations in mail. I can't file for license plate with BMV... why is it so difficult for this dealership to send in documents.
Overall this dealership is treating us like crap. I've never received such crappy service in my life. And it's Lexus dealership. I love the cars and we were thinking of buying a brand new one but now with the service we are experiencing with used one, I am not so sure it would be a good idea to buy a brand new car from them.

What do I do to get them start a ball rolling with papers? So my bank could get a title and send me appropriate papers to go to BMV? Thanks.
Old 10-02-17, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

My experience with new cars, at a number of different dealerships, is that four weeks is about average. Besides, if you did not pay cash (or a check) for the car outright, and there is a lien on it (bank, credit-union, dealer/manufacturer credit, etc...) the title will not go directly to you, but to whoever the lien-holder is until the car is paid off....then they will give the title to you, and the car will be legally yours.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-02-17 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 03:20 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

I purchased used GS350 from Toyota dealer (end of 2016), and it took almost 4 weeks for license plate, and a month and a half for title, but I received the letter from the tax/title office around a month.
Old 10-02-17, 03:54 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

just get them to issue another temp tag
Old 10-02-17, 05:24 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My experience with new cars, at a number of different dealerships, is that four weeks is about average. Besides, if you did not pay cash (or a check) for the car outright, and there is a lien on it (bank, credit-union, dealer/manufacturer credit, etc...) the title will not go directly to you, but to whoever the lien-holder is until the car is paid off....then they will give the title to you, and the car will be legally yours.
when I lived in Michigan you received a title if you had a lien or not. I don't know how Indiana does it. Other states I've lived in you don't if you have a lien. Even Michigan may have changed since I left.

My my camaro I bought last year, took them 3 months to get the paper work done.
Old 10-02-17, 07:02 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

This is all new to me. Here in Ontario, Canada, we are obliged to give the dealer a few days (typically 3 days or so) to prepare the vehicle, and when we do, everything is ready -- all the legal, Ministry of Transportation paperwork is ready, the title to the car is ready, the plates (if new) are on the vehicle (otherwise they are transferred upon pick-up). The only things that may not be ready are dealer-installed options and accessories that were either forgotten or on back-order.